cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to finally app with chase - Do I have a chance of being approved with late payment history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanting to finally app with chase - Do I have a chance of being approved with late payment history?

Hi there - I would like to app for a chase card tonight in hopes I can finally get in with them. I have a couple questions before I pull the trigger…

Firstly I’m at 2/24 if you count just the cards I opened in the last 2yrs. I also have one credit builder loan that I opened a year ago so I believe that would put me at 3/24. Im also a AU on a few cards - if you count those I would defiantly be over 5/24. Can anyone tell me if they count those or not? if they do I have heard some people say you can call the recon line and explain the AU’s putting you over 5/24 is that true?

Next I’ve seen a lot of data points showing they pull Experian especially in Massachusetts. That’s currently my highest Fico 8 score at 715. I was at a 745 but it recently dropped due to a loan being fully paid off. (Mod cut - these types of discussions or tactics are not permitted on the forums. Please be mindful of the TOS @Anonymous ) is it possible they can deny me if they can’t access what they need and I would have to re app again and take more hard hits? My TU fico 8 score is 693 and EQ 687.

Lastly what card do you suggest I start out with? Was thinking the freedom flex just to get my foot in the door. My average age of credit is 4.5yrs old , 2% overall utilization , 1 inquiry , $70k overall credit , two late payments on two different accounts both are 30/60s one is about 18 months old and the other is 36 months old. I have cards with most all the other big credit card companies except for chase. Really hoping to get approved but these late payments make me nervous. I haven’t had issues being approved for other companies like Discover , Amex , NFCU , Apple , cap 1 , etc but I know chase seems to be stricter. I’ve tried to goodwill the late payments many times but discover and comenity will not budge. Do you guys think I should hold off longer or give it a shot? Any help and data points are appreciated !

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Re: Wanting to finally app with chase - Do I have a chance of being approved with late payment histo

If you go for it I wish you the best of luck.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 2 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Wanting to finally app with chase - Do I have a chance of being approved with late payment histo

Hi OP

First, it's against MyFICO's TOS to discuss freezing a credit report in order to stop it from being pulled when applying for credit.

And, just FYI, Chase will pull 2 and sometimes all 3 reports. 

Second, IMHO, the 2 lates may jeopardize your getting a Chase CC. 

Third, others will be along who can address your other questions.

GL2U 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there - I would like to app for a chase card tonight in hopes I can finally get in with them. I have a couple questions before I pull the trigger…

Firstly I’m at 2/24 if you count just the cards I opened in the last 2yrs. I also have one credit builder loan that I opened a year ago so I believe that would put me at 3/24. Im also a AU on a few cards - if you count those I would defiantly be over 5/24. Can anyone tell me if they count those or not? if they do I have heard some people say you can call the recon line and explain the AU’s putting you over 5/24 is that true?

Next I’ve seen a lot of data points showing they pull Experian especially in Massachusetts. That’s currently my highest Fico 8 score at 715. I was at a 745 but it recently dropped due to a loan being fully paid off. (Mod cut - these types of discussions or tactics are not permitted on the forums. Please be mindful of the TOS @Anonymous ) is it possible they can deny me if they can’t access what they need and I would have to re app again and take more hard hits? My TU fico 8 score is 693 and EQ 687.

Lastly what card do you suggest I start out with? Was thinking the freedom flex just to get my foot in the door. My average age of credit is 4.5yrs old , 2% overall utilization , 1 inquiry , $70k overall credit , two late payments on two different accounts both are 30/60s one is about 18 months old and the other is 36 months old. I have cards with most all the other big credit card companies except for chase. Really hoping to get approved but these late payments make me nervous. I haven’t had issues being approved for other companies like Discover , Amex , NFCU , Apple , cap 1 , etc but I know chase seems to be stricter. I’ve tried to goodwill the late payments many times but discover and comenity will not budge. Do you guys think I should hold off longer or give it a shot? Any help and data points are appreciated !

Be sure all your reports are thawed.  Otherwise, you risk a delay in the processing of your application or being declined for an inaccessible CRA. Just keep in mind that Chase can double-pull in some instances (profile and geo-specific). 

As far as 5/24, yes AU accounts will count if any of them were added within the past 24 months (easily explainable in the event a reconsideration approach is warranted). Just be sure you have the correct count of any revolvers that you have opened in the past 24 months (even if you have closed any of them during that period). Installment/personal/student loans, mortgages, etc., are typically excluded from the 5/24 count.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

I applied for a Chase card recently and they only pulled Experian. 

Message 5 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

I applied for a Chase card recently and they only pulled Experian. 

Until last year that was in fact their modus operandi but as CreditInspired pointed out, right now having Chase make multiple pulls in response to an application is not unusual.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

Until last year that was in fact their modus operandi but as CreditInspired pointed out, right now having Chase make multiple pulls in response to an application is not unusual.

Ah, I didn't know that about last year. My application was just a few days ago so there is still a chance of only having 1 pulled currently. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.