cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve?

I've been a fan of the card since they first announced the ridiculous sign-up bonus (which I know has since been reduced) and have been trying to rebuild and improve my credit to finally be eligible.

A bit of background - I'm 25 and had been an authorized user under my parents' credit cards which they have defaulted on a couple, lowering my credit score to a measley <500. I've been able to remove all the charge offs / collections related to their credit history and have slowly been rebuilding my credit over the past year as I've gained true financial independence. See below for my details:

Income: $150,000 - $175,000 a year

Capital One Platinum Mastercard: $3,000 limit (opened 2.5 years ago)

Capital One Quicksilver One Card: $300 limit (opened 4 months ago, should be increasing limit next month)

Student Loan: $6,500 balance

One Checking Account with Chase: $36,000 balance

Transunion CK Score: 658

Equifax CK Score: 655

Keep my utilization very low (<5%) as I never charge anything I can't immediately pay and I naturally have to keep paying down my quicksilver card due to its low limit

To summarize, I'm a big fan of the CSR but understand if I should express patience and wait to build up more months of responsible payment under my belt and get my score north of ~700 or so before applying for something like the CSR. I'd eventually also want to pair it with the Freedom Unlimited, though unsure if it may help if I apply for the FU first even though I'd want to start collecting points on the CSR sooner rather than later. Any and all advice would be helpful!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve?

First thing I would do is get your FICO 08 scores and see what's reporting on it to see where you stand. Go to CreditCheckTotal (CCT) and get their $1 trial to get your three credit bureaus reports and cancel it once you do so you don't get charged for the monthly membership. Because assuming you got rid of all the negatives from your report dunno why your score it so low even for FAKO scores. Will let us see where you stand better and what you can do to improve your odds.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CK scores are useless, stop looking at them or reporting them.  Get your free FICO8 score from creditscorecard.com (EX, monthly) or get all 3 FICO8s from CCT with the $1 trial.

If you bank with Chase just go into a branch today and ask a personal banker if you have any preapprovals.

Message 3 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you bank with Chase just go into a branch today and ask a personal banker if you have any preapprovals.

I would check your online banking to see if you have offers on there too if the branch option isn't feasible.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for the quick replies. Just signed up for CCT and my scores were as follows:

FICO 8

EX - 595

TU - 585

EQ - 623

I now see that there all 3 credit bureaus are still reporting a negative account with a bad debt balance of $683 on a C/O account from BoA. Credit Karma didn't report this as a negative account so I'm glad I checked on CCT. If I negotiate with BoA and pay this balance off / get it removed, should I see a decent improvement in my score? Negative factors being cited right now are delinquent accounts (this one) and poor payment history (of which a majority would be attributed to this account)

Also checked online for pre-approvals and went to a Chase banker about a week ago but both have confirmed there are none at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Message 5 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks all for the quick replies. Just signed up for CCT and my scores were as follows:

FICO 8

EX - 595

TU - 585

EQ - 623

I now see that there all 3 credit bureaus are still reporting a negative account with a bad debt balance of $683 on a C/O account from BoA. Credit Karma didn't report this as a negative account so I'm glad I checked on CCT. If I negotiate with BoA and pay this balance off / get it removed, should I see a decent improvement in my score? Negative factors being cited right now are delinquent accounts (this one) and poor payment history (of which a majority would be attributed to this account)

Also checked online for pre-approvals and went to a Chase banker about a week ago but both have confirmed there are none at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I would try to PFD (Pay For Deletion) on that collection from BoA. Do that and you should see a significant score increase. With that it was no surprise you would see no preapprovals even with a banking realationship with Chase. So take care of that first before anything else.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

With those FICO scores, you will be declined.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask Capital One to upgrade your Platinum card to a Quick Silver card it is easily done via chat. Was the BOA account yours or one you were an authorized user on? If you were an authorized user dispute it as not financially responsible for the account. I would not recommend applying for the CSR with scores below 680 to allow for a good chance of approval and a decent limit, Chase is not known for CLI auto or other wise.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.