Which card to app for?

tag
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Re: Which card to app for?

@Meanmchinewrote:

My crystal ball says the AA card is the winner

Congrats

Smiley LOL Well darn your crystal ball is right! LOL  I'll be needing the power of your crystal ball in the future when I try for a Chase card Smiley Surprised. LMBO!!!

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 11 of 18
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
My last card was the Citi AA Plat which I was approved for about 2 weeks ago with the 60k offer. My next card will be the Premier which I'll app for in about May so...yeah, both great cards. I think the Premier makes more sense long term, I'm getting the AA for the SUB and cuz I needed a card to PC to the Dividend. I'm PCing the Premier to the Prestige and backing it up with TY points from the Sears MasterCard.

Essentially, unless you really value those AA perks from the AAdvantage, it seems a bit lackluster to me for a $95 annual fee.

I applied for the card for the $200 credit and points on upcoming family travel.  I needed to purchase the tickets now and wouldn't have enough time to earn the points so I went with instant gratification.  Although I had plans to keep the card, I would like to hear more about the Dividend card.  What is that?  I've never heard of it.

Yes, I thought the Premier would be ideal for long term as well and also liked the option that I could PC it down to the Prestige but it wouldn't help me now, which is what I needed.  I do plan to apply for it maybe next year sometime when I am planning another big vacation and will need the miles to help offset the cost of airline tickets.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Dividend card is basically Citi's version of the Chase Freedom or Discover It:  a 5% cash back card with quarterly rotating categories. Citi doesn't advertise the card anymore, nor do they take new applications for it. However, you can still PC another Citi card to it, so that's the only way to get it now aside from becoming an authorized user for someone else's account. Generally the categories aren't as good as the Freedom and It, but instead of a $1500 quarterly cap, it's a $6000 annual cap so you can use the entire cash back allowance under a single category if you like. It's a bit of a process to get, but if you're looking for a hefty SUB, then it's kind of a win-win cuz it gives you a justifiable, even desirable, downgrade option for a card that would otherwise become useless while also giving you a way to get the Dividend in the first place with a hefty SUB to boot.

To clarify, the Prestige is a PC *up* from the Premier. The Prestige is worthwhile for the 4th night free hotel stay, not to mention the 3 hour trip delay insurance and unlimited roadside use. If you go with either of these cards ultimately, I highly suggest you look into the Sears MasterCard. By default it earns Shop Your Way points, but you can call Citi and have them enroll it to earn Thank You points instead. Periodically offers will be sent out for 10x back on groceries/gas/restaurants - 10x that you would then earn as Thank You points! This is a fantastic way to rack em up.

Personally, when I'm done with Citi, my 3 Citi cards should be Dividend/Prestige/Sears MC (assuming I get approved for the last 2!)

Message 13 of 18
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Wow @f4phantom2500! You really have a full understanding of how to maximize points. Can we be friends?! 😆 I don’t have this type of understanding of the point system or the patience.

Thank you for outlining the strategy. I will need to print this to keep and follow when I decide to apply. You have been very helpful!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha, sure thing buddy! Feel free to PM me if you have a question or something. If you have questions about Chase or Amex or general cash back card strategy I can help with that too Smiley Happy - even non-credit (debit and the like) products to earn cash back and interest. personally I've opened 7 cards since July and have 8 more in my queue.
Message 15 of 18
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Haha, sure thing buddy! Feel free to PM me if you have a question or something. If you have questions about Chase or Amex or general cash back card strategy I can help with that too Smiley Happy - even non-credit (debit and the like) products to earn cash back and interest. personally I've opened 7 cards since July and have 8 more in my queue.

Thank you so much! I will definitely be in your PMs. 😆 

I have plans for Chase but I need to get higher scores and under 5/24. 

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well right off the bat I'd suggest taking a look into self lender. Basically its a way to build your credit without taking a hard inquiry or opening a line of credit. You pay the monthly surcharge for a full year then at the end they give you like 90% of the money back but it boosts your credit along the way.
Message 17 of 18
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Well right off the bat I'd suggest taking a look into self lender. Basically its a way to build your credit without taking a hard inquiry or opening a line of credit. You pay the monthly surcharge for a full year then at the end they give you like 90% of the money back but it boosts your credit along the way.

Again I’ll have to look it up. I don’t know what is.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.