cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good Chase Card to get in with?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a good Chase Card to get in with?

I was recently approved for a Discover IT card, I also have a QS card. I bank with chase as is and was curious what would be a good starting card with them? My TU score is 680 currently. With my EQ Score about 675. Just curious if it is even worth trying to apply with them and try and get my foot in the door with them. 

12 REPLIES 12
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Re: What is a good Chase Card to get in with?

I'd say either the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.

I got the Freedom with scores around 600, but I had been a Chase customer for 4yrs at that point.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

How old is your Quicksilver card? I think your chances will improve if one of your cards is at least a year old.

Your scores are probably fine. But it looks like you may be relying on VantageScores provided by Credit Karma. If you have six months of history, you might want to get your three FICO8 scores. You can do that by signing up for a $1 trial at CreditCheck Total, then canceling during the trial period.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pulled my scores directly from Equifiax as I wanted to see how I was doing. QS is going on 8 months. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was so approved for $5k sapphire preferred with ficos in upper 670s after having always been denied by chase since my entire credit having life. At the time I had a long credit history (oldest 12 years) but few revolving cards (3), no loans & a couple of baddies (3 closed & paid medical collections, 1 30 day late Cap1 card closed at grantors request in 2012). How long is your credit history? You want to have had at least one card open for a year or longer or else they'll likely tell you no we want to see more experience first.

If you're just looking to get in perhaps one of the freedom cards or slate, though if you're looking for higher limits you might do better with a co-branded card like the Ritz as they seem to be more generous with co-branded cards over pure chase cards, though I don't know if they have easier acceptance underwriting terms or just generous starting limits.

Keep in mind they have a 5 cards in 24 month (search "chase 5/24" on this forum for details) rule after which you can't get a card from them regardless of how great your scores & credit profile may be. Might not matter to you now but helps to plan for future, after getting my CSP I wish I had planned out my apps better as now I'm locked out of other chase cards I want for a while. As always take a look at the chase.com prequal page, I used my results from there to help guage my chances of approval & went with the CSP when I found it in the results. Good luck!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I pulled my scores directly from Equifiax as I wanted to see how I was doing. QS is going on 8 months. 

EQ provides VantageScores 3.0 just like CK.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Slate and I haven't heard anything and when I call the Number to check on it it just tells me my app is still under consideration. Not sure if good or bad but better than an instant denial I suppose. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Chase Freedom with 6 months history and got denied, then as soon as my 1 year reported (CapOne journey & USAA Amex) I apped for Marriott with scores around 670s and was approved. 

Marriott card isn't for everyone though. I would go with the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited, depending on which reward system works better for you. 

Message 8 of 13
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was recently approved for a Discover IT card, I also have a QS card. I bank with chase as is and was curious what would be a good starting card with them? My TU score is 680 currently. With my EQ Score about 675. Just curious if it is even worth trying to apply with them and try and get my foot in the door with them. 

Check the Chase Pre-Qual site for offers. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got in with the Freedom Unlimited once I had at least a year under my belt, they approved me for $4,500 with scores in the mid 750s.

I believe with chase if you don't have at least a year history with a CC then it's more than likely a denial.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.