cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards are newbie-friendly? (non-student)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which cards are newbie-friendly? (non-student)

Hi everyone!

My sister is new to credit, she's not going to college so she does not have any student loans and she doesn't have anything in her name, not even a cell phone. Blank report. Not sure she would even have a score. Anyway, I recently added her as an AU to my 9 month old, perfect payment history, 2K limit Cap One card hoping it will help. She doesn't want to go the secured route if she can avoid it. Are there any cards out there that she might qualify for? I'm also afraid she may end up getting denials regardless because companies won't be able to verify any records.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards are newbie-friendly? (non-student)

Discover, Capital One, and possibly Chase for their Freedom or FU card. If she is over 21 years old I would have her check Capital One and Chase's pre-qualifier first because they are pretty solid. Discover has a pre-qualifier too but it sucks.

Message 2 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Discover would have been my suggestion, but that is one of several that could work.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 10
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

Discover!

Message 4 of 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I'll 4th Discover. I added my step daughter to several cards and checked CCT at the 6th month to make sure she had scores. She apped for Discover and received a $1000 starting limit.
Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone!

My sister is new to credit, she's not going to college so she does not have any student loans and she doesn't have anything in her name, not even a cell phone. Blank report. Not sure she would even have a score. Anyway, I recently added her as an AU to my 9 month old, perfect payment history, 2K limit Cap One card hoping it will help. She doesn't want to go the secured route if she can avoid it. Are there any cards out there that she might qualify for? I'm also afraid she may end up getting denials regardless because companies won't be able to verify any records.

Thanks in advance!

Most likely would be Capital One Platinum, but she should check out Capital One's prequalification site. If she's preapplied for the Quicksilver, she should go for it. If not she should apply for a platinum card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can dhe qual for new cap one credit builder card if ahe is an AU?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Can dhe qual for new cap one credit builder card if ahe is an AU?

Yes.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So she won't have a score for 6 months even with my 9 month history?

@Gmood1 wrote:
I'll 4th Discover. I added my step daughter to several cards and checked CCT at the 6th month to make sure she had scores. She apped for Discover and received a $1000 starting limit.

Message 9 of 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

It took the full six months for her score to be generated across all 3 CB's. You can always check. Spend a $1 on CCT and check it.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.