Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Macy's in-store experience with credit card request

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird Macy's in-store experience with credit card request

I was at Macy's today (mistake, oh god, so many people) but anyways.. I make it up to the counter and they ask, as usual for me to swipe my Macy's card and I do so. The woman then asks me if i'd like to upgrade my Plat Macy's store card to the Amex Macy's card... I gave her deer in the headlights eyes.. as I am 99% sure she couldn't of upgraded my card, that can only be done by Citi, when and if they're feeling generous. So, I asked.. is this a hard or soft inquiry? She didn't know what I was talking about, so I rephrased and asked if it would be a new credit application and she said yes. I thought.. I could only have 1 Macy's card... The Amex version has no appeal to me except the Amex logo.. I get better cashback with other cards. 

What exactly was this cashier trying to do? I noticed on her POS screen, she was able to see how much i've spent using my Macy's card and it even broke it down into a graph of which department I spend the most money in. That was lowkey creepy. What else can they see? My credit limit?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Weird Macy's in-store experience with credit card request

Well, they get commission on the apps, so she was probably trying to make rent.

Message 2 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was at Macy's today (mistake, oh god, so many people) but anyways.. I make it up to the counter and they ask, as usual for me to swipe my Macy's card and I do so. The woman then asks me if i'd like to upgrade my Plat Macy's store card to the Amex Macy's card... I gave her deer in the headlights eyes.. as I am 99% sure she couldn't of upgraded my card, that can only be done by Citi, when and if they're feeling generous. So, I asked.. is this a hard or soft inquiry? She didn't know what I was talking about, so I rephrased and asked if it would be a new credit application and she said yes. I thought.. I could only have 1 Macy's card... The Amex version has no appeal to me except the Amex logo.. I get better cashback with other cards. 

What exactly was this cashier trying to do? I noticed on her POS screen, she was able to see how much i've spent using my Macy's card and it even broke it down into a graph of which department I spend the most money in. That was lowkey creepy. What else can they see? My credit limit?

You can have both the store card and the amex version.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your soul😈

Message 4 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can have both the store card and the amex version.

25k each for $10 worth of purchasesSmiley Wink. Who needs SyncranySmiley Wink wink wink Syncony Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 19
RootDet
Established Contributor

I had macys back in the day before they closed my store and made the card pointless. You can have both cards and when you buy in the macys store, it will still charge to your store account. At least that is how it was back then. 

I do find the info they have a little creepy too. A cashier should not have that level of detail, but I wonder if the upgrade was a popup offer. 

Message 6 of 19
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@RootDet 

@AddictedToApproval

My Sister had the same offer while shopping @Macys and took the offer for the upgrade to Amx Macy's plus got auto Cl increase. Store Cc Cl $5000 upgrade Amx Cl $10,000 the upgrade is a pop up on the register and most likely the cashier offered the upgrade. 

Message 7 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous, Just for Info ...You can have more than (1) macy's card.

Message 8 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@gingerflower wrote:

@RootDet 

@AddictedToApproval

My Sister had the same offer while shopping @Macys and took the offer for the upgrade to Amx Macy's plus got auto Cl increase. Store Cc Cl $5000 upgrade Amx Cl $10,000 the upgrade is a pop up on the register and most likely the cashier offered the upgrade. 

+1

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow... okay, thanks everyone! 

My Macy's card is close to 7 months old, I started with a CLI of $500 and then increased to $8,000 last month. Would the upgrade pop-up offer return? I was spending perhaps $125 when I was asked. Is it a new credit application, or is it a soft pull upgrade? As Smarty showed, two cardss are possible- but would it be wise for me to grow my relationship with Citi beyond the 1 year mark? 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.