Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to figure out Ms. Disco...

tag
DesertWanderer
Frequent Contributor

Trying to figure out Ms. Disco...

I have had a Discover IT card since 2016.  I obtained it in my rebuild with a low SL that served it's purpose at the time.  I would like to use the card more but Discover won't budge off the $2,600 cl.  I have asked for CLI increases for years and received nothing.  The denial letters state not enough recent use which is completely fair; however, I feel if I use it as my DD my utilization will skyrocket with the current cl.  I have multiple other cards with five figure limits and feel like this card has been "bucketed" so to speak (I know they aren't Cap1!).

Here is my question.  I did a Discover prequal and it said I was pre-qualified at an APR of 11.99.  I am currently at 22.99.  Is the lower APR tipping their hand as to maybe getting a higher SCL or am I overthinking it?  Here are my DP's:

Income: 75k, no baddies

EQ 8:  807  EQ 9:  824

TU 8: 774  TU 9: 796

EX 8: 801  EX9: 814

Utilization around 1% (I PIF each month)

Only one HP and account in past 12.  I refinanced my home.  I've heard Disco can be jealous and I haven't given her much spend recently.  Do you feel applying for a new card being in a much better position credit wise and financially would yield better results?  Or is the fact they won't give me a CLI a sign that even if I was approved for another card it would be a low limit one?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to figure out Ms. Disco...

She truly likes it when you run quite of bit of money thru her.

I've gotten 2 auto cli, even when economic tensions were high due to Covid19.

Weird since my credit profile was and still is in its infancy. First auto cli was when my Student It was like 8 months and next auto was on month 13.  Income was $16k. I cycled my limit like twice a month. 

Imo I wouldn't suggest on another discover, the 4506 request from her would be imminent. Just divert some spend from your other cards onto your discover, nothing crazy by any means. 

Message 2 of 4
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@DesertWanderer wrote:

I have had a Discover IT card since 2016.  I obtained it in my rebuild with a low SL that served it's purpose at the time.  I would like to use the card more but Discover won't budge off the $2,600 cl.  I have asked for CLI increases for years and received nothing.  The denial letters state not enough recent use which is completely fair; however, I feel if I use it as my DD my utilization will skyrocket with the current cl.  I have multiple other cards with five figure limits and feel like this card has been "bucketed" so to speak (I know they aren't Cap1!).

Here is my question.  I did a Discover prequal and it said I was pre-qualified at an APR of 11.99.  I am currently at 22.99.  Is the lower APR tipping their hand as to maybe getting a higher SCL or am I overthinking it?  Here are my DP's:

Only one HP and account in past 12.  I refinanced my home.  I've heard Disco can be jealous and I haven't given her much spend recently.  Do you feel applying for a new card being in a much better position credit wise and financially would yield better results?  Or is the fact they won't give me a CLI a sign that even if I was approved for another card it would be a low limit one?

Think about it from Disco's POV. If you're not using the CL you already have, why do you need a larger CL. 

Also, I'm confused regarding the bolded stmts. Since you PIF each month, how can UT skyrocket?

Bottom line: If you want a higher CL, start by putting spend on your Disco. 

It's difficult to know whether you would be approved for a larger SL or not. These CCCs are so finicky these days. The only way to know is to apply and find out.

If it were me, I wouldn't want a HP. I would just put a lot of spend on the Disco I already have over the next 6 months. JMHO

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 4
DesertWanderer
Frequent Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@DesertWanderer wrote:

Think about it from Disco's POV. If you're not using the CL you already have, why do you need a larger CL. 

Also, I'm confused regarding the bolded stmts. Since you PIF each month, how can UT skyrocket?

Bottom line: If you want a higher CL, start by putting spend on your Disco. 

It's difficult to know whether you would be approved for a larger SL or not. These CCCs are so finicky these days. The only way to know is to apply and find out.

If it were me, I wouldn't want a HP. I would just put a lot of spend on the Disco I already have over the next 6 months. JMHO

You make really good points.  I meant to say I pay in full after my statement cuts to not pay interest.  I wouldn't want to let say $2,000 of the $2,600 report and have it look like I am almost maxing out a card when I'm not.  But I can always pay before billing period ends.  And I can just simply give them more business.  I have been slowly culling cards (mostly the starter cards from the rebuild that aren't growing) as I personally do not want to manage a lot of cards.  I was hoping to keep 4-5 solid cards with decent CL's for utiIization purposes.  I figured there might be a shortcut after seeing the drastically lower APR on the pre-approval.  Thank you for your perspective.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.