Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA dilemma

tag
djshifted
Regular Contributor

USAA dilemma

Hey guys,

First off, this site and the people here have been an immeasureable amount of help to me over the past few years since I started rebuilding my credit.  I've gone from nothing at all to what you see in my sig.  I've still got a long way to 700, though.

Today, after a few recent successes over the last month, I decided to start my relationship with USAA again. I opened a checking/savings account with them and applied for one of their CC's as part of the banking 'package'.  I was denied for the Rewards AMEX, so they countered with the Classic AMEX with a $500 limit.  I'm not certain I want a new TL with my lowest (current) limit, though it is USAA and an AMEX, which I don't have.  According to myFICO (EX) I have a 5 year AAoA with 13 open accounts in good standing.  

Give the above, and anyone's experiences with USAA and CLI's/Product Upgrades, is it worth accepting the card offer?

Starting Scores (12/2012):EX 506; EQ 511; TU 518 | Current Scores (01/2016):EX 662; EQ 656; TU 653
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
thebusymind
New Contributor

Re: USAA dilemma

Absolutely accept it. USAA is a bank that you will be apart of when you are eighty. That 500$ isn't much now, but in time it will be the card and bank you turn to when everyone else says no. I cannot speak more highly of USAA. I have two cards with USAA both at 18k - I could not be happier with them. 

Message 2 of 8
Lyythine
Established Contributor

I agree with the poster above. I have 2 credit cards, home insurance, car insurance, life insurance, checking and savings all with USAA and they have been exceptional, specifically their insurance products.  That being said, I will NEVER understand the reasoning for how they do things and how their internal scoring system works. Unlike most banks, it will be a cold day in hell before you ever get the opportunity to speak with one of their credit analysts, so dont ever expect that!  All in all, if you treat USAA well, they will do the same in return. I would say take the offer!

Message 3 of 8
alvon123
Super Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:

I agree with the poster above. I have 2 credit cards, home insurance, car insurance, life insurance, checking and savings all with USAA and they have been exceptional, specificlly their insurance products.  That being said, I will NEVER understand the reasoning for how they do things and how their internal scoring system works. Unlike most banks, it will be a cold day in hell before you ever get the opportunity to speak with one of their credit analysts, so dont ever expect that!  All in all, if you treat USAA well, they will do the same in return. I would say take the offer!

+1 Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 8
haiti222
Contributor

I would take it, but would also note that 5 years after getting a USAA Amex, my CL is now $500 lower than my high credit line with them. I had a MC that they also cut the credit line with. They did not close either card, but are active in monitoring and CLDing any card they deem risky. I have never had a late payment with them or any CC during this time. I did have a student loan late issue that prompted the CLD.

Message 5 of 8
djshifted
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice!  I have accepted the card so it should be here in a few days.  I've always heard good things about them, and I even had insurance through them a long time ago.  I was glad they were able to set me up with an account (I'm no longer Active Duty), the credit card was an unexpected bonus.

@haiti222 wrote:

I would take it, but would also note that 5 years after getting a USAA Amex, my CL is now $500 lower than my high credit line with them. I had a MC that they also cut the credit line with. They did not close either card, but are active in monitoring and CLDing any card they deem risky. I have never had a late payment with them or any CC during this time. I did have a student loan late issue that prompted the CLD.

I had this happen with my Amazon card, I had high ute for a while (80%+) and they had dropped my credit limit down from $800 to just above my then current balance ($660), CLD is never fun.

Starting Scores (12/2012):EX 506; EQ 511; TU 518 | Current Scores (01/2016):EX 662; EQ 656; TU 653
Message 6 of 8
empiror22
Regular Contributor

I love usaa, and use them for everything i can.  But i will say that i don't think that the "classic" card can be CLI'd or PC'd to other cards.  100% percent on the previous statement but read it somewhere on this forum.  But i also will say i love usaa (i know its twice), they have been great to me.  I started out having to rebuild with a secured amex and MC, within 1 year i was offered new cards with limits in $xx,xxx level.  Treat them good and they will treat you good.  I hope that you get the answers you need.

Message 7 of 8
msbia
Established Contributor

LOVE USAA....long time member. First off, they do NOT product change their cards, they will suggest you app for the product you'd like. They DO credit limit increases every 6 months if you request but it is always a HP. I started with credit products January 2014, $500 secured Amex. In April 2014 I cold app'd for the affiliate MC and was approved for $7,000 instantly. Then I app'd for the rewards Amex, instant approval for $4,500. Six months to the day of my approvals I requested CLIs on both and approved within 24 hours for the limits in my sig. USAA is an awesome company and I have no regrets. I have all of their products except mortgage and I will be using my VA home loan in 2 years.

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.