cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do if declined by a weird reason?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What should I do if declined by a weird reason?

The interesting thing is my utilization with Amex is always low... and this high statement balance hasn’t been reported to credit bureaus (my statements haven’t cut yet...) So that really surprised me...
Message 11 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

If the amount is unusually high, that's just another red flag.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

But I usually use my card heavily and pay down debt before statement cuts... is that a bad hobby?
Message 13 of 23
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
But I usually use my card heavily and pay down debt before statement cuts... is that a bad hobby?

It is not a bad hobby if you are playing a "long game".  It is best practice not to apply for a card with a lender if you have current high balances even if you intend to pay them before the statement cuts.  Even if they aren't on your statement, they can see what is going on with your accounts.  Maxing out credit lines and then applying for new credit is red flag related to bust out behaviors.  

It wasn't clear earlier in the thread that your statements hadn't cut yet.  That changes the picture slightly.

Message 14 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Emmm I have paid off those debt... but how long should i wait? because i some big purchase to make and i wanna use that card so that i can earn the SUB...

OP,  I would just check the Platinum Pre-qual on their site about once a week to see if you are pre-qualified?

I think paying those balances down is going to be key going forward.

Good Luck to you!

Message 15 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I agree, it's not weird. Your applying for a card that is required to be paid in full each month, but your 2 other cards with them are maxed out. Based on your income, they don't believe you can pay them and the Platinum off.

^^^ this

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 16 of 23
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Pay down your cards if you want another Amex card 

Your denial reason is very self explanatory.  Pay them down and reapply in 30 days

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all. Got Approved by recon after paying down the debts

Message 18 of 23
newfossil
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

Starting score - May 2018

April 2021

AAoA - 1 year 6 months
Message 19 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all. Got Approved by recon after paying down the debts

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.