Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank REI MasterCard

tag
mamatried
Contributor

US Bank REI MasterCard

I'm in the garden until next year, but now that I have plenty of rebuilding cards, I'm starting my wishlist cards... US Bank only ever shows me a Contour Debit Card. I'm interested in the REI MasterCard, but I can't seem to find any recent reviews of folks apping for it / what their scores and profiles were like, etc. It's 5% back and I buy a lot through REI so it'd be great... but I don't want to add any inquiries in the next 2 years unless I feel really confident.

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank REI MasterCard

@mamatried wrote:

I'm in the garden until next year, but now that I have plenty of rebuilding cards, I'm starting my wishlist cards... US Bank only ever shows me a Contour Debit Card. I'm interested in the REI MasterCard, but I can't seem to find any recent reviews of folks apping for it / what their scores and profiles were like, etc. It's 5% back and I buy a lot through REI so it'd be great... but I don't want to add any inquiries in the next 2 years unless I feel really confident.

I'm not sure what they look for on that card but I could tell you is that they manually review just about 99% of apps and there's a good chance that if they even see something negative they will deny it. They are a very conservative bank

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 9
capitalkid
Regular Contributor

I applied for this card May 3rd.  

I got an approval letter Jun 18th-for 1K$.  

Seeing as it is a camping store, I just didnt see keeping it open, as 1 tent setup will run over this line and USBANK will want 1Hp for every CLI.  I just could see it costing me more than GECRB has in growth CLI hard hits.  So I called and cancelled it.  

Approval took what 1.5 months?  Anyway, my BK was still showing, but in any case it was approved but not enough for me to pay with HP to make it grow.  I read about some kind of CLI limit imposed per request, like 350$ per request or something. I may be wrong but those numbers add up to more than I want to deal with for a card like this.  

Good luck though. Cheers.

Message 3 of 9
mamatried
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. 1.5 months?! Dang! I think I'm just going to tip toe through the garden for awhile. Doesn't sound like it's worth the pull based on the cards I already have. 

MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mamatried wrote:

The folks I know who have that card were high 700's and above when they appd/approved.  The previous version of this card was a NPSL Visa Signature so I would probably want to get to 700 before applying.  It's certainly a very nice addition to the REI annual dividend.

Message 5 of 9
mamatried
Contributor

I love my dividend! I think I'll wait a year or two until I get in the 700's and hit some of my more important goals. Thanks for the advice! 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my dividend but not a useful card if you don't shop at REI. US BANK is conservative but generous, I have two REI MC's one line transitioned from the VISA, the other came through a mail offer during the transition.  I got mine with a mid 600 score, but I've never had a late payment, after just under three years with them, I have a combined CL with them at 22.5K.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My History:
I had a secured cap 1 card ($1000), Amazon Store Card ($800), and a first premier card ($300) for about 7-8 months before I went on my first real app spree. My scores hovered about 610-660.
I definitely went overboard!!!
I applied and was approved for in this order...
Buckle $300
American Eagle $400
Victoria Secret $650
Macy's $650
Kohls $300
Walmart $300(now $1400 after 4 months via love button)
JC Penny $500

THEN....I applied for REI MasterCard after the above inquiries. I was granted all these cards within two days back to back. It took 8 days for their manual review. They gave me a $1000 starting limit.

Then I also applied for and approved for...
Cheveron/Texaco $500
76 Station $500
Exxon/Mobile $700
I use all three, so nobody hate😆😅

I also got a 5.99% Apr car loan through my credit union using my highest score (666 experian at the time) 2 months ago approved for $20,000 but I only needed $8,200.

I then closed my secured cap 1 card (5 months ago), and applied and approved for a Cap 1 card Quicksilver $2000 (now $4000 after CLI via luv button after only 2 months) and I also got a quicksilver one $1000. I also applied for a Discover It and was counter offered a secured version which I accepted because I wanted IN with them. I also applied and approved for a BOA secured 99/500 Cash rewards card to get in with them as well.
Yes I know, I went a bit overboard. Most of these cards are between 4-6 months old, with First Premier being my oldest tradline(not being used) at 1 1/2 years. I also had an installment loan paid never late 2 years from 2008 on my reports.
At the time I applied for all this credit I had the following collections..
Equifax 7 medical collections ranging from $200-$600
Transunion 3 medical collections reporting $200-$600
Experian No collections reporting
I have since had ALL of my debts removed.
My scores at the time I applied for REI
Equifax 610
Trans Union 633
Experian 660
Tons of inquires as you can imagine.
When I got denied a Barclay's, CitiBank and Chase card, I stopped apping. I am now in the garden for at least a year and a half. After wards I will shop for a mortage to give time for some inquiries to fall off.
Now my only hope is CLI's to keep me happy on my credit quest😅
Hope this all helps!!😘
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mamatried wrote:

In terms of underwriting I can tell you the card was previously a Visa Signature and those approved for it received a NPSL.  The Mastercard version is a World Mastercard but I believe they do have set CL's now.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.