Did you mean: 

**UPDATED 6/4... App’ing for Amex and Chase on same day

tag
nyuphoto
Regular Contributor

Re: App’ing for Amex and Chase on same day

@Remedios wrote:

You're welcome. 

It will happen, just that pesky patience thing (I dont have it, either)

Good luck! 

@Remedios 

One other question. I was planning to app a SP CLI with NFCU after 91/3, would this be ok while waiting for Chaae app in 6 months?

Cards (In order of approval) TCL: 137k

Chase Home Mortgage 402k 3.25% 30yr | 10/2021 | AU  
App’d for my first CC in April 2020, hoping for a 3k SL… Anyone can turn their credit around.
Message 11 of 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@nyuphoto wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

You're welcome. 

Good luck! 

@Remedios 

One other question. I was planning to app a SP CLI with NFCU after 91/3, would this be ok while waiting for Chaae app in 6 months?

Remember the reason for your denial? 

Credit seeking. Adding another card wont help at all with Chase approval.

With that said, if NFCU  is financially better fit for you, go with them, worry about chase later while keeping 5/24 in mind. 

I wouldn't base my credit card strategy around Chase, focus instead on what makes sense for you, given your spend. 

Message 12 of 20
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@nyuphoto wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

You're welcome. 

Good luck! 

@Remedios 

With that said, if NFCU  is financially better fit for you, go with them, worry about chase later while keeping 5/24 in mind. 

I wouldn't base my credit card strategy around Chase, focus instead on what makes sense for you, given your spend. 

This. Ever since 5/24 came around there is this sense of urgency with Chase apps and I think people prioritize their cards when they do not always necessarily need to. Yes, if Chase is in your plans, it makes sense to do those apps first due to 5/24, but it does not mean their cards make sense for everyone.

All things equal, I would apply for Chase before Amex if you're doing both because Amex is significantly more lax with approvals at least from everything I've seen over the years. But, as always, do what makes sense for your spend. It could be neither Chase nor Amex are the right fits.

Message 13 of 20
nyuphoto
Regular Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@nyuphoto wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

You're welcome. 

Good luck! 

@Remedios 

This. Ever since 5/24 came around there is this sense of urgency with Chase apps and I think people prioritize their cards when they do not always necessarily need to. Yes, if Chase is in your plans, it makes sense to do those apps first due to 5/24, but it does not mean their cards make sense for everyone.

All things equal, I would apply for Chase before Amex if you're doing both because Amex is significantly more lax with approvals at least from everything I've seen over the years. But, as always, do what makes sense for your spend. It could be neither Chase nor Amex are the right fits.

Thank you guys for the advice. This is what I was thinking:

My wife and I have a goal to complete a Chase Quadfecta and take advantage of the UR. She already has the CSP, and looking to get the CFU and Hyatt. She doesn't have any aspirations to get any other cards so she's at 2/24. I plan on getting the CF and transfer my UR into her CSP. We like the Chase system because of the UR benefits (multiplier) and flexibility (1:1 transfer to travel partners - Southwest). Until we complete this quadfecta we will be using the NFCU cards for our rewards: Flagship and MoreRewards Amex. All of our spend will fit between the 2 cards (grocery, restaurant, gas, transit, and then travel/everything else). My Prime card is heavily utilized for Amazon and Whole Foods.

I want the Amex, well, Simply because it's Amex and a goal card for me personally. The BCP would be a step into a grocery spend but a non-AF card would make more sense for now while fulfilling my Want to have an Amex in my wallet. and after using the UR system we can keep an option open to move into MR depending on how our experience goes. 
I’ll take the patient pill, wait on any new credit apps including CLI until I can grab the CF. Thank you for your input. If you have better suggestions in my plan for which cards would be best please let me know. Thanks. 

App’d for my first CC in April 2020, hoping for a 3k SL… Anyone can turn their credit around.
Message 14 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@nyuphoto wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@nyuphoto wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

You're welcome. 

Good luck! 

@Remedios 

Thank you guys for the advice. This is what I was thinking:

My wife and I have a goal to complete a Chase Quadfecta and take advantage of the UR. She already has the CSP, and looking to get the CFU and Hyatt. She doesn't have any aspirations to get any other cards so she's at 2/24. I plan on getting the CF and transfer my UR into her CSP. We like the Chase system because of the UR benefits (multiplier) and flexibility (1:1 transfer to travel partners - Southwest). Until we complete this quadfecta we will be using the NFCU cards for our rewards: Flagship and MoreRewards Amex. All of our spend will fit between the 2 cards (grocery, restaurant, gas, transit, and then travel/everything else). My Prime card is heavily utilized for Amazon and Whole Foods.

I want the Amex, well, Simply because it's Amex and a goal card for me personally. The BCP would be a step into a grocery spend but a non-AF card would make more sense for now while fulfilling my Want to have an Amex in my wallet. and after using the UR system we can keep an option open to move into MR depending on how our experience goes. 
I’ll take the patient pill, wait on any new credit apps including CLI until I can grab the CF. Thank you for your input. If you have better suggestions in my plan for which cards would be best please let me know. Thanks. 

If you like the UR system I don't see why you would want to get the Hyatt card before completing your "quadfecta".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 20
nyuphoto
Regular Contributor

We're not getting the Hyatt before completing the trifecta. We're going to app for the CF and CFU at same time. I'll be an AU on her CSP and will transfer my UR points to her CSP. Our goal for UR is for travel or hotel stay once a year.
She will app for the Hyatt a couple months after she receives the CFU. 

Message 16 of 20
nyuphoto
Regular Contributor

The Hyatt card completes our Quadfecta:

1. CSP

2. CF

3. CFU

4. World of Hyatt

If I had known better or been more focused I would have app'd these 4 cards first between the 2 of us. Now I’ll have to just be patient since getting the CF denial when I app'd for NFCU, Chase Amazon Prime, and CF on same day. Lesson Learned. 

Message 17 of 20
nyuphoto
Regular Contributor

@Remedios 

So I'm going to garden for 6 months before app'ing Chase Freedom. Does anyone know if asking for a CLI in 3 months (91/3) for NFCU (Soft Pull), will that be visible or have any negative affect on the 6 month wait for Chase app?

Message 18 of 20
nyuphoto
Regular Contributor

** UPDATED Re: App’ing for Amex and Chase on same day

Update:

So I ran out of patience and waited for my Experian score to hit 670. Today I Prequalified for 2 Discover cards (6 weeks ago only prequal Secured Card) and 3 Amex cards (none 6 weeks ago). Approved for Amex Gold and Chase Freedom $6700 SL. Experian HP 674. 

Message 19 of 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: ** UPDATED Re: App’ing for Amex and Chase on same day

Congrats on your approvals.

Feel free to start approval thread in the Approvals forum if you wish to do so. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.