Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stay at Home Income/ Part Time Employed for Application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stay at Home Income/ Part Time Employed for Application

I am looking to apply for a credit card and trying to determine the proper way to enter income in.  I am self-employed part time and have a contribution to our household income, but the income varies throughout the year and number of clients.  However, my spouse (we are not married) makes significantly more than I do at $300K.  We share all finances.   My credit score is much higher though.  Can I use our combined income on my application?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dropluvnotbombs
Established Member

Re: Stay at Home Income/ Part Time Employed for Application

Yes you can use all household income as long as you are over age 21. Smiley Tongue Some companies might ask for tax records though so be prepared.

Barclays Cash Forward 4k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | Discover It 28.5k | Best Buy Store Card 4k | Paypal $501

FICO 8: EQ 668 | TU 748 | EX 742 | Inquiries: EQ 1 | TU 3 | EX 3 | UTILI: 1%
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My spouse (we are engaged) uses my cards, texts me the amounts the charges (literally I get a play by play anytime he swipes anything) and I transfer the money to my account and I pay it off immediately. So I use his income too.
Message 3 of 9
camera_jen
New Contributor

You can use all sources of income to your household.  I use child support to boost my "income" even though I don't earn it and it is anything but a regular source of income.

Message 4 of 9
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My spouse (we are engaged) uses my cards, texts me the amounts the charges (literally I get a play by play anytime he swipes anything) and I transfer the money to my account and I pay it off immediately. So I use his income too.

I would jump off a bridge if I had to send/receive a text every time I used a credit card.  However, I am glad it works for you.

In regards to OP's question, yes - you can use HHI for most banks.  Some banks separate it out under "other" income and some do not allow it to be counted at all, just be sure to read the application sections before you enter any information. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

He doesn't use credit cards that much. I mostly do all the shopping and pay all the bills. He hates "oweing" money as he calls it so he makes me pay it off immediately so I'm not taking large amounts from the joint account each month. He likes to know exactly how much is in there and where we are at which is why he likes debit.
Message 6 of 9
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
He doesn't use credit cards that much. I mostly do all the shopping and pay all the bills. He hates "oweing" money as he calls it so he makes me pay it off immediately so I'm not taking large amounts from the joint account each month. He likes to know exactly how much is in there and where we are at which is why he likes debit.

I wasnt passing judgement Smiley Happy  I was just noting my own personal hell would be to have to disclose every purchase to my significant other Smiley Wink  Sometimes a guy just has to have that $300 bottle of scotch (or maybe its just me).

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha that's what his personal account is for!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the input.  We too - discuss all items, but definitely need space  for each others discretionary income in good measure.  Have a wonderful day and thanks again for the responses!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.