cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?

tdouble07
Established Member

Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?

Hey all, looking for some advice. I've been in the garden for over a year. There is two part to this post, the first is NFCU, I'm looking to join and current am within the 5 day period of them checking my information. My plan is to join and then open a BT card (Cash Reward) that way if they don't give me a good SL I can build my relationship and then go for a 2nd card in a few months. Now to the second part of my problem, there isn't a 100% guarantee that I'm going to get the limit I would want to fully transfer the balance. I plan to pay it off in a two to three month span to help grow my relationship with NFCU as it's the only balance I have. As a back up, I checked the DISCO pre-qual tool and now I'm not sure what to do. It says I'm pre-approved (I know not always 100%) but it even lists an specific apr of 11.99, no range. Is it true that when they typically provide an exact APR the pre-approval is more solid than flimsy? I have a smaller disco I got as a secured card years back, they did soft up it another 1k but it's still at 2.2k and the APR is horrible at 22.99, so I would essentially get the second and cancel the first.

 

So my decision, do I go for DISCO since they might be more adverse to a recently opened account than NFCU? or do I wait for NFCU to possibly go through? Not trying to go on a big spree, I need to keep myself eligible for the 5/24 in December. As it stands before I open any new lines I will be at 0/24 Dec 2021. What does the community think is the best approach? DPs below:

 

FICO8 Scores:

EQ: 759

TU: 751

EX: 762

 

FICO9 Scores:

EQ: 755

TU: 743

EX: 733

 

Income: 105k+

 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Getty59
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?

If I had to choose I would choose NFCU. I also recently joined and opened a cc with them. They gave me a lower SL I reconed them immediately via msg I it was bumped up to $23,100 a few days later. Funny thing is I have seen a post or two from others here in the last week that has also had the same success. 

Credit Cards:


NFCU More Rewards: $23,100
Capital One Venture: $10,250

Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?


@Getty59 wrote:

If I had to choose I would choose NFCU. I also recently joined and opened a cc with them. They gave me a lower SL I reconed them immediately via msg I it was bumped up to $23,100 a few days later. Funny thing is I have seen a post or two from others here in the last week that has also had the same success. 


That , though , is not standard. So its very much profile dependent. 

Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?


@tdouble07 wrote:

Hey all, looking for some advice. I've been in the garden for over a year. There is two part to this post, the first is NFCU, I'm looking to join and current am within the 5 day period of them checking my information. My plan is to join and then open a BT card (Cash Reward) that way if they don't give me a good SL I can build my relationship and then go for a 2nd card in a few months. Now to the second part of my problem, there isn't a 100% guarantee that I'm going to get the limit I would want to fully transfer the balance. I plan to pay it off in a two to three month span to help grow my relationship with NFCU as it's the only balance I have. As a back up, I checked the DISCO pre-qual tool and now I'm not sure what to do. It says I'm pre-approved (I know not always 100%) but it even lists an specific apr of 11.99, no range. Is it true that when they typically provide an exact APR the pre-approval is more solid than flimsy? I have a smaller disco I got as a secured card years back, they did soft up it another 1k but it's still at 2.2k and the APR is horrible at 22.99, so I would essentially get the second and cancel the first.

 

So my decision, do I go for DISCO since they might be more adverse to a recently opened account than NFCU? or do I wait for NFCU to possibly go through? Not trying to go on a big spree, I need to keep myself eligible for the 5/24 in December. As it stands before I open any new lines I will be at 0/24 Dec 2021. What does the community think is the best approach? DPs below:

 

FICO8 Scores:

EQ: 759

TU: 751

EX: 762

 

FICO9 Scores:

EQ: 755

TU: 743

EX: 733

 

Income: 105k+

 


Navy isnt really account opening shy so opening 2 at same time should be fine. Most people dont get offered Discos best apr off the bat so i would definitely go for that. Double cash and low apr , most likely with a bt offer is too good to pass up. Get these 2 then wait til Dec to go for your Chase card. Brst of luckSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
tdouble07
Established Member

Re: Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?

@AverageJoesCredit so the more important question is.. should I put the balance transfer during the app process or should I let them give me a sl and then recon of the limit is too low? My thought is including would then help the algorithum negate that current debt exposure..? (I'm not even sure that's a thing and it's only $10k, and my avail credit is about $177k)

Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?


@tdouble07 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit so the more important question is.. should I put the balance transfer during the app process or should I let them give me a sl and then recon of the limit is too low? My thought is including would then help the algorithum negate that current debt exposure..? (I'm not even sure that's a thing and it's only $10k, and my avail credit is about $177k)


I dont believe putting what you want to bt helps get you a better sl and that goes for any lender. An approval is profile driven and they will take in many factors in determining your sl. Also its possible by putting in your bt first, they actually go ahead with it after approval and put your card at 100% maxed even if they dont cover whole bt with the credit limit. I would wait to see what they give. Just remember Discover does not recon starting limits. All computer based. Navy has a smaller chance at recon. 

Message 6 of 10
tdouble07
Established Member

Re: Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?

@AverageJoesCredit so I spun the wheel and ended up approved with a $1k limit.. this hasn't happened to me in 5 years. Majority of my cards are 5k or higher. Would you recommend to keep it and try to grow the cl given the 11.99% apr? I know this is a personal call but how is disco with cli's?

Message 7 of 10
AlchemysMom
Valued Member

Re: Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?

Youre a new member correct
Starting Score: 4 something
Current Score: six something
Goal Score: 8 something


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge




Message 8 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?


@tdouble07 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit so I spun the wheel and ended up approved with a $1k limit.. this hasn't happened to me in 5 years. Majority of my cards are 5k or higher. Would you recommend to keep it and try to grow the cl given the 11.99% apr? I know this is a personal call but how is disco with cli's?


I would definitely keep it! That APR is great, and one of the many nice things about NFCU is that they also do APR reductions yearly up until you hit their lowest rate. And the CL grows rather quickly too with responsible use and low DTI. Smiley Happy

 

Disco CLIs are kind of all over the place. No set pattern.


Last App: 12/05/2020
NFCU MoreRewards Amex

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:




Current FICO 8 scores:


Message 9 of 10
850Dreamer
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I pull the DISCO trigger or wait on NFCU first?

Go with NFCU. 

 

However I applied for my first NFCU card and Discover card at the same time...so If I were you I would do both but if you only need the one card then 100% I would choose Navy over Discover every single time. 


FICO 8 Scores (Rebuild completed 2/12/2021!!!)

FICO 9 Scores

Inquiries (12/24): EX: 4/6 | TU: 3/4 | EQ: 1/1
New Accounts (24 months): 7
1 month until last derog falls off Equifax report!
Goal Cards:


Scores started in low 500's | Total CL's: $33,900 | Signature last updated 2/12/2021
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.