cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Experian Is Pulled For Applications, Are Boosts Ignored?

tag
daveg38
Established Contributor

When Experian Is Pulled For Applications, Are Boosts Ignored?

I was curious about how credit card applications are affected by Experian Boosts.

I recently got one boost with two more pending, upping me 10 points with a possible 10-20 points forthcoming.

When American Express and Discover (which has been wanting me to unfreeze Experian for a prequal) see boosts, do they adjust your FICO 8 down, do they welcome the boosts, or deny you if boosted?

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
13 REPLIES 13
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: When Experian Is Pulled For Applications, Are Boosts Ignored?

Idk the answer but I wonder if Boost boosts your bankcard scores and other scores as well.  Have you checked all of your other scores to see?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 14
daveg38
Established Contributor

My report isn't due for an update yet, but I imagine that miscellaneous accounts not identified as a bankcard would not boost your FICO Bankcard 8/9 score.

I may be the sacrificial lamb here and do a prequal with Discover to see if they generate a FICO 9/Bankcard 9.

Edit: I tried the prequal, they had nothing.  Used my current boosted FICO 8 (not bankcard).

Message 3 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@daveg38 wrote:

I was curious about how credit card applications are affected by Experian Boosts.

I recently got one boost with two more pending, upping me 10 points with a possible 10-20 points forthcoming.

When American Express and Discover (which has been wanting me to unfreeze Experian for a prequal) see boosts, do they adjust your FICO 8 down, do they welcome the boosts, or deny you if boosted?

Just a wild guess, I believe that some or most algorithms discount the EX boost score.

I have no proof of this and could be wrong. (I am willing to be corrected)

Message 4 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I think if you fill out the BBVA pre-qaulify, they give you your EX score?

Message 5 of 14
daveg38
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@daveg38 wrote:

Just a wild guess, I believe that some or most algorithms discount the EX boost score.

When I did the Discover prequal, they quoted my boosted FICO 8 score, but score was not the reason for denial/no prequal offer (still have a CO with them in their system, although it's been paid in full).

Message 6 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@daveg38 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@daveg38 wrote:

When I did the Discover prequal, they quoted my boosted FICO 8 score, but score was not the reason for denial/no prequal offer (still have a CO with them in their system, although it's been paid in full).

They used EX for you? They used EQ for my prequal. Denied prequal for same reason though.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Lenders have the option of pulling the score with boost implemented, most choose not to. 

Boost is simply a feature offered by Experian, but for most lenders offers little to no value.

Person is very likely to continue paying rent while defaulting on cards, or paying utilities since life without electricity would be very hard, but when things get rough,  card payments are the first ones to be ignored.

Boost has limited but beneficial use for those with little to no credit, since there is nothing else to show how they would handle their obligations. 

There isn't a single major lender that is pulling *boosted* score that I know of. 

Message 8 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@daveg38  to answer your question, they don't pull the version with the boost. 

Message 9 of 14
daveg38
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@daveg38  to answer your question, they don't pull the version with the boost. 

As stated above, Discover pulled my boosted EX FICO 8 as evidenced by the score they presented me at the bottom of the prequal denial.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.