Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for another CC?

tag
aodfan
Established Member

Should I apply for another CC?

So here is the deal, I just recently bought a house (closed Aug 17th) and within the first month the dishwasher went out.  So I went to Home Depot to get a new one on credit.  I was not able to get approved instantly in store, I would assume that it was to do with the address/information because my credit was pretty good.  Anyways, they (Citi) said the only way they could verify me was with a "text" to my cellphone, but for some reason it was not coming through.  

Long story short, I decided to go home and look who else had the dishwasher for sale.  

I saw Sears and tried applying for their card, but to only find out same issue as the Home Depot card (they are both through Citi).  At this point I am starting to get desperate, I need a new dishwasher and don't have the up front cash.  I finally tried one of the local applicance stores here, it is through Synchrony and was instantly approved for $2500.  Now, I was thinking...I do have a JCPenny card that is through Synchrony as well and have been current on it, so maybe they took that into consideration.

Then a couple days later I get an email that my Sears card had been approved!?  I called to verify and sure enough...I was approved for $2500 there as well.  But I never got approved for the Home Depot, weird.

So, with a new house and all, with the paying of news bills and such I was thinking I need to get an overall credit card and decided on Captial One QuickSilver Visa.  I was thinking that since my auto loan is through Captial One that I should have no problem getting one through them.  Applied online last night and got the message that they need to look further into my application and to wait 7-10 days.  I called right afterwards to confirm and there was nothing they could do, I just had to wait.  Today I saw the backdoor numbers on this forum and gave it a try, but gave me the same 7-10 days...

So, the question is...do I just wait out the 7-10 days and SEE if I am approved, or should I try applying for something like the Chase Freedom Unlimited?

For my credit overview, 720-730s, 12 years of credit, shows no lates, no delinquents, several(15) open accounts from my past and student loans, only 13% utilization, but over the past 2 years 7 inquiries(including the house and my auto loan from 02/15).

11/10/16 EX: 769 | EQ: 767 | TU: 748 | AAoA: 7.8 yrs | Oldest Account: 14.4 yrs | Utilization: 2.4% | Total CL: $39,300

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for another CC?

I would wait until your new address is updated to the cb's.  I can only assume that this the reason why you are not getting instant approvals at this time.  Your scores seem fine and within range to be approved.

However, since you are approved with sears, I would just use them.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 9
aodfan
Established Member

Probably so, I looked through my mail stack and found the letter for the Home Depot.  The reason for decline was only due to unable to verify indentity, so other than that I should have been approved for line of credit.

11/10/16 EX: 769 | EQ: 767 | TU: 748 | AAoA: 7.8 yrs | Oldest Account: 14.4 yrs | Utilization: 2.4% | Total CL: $39,300

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait and see before app'ing more.
Message 4 of 9
aodfan
Established Member

Ok, well, good thing that I waited.  Got my letter today that I was approved for 10K.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you verify your identity with the Home Depot app or did you get the $10K limit on the Sears card?

Message 6 of 9
aodfan
Established Member

Never followed up on the HD. Sears was 2.5k, 10k is for the Cap1 Quicksilver.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I probably would and see what they say. Good luck!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aodfan@

😃<______!!!NOIIICE!!!________>😃
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.