Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird CLI Denial Reason From AMEX

tag
BrownSugah66
Regular Contributor

Re: Weird CLI Denial Reason From AMEX

@DONZI ....Thank you for replying. I just looked and noticed that I do not have 1 of my AMEX revolvers listed. My revolvers are AMEX Hilton (AF), Everyday, Everday Preferred (AF), and Blue Cash. These 4 revolvers currently have a $0.00 balance and I am unaware of any restrictions placed on them. In addition, my Rose Gold Card is barely used and currently has a balance of $900 left to pay on it from Christmas gift shopping. I was planning to pay the Gold Card off in full before the statement closing next week...but now I am so insulted by how AMEX is treating me that I may just close all 5 cards and lean more towards my Navy Federal Flagship Card as my primary user....Navy treats me like they really appreciate our relationship. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 28
DONZI
Established Contributor

I don't know that much about it, but $1,000 or less cards could be 'bucketed' -- there is a bit of extensive info about this type of card existence here on the forum(s).

The gist of it is that a bucketed card can't simply be un-bucketed due to some underwriting voodoo.

If perhaps those cards, when obtained were bucketed due to the state of your credit affairs, that can be circumvented by applying for a new card -- assuming the state of the current credit profile warrants an un-bucketed card..

As I understand it, this bucketed state isn't really anything a CLI or customer service rep and do anything about, so it can seem like they don't care.

I think it's apparent amex doesn't have a bone to pick with you -- after all you have 5 of their cards.

-and- a $20k POTL on the gold is representative of a decent relationship IMO. I'm guessing that is you newest amex card?

BTW: is the gold amex without a stated spending/credit limit?  (not to be confused with the 'pay charges over time' limit)

..I see now in a prior reply (I missed while I was writing) the gold is NPSL.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 12 of 28
BrownSugah66
Regular Contributor

@DONZI ...Thank you again. I really appreciate your replies and input. Back in 2018, I was in a credit rebuild stage...but all 3 of my FICO scores were 675-ish to 700-ish. The only baddies at the time I applied for my first 2 AMEX cards (March 2018) were 2 30-day late pays from October 2016 and I don't remember my number of hard inquiries being over 2 or 3 over the prior 2 years. When I initially applied for the first 2 AMEX revolvers....it was simply just a part of my credit rebuilding plan as I read somewhere in the MyFICO forums back then that having strong AMEX record in your credit profile was an advantage. I wasn't concerned about the $1000 SL as I was just happy to have been approved for my first AMEX cards. Now that it's almost been 4 years later, I have to admit that I am extremely proud of how far I have come in rebuilding my credit profile. I still have the 2 30-day late payments from 2016 on my file...and my AAOA has decreased due to other recently approved cards... but all 3 of my FICO scores are between 712 - 723 with my goal being 750 across the board. So...not sure what's AMEX's problem with me. As for my Gold Card....my statement only shows the $20k Pay Over Time limit. I have never come close to reaching this limit so I am not aware of any other limits that may be in place for this Gold Card. Again...thank you so much for your feedback. Very much appreciated. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 28
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@BrownSugah66 wrote:
@Brian_Earl_Spilner...Thank you for replying. Yes, I have had a Rose Gold Charge Card since March 2019. It doesn't have a "limit" per se.... but I do have a $20k Pay Over Time Limit on that card. Currently, I have a $900 balance on the Gold Card and, again, have never paid late and have often paid in full during the past 3 years. If there is a spend limit on my Gold Card...I am not aware of it and the Customer Service Agent I spoke to earlier did not mention it to me. The revolvers I requested a CLI for are: Hilton Honors (AF), Everyday, Blue Cash, and Everyday Preferred (AF).

If you log into your account and choose the gold and you have a hard limit, it will show the limit and available credit like a normal revolver. If that isn't the case for you, it's probably what I said earlier, one of your revolvers lost its flex ability. 

Message 14 of 28
notmyname
Regular Contributor

Good luck.

Message 15 of 28
notmyname
Regular Contributor

@BrownSugah66 wrote:
@DONZI...Thank you again. I really appreciate your replies and input. Back in 2018, I was in a credit rebuild stage...but all 3 of my FICO scores were 675-ish to 700-ish. The only baddies at the time I applied for my first 2 AMEX cards (March 2018) were 2 30-day late pays from October 2016 and I don't remember my number of hard inquiries being over 2 or 3 over the prior 2 years. When I initially applied for the first 2 AMEX revolvers....it was simply just a part of my credit rebuilding plan as I read somewhere in the MyFICO forums back then that having strong AMEX record in your credit profile was an advantage. I wasn't concerned about the $1000 SL as I was just happy to have been approved for my first AMEX cards. Now that it's almost been 4 years later, I have to admit that I am extremely proud of how far I have come in rebuilding my credit profile. I still have the 2 30-day late payments from 2016 on my file...and my AAOA has decreased due to other recently approved cards... but all 3 of my FICO scores are between 712 - 723 with my goal being 750 across the board. So...not sure what's AMEX's problem with me. As for my Gold Card....my statement only shows the $20k Pay Over Time limit. I have never come close to reaching this limit so I am not aware of any other limits that may be in place for this Gold Card. Again...thank you so much for your feedback. Very much appreciated. Smiley Happy

The 2 thirty days are what got you the 1000 limits. This is about your complete credit performance not whether AMEX wants to go out to dinner with you. 

