Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get CSP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get CSP

Hello, this is my first forum post!!

I am planning a Europe trip for next year and I have my heart set on getting the CSP to get me there. I've heard wonderful things about the CSP (my mom has it) and I've always wanted to travel but I haven't done much yet. I'm 27 re-college student, so have more credit history than the average college student but I'm not in the same position as many others my age who have careers already. I have also made heavy use of my current credit and have been working on getting my utilization down. 

My credit cards:

Macy's store card $1500 CL that I recently paid completely off

Credit Union Visa card $1500 CL with $750 on it

Discover card $6700 CL (upped from $5500 within the last year- total suprise) that I recently paid down to $3200

I am also an authorized user on one of my mom's Chase CCs (not sure if it's her CSP, Freedom, or Ink) $22k CL currently at about $1500 util. But I'm not sure if this will have any bearing on my application. 

My AAoA is 3 years 9 monts (Macys's is my oldest, got when I was 18 and Discover as my newest obtained in 2012, I think) 

My Fico scores are all over the place. As reported on myFico: EQ 658; TU 670; EX 642 and on Experian website: EX 670. I recently had 2 late payments removed that are reflected only on my experian.com score and  neither my recent Discover nor Macy's payments are showing up on any of the sites. (paid Macy's in full 8/30 and paid Discover from 6700 to 3200 in the last couple weeks) 

Using Experian score simulator and choosing paying off $5000 in credit cards (to reflect recent Macys and Discover payments) brings my score to about 710. My income is about 32000/year (I am a waitress and make primarily tips, which I have been claiming in full). I have no new credit cards since my Discover, the only inquiries in the last 12 months were from buying my car (there's about 4 inquiries from this, the dealership was trying to find me the best rate) and 1 or 2 credit checks from rental agencies when I moved in May. The only negative things on my report are *AAoA too low (not much I can do about that, I can't change how long it's been since I was 18) *1 late payment (25 months ago) [as far as I know TU and EQ are showing 3 late payments, but I got 2 of my most recent taken off from EX at least] *Remaining balance of installment loans high (I bought a car a little over a year ago, 13000 out of 15000 reamining on the loan)

I want to apply for CSP as soon as my credit score is updated and reflecting my recent payments. I know there are a lot of factors that go into being approved, and I have checked the Chase Pre-Qual site and nothing is there as of yet, but I'm just curious what you all think my chances are.

Thanks!!!

(sorry for the super long post, just tyring to be as thurough as possible)

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Trying to get CSP

First of all welcome. Smiley Happy

Secondly, thanks for the detailed post! IMO, you have a good shot at it, the only thing that worries me are those lates. If 3 are showing and they're showing as recent, it could hurt you.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am planning a Europe trip for next year and I have my heart set on getting the CSP to get me there. I've heard wonderful things about the CSP (my mom has it) and I've always wanted to travel but I haven't done much yet. I'm 27 re-college student, so have more credit history than the average college student but I'm not in the same position as many others my age who have careers already. I have also made heavy use of my current credit and have been working on getting my utilization down. 

My credit cards:

Discover card $6700 CL (upped from $5500 within the last year- total suprise) that I recently paid down to $3200

I am also an authorized user on one of my mom's Chase CCs (not sure if it's her CSP, Freedom, or Ink) $22k CL currently at about $1500 util. But I'm not sure if this will have any bearing on my application. 

My AAoA is 3 years 9 monts (Macys's is my oldest, got when I was 18 and Discover as my newest obtained in 2012, I think) 

My Fico scores are all over the place. As reported on myFico: EQ 658; TU 670; EX 642 and on Experian website: EX 670. I recently had 2 late payments removed that are reflected only on my experian.com score and  neither my recent Discover nor Macy's payments are showing up on any of the sites. (paid Macy's in full 8/30 and paid Discover from 6700 to 3200 in the last couple weeks) 

Using Experian score simulator and choosing paying off $5000 in credit cards (to reflect recent Macys and Discover payments) brings my score to about 710. My income is about 32000/year (I am a waitress and make primarily tips, which I have been claiming in full). I have no new credit cards since my Discover, the only inquiries in the last 12 months were from buying my car (there's about 4 inquiries from this, the dealership was trying to find me the best rate) and 1 or 2 credit checks from rental agencies when I moved in May. The only negative things on my report are *AAoA too low (not much I can do about that, I can't change how long it's been since I was 18) *1 late payment (25 months ago) [as far as I know TU and EQ are showing 3 late payments, but I got 2 of my most recent taken off from EX at least] *Remaining balance of installment loans high (I bought a car a little over a year ago, 13000 out of 15000 reamining on the loan)

I want to apply for CSP as soon as my credit score is updated and reflecting my recent payments. I know there are a lot of factors that go into being approved, and I have checked the Chase Pre-Qual site and nothing is there as of yet, but I'm just curious what you all think my chances are.

Thanks!!!

I believe you have a very good chance.  When I got the CSP I cold apped and it was an instant approval.  Good luck to you!

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two of the lates are recent, but they are the ones I got removed from Experian. From my understanding Chase most frequently pulls Experian in CA. Is there a way to get the lates removed from the other two bureaus? Will it be automatic since they were updated on EX? 

I'm itching to apply, I wish that Macy's and Discover would report my balances already. My Discover statement is coming up in a few days but I don't get another Macy's statement until the end of the month, I think I missed the last statement by a few days when I paid it off. I think that I'll get into the 700s when Discover reports but I'm not sure I should apply when I have a card showing at 100% util. 

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you wait another month to be sure the late payments are removed and UTIL is lower?
Message 5 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^This.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Sign up for credit checktotal for 1$ for a week and come back with you're info coming up on exp/tu as those are the ones they pull more often.

2. Find out what is actually on your reports. Is it one late? 2? 21 months ago? 24 months ago?

3. Chase doesn't care at all what your score is. They aren't a score based lender , just care what's in your report.
I was approved the 18th of August with a 180 days late payment 19 months ago, 7.35k overall credit available, 6% uti, 5 total cc(4 in the last 24 months+1 store cards). I was instapproved for 5k. Scores at the time were 692 for ex/tu(but again that doesn't matter)

Edit: I was prequalified. Also things start reflecting in your report about 3 days after the statement cuts. So find out those dates, that's when your report will change

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Experian credit tracker, and I am able to access my score and report every day. I have the myFico 3b but I am going to cancel it as I can't justify the cost for both and I don't get a new report with myFico for a couple months anyway. I want to wait until everything is reporting at least on my Experian before I sign up for a $1 7-day TU, all I know is that the lates were taken off my Experian becaue I am able to access the reports daily. Right now I can only view what was on my TU and EQ reports as of 8/15. I do get my TU Fico score with my Discover card, but that's just a monthly score and doesn't have detailed information. I know my Experian is only showing one 30-days late from 25 months ago and 30% utilization with 100% on my Discover and Macy's card. 

I will probably not be applying until next month, I want to be sure everything is reportung correctly when I do. 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would lose Experian Credit Tracker and get Credit Check Total. You get daily Ex like you have, but you can update the other 2 CB 3or4 times a month for free. After your 7 days call to cancel and they will discount you 50% for then first year. It roughly comes out to $15.00 monthly. As for your chance for CSP, I feel it could go either way. Maybe give ita month or 2 and try once those payments post. Good luck

Message 9 of 16
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My credit cards:

Thanks!!!

If your EX score moves to the 700's then you may have a standing chance, income may be a factor but I have seen some get it with income similar to yours. I would wait to make sure your score is within the range before applying. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.