Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming AMEX App: Input Welcome

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upcoming AMEX App: Input Welcome

Looking at Amex Delta Gold offer with 70k SUB.  I am currently an AU on an Amex ED.  Member since 1990 (old ass green card that ended poorly).  My question is what is the easiest/optimal way back into AMEX. I currently don't prequal for any offers in the amex site.   Thinking about apping in Feb/Mar time frame.  Open to any card.  This will be the last card until October 2020 when I hit 4/24 and all the spree damage clears.  Wanted to add AMEX before the garden.  Sig line is up to date Additional data below.  Thanks y'all. 

EX FICO 8 score 773, 

Average Age3 yrs 5 mos

Oldest Account19 yrs 5 mos

Good 6 fig income

EX Inquiries 12 in last 6 months (7/20, 8/1, 8/21, 8/22 10/9, 10/13, 10/13, 10/13, 10/13, 10/13, 10/15, 11/21)

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upcoming AMEX App: Input Welcome

Was the old green card charged off?  From what I have read on here Amex will only let you in if the balance on the old card is paid.  I cannot speak to how inquiry sensitive Amex is, but I am sure others will chime in.

Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, when you say [AmEx] green card that ended poorly, was it charged off, is there a balance or was it IIB?

Potentially, it's possible that you may be on their blacklist, but only you'll know when you apply. Some individuals fall off their list within ~10 or so years while others seem to remain on that naughty list for over 20+ years. AmEx seems to have a long memory.

Also, rather than being "open to any card" take a look at which product(s) would be more suitable for you. Someone *might* suggest to go for the Green Card "just to get into AmEx", but that may not necessarily be the right fit or card for you.
Message 3 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Check the prequal. I don’t THINK Amex tends to be overly inq sensitive, but YEMV

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

The OP already checked the pre-qualified option, as stated in their post.

Pre-qualified offers are not linked to their internal database which would be the next step in the process to determine whether or not they'll be approved or declined due to any negative past experience with AmEx.

Assuming the OP clears the "blacklist" piece then the outcome of the application would be dependent on their overall profile since no pre-qualified offers displayed.
Message 5 of 12
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

I can only say from experience that I managed to get the Delta gold back in '08 with a score of only around 640. I wasn't hitting any pre-quals either but was flying Delta across to England so it made sense to have that card, so I applied. I got an instant approval but it was with a SL of only $1k. Things have progressed nicely since then. Your score alone is more than high enough to qualify you for that card imo, unless as others have mentioned the green card you used to have is causing some problems for you.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.  Going to wait a few months to app AMEX.  

Message 7 of 12
drboxing
Established Contributor

It took me years to get back with Amex. Once I was able to be added as an authorized user I applied and was approved for Delta Gold. Kept it for 6 months then was preapproved for Delta Plat & SPG card limits were $1k. Then was approved for Platinum Business card. But I keep getting declined for personal Gold and Green charge cards

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied.

Called Recon/CSR twice.  They said it was too many INQ; Loved my score, but couldn't find a way arond the 'Credit Seeking'.  Good news is that they mentioned nothing on phone or in official response regarding previous accounts.  Thanks for the input.  Happy Holidays.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they give any indication on how many was too many and in what time period?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.