Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

Sorry to hear about the denial, but the waiting period is 90 days from the date of denial in the letter.

You can try to recon, but it is probably a little bit late in the game. FicoTron reported success in getting a partial CLI while talking to the CSR after he got the 7-10 message also but it was during the application stage itself and not after he got a letter in mail. If the CSR tries now, you may get another denial since this would be an attempt within the 90 day quiet period. The CSR may take the application without issuing a warning about this rule, so please take that into consideration.

Thanks for sharing the reason for denial on the forums. Goes to show how sensitive Amex is to PIF type of pattern as suggested by many veterans over the last several years on this forum and others.

FicoTron's experience is a significant datapoint. For those not getting immediate full CLI and or getting 7-10 message, talking to a CSR immediately after, along the lines of "Can you please see if I am eligible for a lower offer to be immediately locked in?" can't hurt IMO. We will get an idea as more folks in this situation hopefully share their experiences. 

Message 191 of 5,432
vpae
Established Contributor

I definitely lurk more than anything else but I wanted to chime in and say Thanks.

I usually just search for keywords but today I decided to click through the forums and found MustangSaluki's Definitive Amex guide and decided to give it a shot. Got my 3x! Thank you! Smiley Happy

BTW - At first I couldn't find the Line of Credit Increase link on the site, and when I finally found it and filled out all the required info, the last Submit Request button wouldn't work. The Edit and Cancel buttons also didn't work. After trying 3 browsers between 2 OS, I just called the number on the back of the card and went through the automated process, it was instant.

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 192 of 5,432
TheDjinn
New Contributor

Wait, when did you request the CLI? I 've been getting a message online that their systems are updating for the past 2 days! I even called and they said they were upgrading as well. 

Message 193 of 5,432
vpae
Established Contributor

Less than an hour ago.

I didn't get any alert or messages regarding system updates on the website, but the buttons don't work on the last page. I called just now, phone log says 46 minutes ago.

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 194 of 5,432
brodor

Received a 3X CLI today from 1K to 3K on my Delta Gold.  61 days, no previous history (other than an utilities account for the past 18 months) prior to this account.

Online system wasn't working so I just called in and requested it through the automated phone system.

Message 195 of 5,432
culture
Regular Contributor

in to read later 

Message 196 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

Congrats vpae and brodor Smiley Happy

Message 197 of 5,432
signatureB
New Visitor

Thanks for informing us all about 3x CLI. 

About the following (italicized). I've read various posts that Amex report high-balance to credit bureaus. So, having

a 3x credit limit doesn't really change anything? E.g. if your monthly high balance is say $1,500 and your credit limit with 
3x CLI increases eventually to $6,000. If Amex only reports $1,500 (high-balance), then it hurts credit utilization ratio, right?

Credit Utilization is one of the most important components of the FICO score (30% per official wording from FICO).Given the same amount of spending, with higher available credit, utilization is lower and hence FICO scores are higher.

I am planning to open an Amex account but concerned for the above reason. Amex customer services doesn't acknowlege this question.

Can you point me to official literature that explains otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

Message 198 of 5,432
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

May 11 is day 61 for me.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 199 of 5,432
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

May 11 is day 61 for me.

@signatureB: I think you are mixing up how AMEX credit and charge cards work. With a Charge Card (NPSL: green, gold, plat, black) I think it works how you describe, the high balance is viewed as the CL. With the revolving accounts (credit cards: delta sky miles, blue, etc) I think the utilization is calculated just like any other credit card.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 200 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.