cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wal-Mart Rewards MasterCard CLI Question.

tag
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wal-Mart Rewards MasterCard CLI Question.

Accidental duplicate post

Message 11 of 14
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

@CardHunter wrote:

@Drifter73 wrote:

The capital one Walmart card is a Good to Excellent tiered card. I started at $500, in 6 mos it Auto increased to $750, after 12 months, the cli button appeared in the app (I clicked it) and it jumped to $3750 cli.

I maintained 30% spend and pif 2 or three times per month for the 12 months.

Seemed to work out fine for me.

Very nice, thanks for the info. Im really starting to think there is something about my profile Cap One just doesn't like. I mean all of my FICO scores are from 796 - 811 when I applied for the CLI (FICO 8 & 9) and income is $110,000 with 4% debt. I think im going to try the 30% spend on this card and just move my new Penfed card as my everyday driver card and see if that works.

They appear to be a 12 month relationship lender, in my case anyways. Where they only give a fractual increase at 6mo's (couple hunfred) to see how you'll react in spend.

At 12mos though, they showed some love.

When I say I pif at 30% 2 or three times per month, I mean I ran it up to 30%, paid it off, then ran it up to 30% again 2 more times in the same month. It was the only way I could make a toy limit card work.

My main draw to the cap1 Walmart card is that their travel category covers campgrounds and rv parks. Which is an easy $600 to $700 per month spend for me alone. Most travel cards don't include campgrounds or rv parks in their travel categories.

At some point I may switch to BofA customized cash with 3% campground travel. Not yet though. It may still have another year of logical use before I SD it and pivot to another dedicated campground card.

Message 12 of 14
CardHunter
Established Contributor

@Drifter73 wrote:

@CardHunter wrote:

@Drifter73 wrote:

The capital one Walmart card is a Good to Excellent tiered card. I started at $500, in 6 mos it Auto increased to $750, after 12 months, the cli button appeared in the app (I clicked it) and it jumped to $3750 cli.

Very nice, thanks for the info. Im really starting to think there is something about my profile Cap One just doesn't like. I mean all of my FICO scores are from 796 - 811 when I applied for the CLI (FICO 8 & 9) and income is $110,000 with 4% debt. I think im going to try the 30% spend on this card and just move my new Penfed card as my everyday driver card and see if that works.

They appear to be a 12 month relationship lender, in my case anyways. Where they only give a fractual increase at 6mo's (couple hunfred) to see how you'll react in spend.

When I say I pif at 30% 2 or three times per month, I mean I ran it up to 30%, paid it off, then ran it up to 30% again 2 more times in the same month. It was the only way I could make a toy limit card work.

My main draw to the cap1 Walmart card is that their travel category covers campgrounds and rv parks. Which is an easy $600 to $700 per month spend for me alone. Most travel cards don't include campgrounds or rv parks in their travel categories.

At some point I may switch to BofA customized cash with 3% campground travel. Not yet though. It may still have another year of logical use before I SD it and pivot to another dedicated campground card.

I think I will just wait for the 12 month mark and try again. Im interested in the travel category now that you brought it up. We bought a RV. about 1 1/2 ago and travel adds up fast. Thanks for all the info once again my friend.

Message 13 of 14
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

@CardHunter wrote:

@Drifter73 wrote:

@CardHunter wrote:

@Drifter73 wrote:

I think I will just wait for the 12 month mark and try again. Im interested in the travel category now that you brought it up. We bought a RV. about 1 1/2 ago and travel adds up fast. Thanks for all the info once again my friend.

Right on. Sounds like the category could benefit you too.

For what it's worth, I just checked all three (ex,tu,eq) and cap1 did hp all 3 when I accepted their increase offer at 12 months.

So, be prepared for that.

Didn't bother me much since the travel + dining + gas categories at 2% will save me roughly $35 per month x 12 months = $420 per year. Well, for my second year cycle projection anyways. My first year saved double because of the 5% promo in those categories before dropping to 2%.

I do use 5% grocery, 5% gas and 4% dining cards when traveling as well, but once I reach the max cap spend I switch to either, a 2% everything or cap1 Walmart to at least claw more of the spend back than the 1% default the other cards go to when max spend is reached.

Sounds like you may need an RV travel set of cards for your yearly adventures, especially if that's something that will become more frequent than snowbirding.

Safe travels.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.