Your score goal should be 760, that is considered the top arrival plateau then leading to 850.

Message 16 of 28
DONZI
Established Contributor

@BrownSugah66-- you're welcome, glad to offer my thoughts.

What @Brian_Earl_Spilner mentioned perhaps can be confirmed in chat or on the phone.. if there are any hard limits placed on any of the 4 amex credit cards?

..maybe such a limit could also be observed by an absence of the "Check Spending Power" link normally shown on each card's main/home page under the "Total Balance" (website, I have no idea about the android/ISO apps)

You've got a collection of cards, 17 in 4 years it appears, yes?

Maybe some sense could be made if you looked at the time-line of them all?  ..in consideration of the scores and 30-day lates, etc.  You have some healthy credit limits outside of the 4 amex credit cards. Perhaps there is some correlation to the time-line, scores, etc to the card account opening dates?

If you find one of the amex credit cards with a hard limit, and as @Brian_Earl_Spilner mentioned, perhaps that is specifically the issue -- maybe closing that card would remove the CLI hindering technicality...

BTW: which amex card(s) did you try a CLI on?

..I guess it doesn't matter since all 4 have a $1000 credit limit. It's interesting, next to a NPSL gold with the $20k POTL.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 17 of 28
caramel25
Established Member

...so the same thing happened to me. My credit score has been slowly getting better and some of my credit scores are around 706! Anyway, I was so excited when my Amex Experian score reached 690 last week. I finally thought I would be able to get an increase on my Blue Magnet (I also have Delta Gold, Green, Hilton Surpass). I was denied for exactly the same reason as you. 

My Hilton Surpass, Delta Gold and Blue Magnet have a $1k limit. My Green card  didn't have a pre set limit until I started not paying it in full ever month. After some months, Amex imposed a $2k limit on this card, thus giving it a "spending" limit. I started looking at my denial letters in the past for a cli and they all mentioned this same spending limit denial reason.

I spoke to a rep last week and she said she would find out if this limit could be removed from the Green card. It couldn't because too much time had passed by from when it was imposed on the account. To make a long story short, she said that I would never be able to get a cli on any of my cards because of the spending limit on my Green card. She said that the only way I could get it removed, would be during my periodic review by AMEX , which I would never know when this would be. She suggested to close my cards and combined the limits....

At this point, I have always been unsuccessful getting a cli from AMEX even though I have had these cards for several years. I should have just paid the Green card in full every month and I wouldn't be in this situation...

Message 18 of 28
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@caramel25 wrote:

...so the same thing happened to me. My credit score has been slowly getting better and some of my credit scores are around 706! Anyway, I was so excited when my Amex Experian score reached 690 last week. I finally thought I would be able to get an increase on my Blue Magnet (I also have Delta Gold, Green, Hilton Surpass). I was denied for exactly the same reason as you. 

My Hilton Surpass, Delta Gold and Blue Magnet have a $1k limit. My Green card  didn't have a pre set limit until I started not paying it in full ever month. After some months, Amex imposed a $2k limit on this card, thus giving it a "spending" limit. I started looking at my denial letters in the past for a cli and they all mentioned this same spending limit denial reason.

I spoke to a rep last week and she said she would find out if this limit could be removed from the Green card. It couldn't because too much time had passed by from when it was imposed on the account. To make a long story short, she said that I would never be able to get a cli on any of my cards because of the spending limit on my Green card. She said that the only way I could get it removed, would be during my periodic review by AMEX , which I would never know when this would be. She suggested to close my cards and combined the limits....

At this point, I have always been unsuccessful getting a cli from AMEX even though I have had these cards for several years. I should have just paid the Green card in full every month and I wouldn't be in this situation...

How did you get away with not paying the Green card in full every month if it's a charge card? Smiley Indifferent Do you mean you used the Pay Over Time feature?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 19 of 28
sarge12
Senior Contributor

I have always been denied CLI on any existing credit cards for the same reason....You have never used a significant amount of your existing credit limits. They seem to have no interest in supplying credit limit increases to minimize my utilization. It became so routine that I never even ask for CLI anymore. I do always recieve 10K or higher SL's though.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.