cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Is PenFed Tempting Me?

baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Why Is PenFed Tempting Me?

Oh wow with those scores you would clean up at Penfed! IJS. You could app a card and THEN garden for a year. Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 32
davis968

I applied last night. Instant approval for $50k credit limit. 689 credit score with 21 inquiries. Yay...I can't believe it either. 

Message 12 of 32
2011XTERROR
Super Contributor

They're tempting you because it's a credit union and your username literally say CreditUnionFan
i am on mobile so i don't see your desktop signatures
Message 13 of 32
2011XTERROR
Super Contributor

But, realistically, if you don't need it (which you stated you don't) then $100 isn't worth a new account and HP IMO
Message 14 of 32
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@2011XTERROR wrote:
But, realistically, if you don't need it (which you stated you don't) then $100 isn't worth a new account and HP IMO

That's the dilemna. The card earns 5% in points for pay at the pump, and 3% for supermarkets, but a point isn't worth 1 cent. The Sams MC earns 5% on gasoline, and their 5% is worth 1:1. The Suntrust MC and BoA Cash Rewards earn 2%, and savings/checking account customers end up with 2.2%, basically the same.

The appeal is mainly that if I take a HP they will perhaps offer me other products down the road, like the mortgage refinance, the next auto loan, etc. as I build a "relationship" with them. I've had other lenders extend credit, but I am a fan of credit unions. Smiley Happy 

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 15 of 32
2011XTERROR
Super Contributor

I don't think taking one product will make you any more marketable to more products like mortgages. You either qualify or you don't in most cases.
Message 16 of 32
Sebastian503
Established Contributor

davis968 wrote:

I applied last night. Instant approval for $50k credit limit.  689 credit score with 21 inquiries. Yay...I can't believe it either. 

First Congratz!

Second, great info & recommend you consider posting on baller4life's:

"Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share" in the Credit Card Approvals section.

You would be an immediate Rock Star over there!

05/03/16 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 546, TU 501, EX 548
09/01/16 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 662, TU 628, EX 657
10/04/16 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 692, TU 665, EX 686
01/15/17 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 706, TU 670, EX 687 * all Yellow / Good
Message 17 of 32
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Can't say enough great things about Penfed. They've been great for me. When I got a car loan from them last year, 2.24% - a month later I got my SUV and their rate was 1.99% and witchout even asking they gave that to me. 

Amex Green • Amex BCP • Amex HH (Aspire®) • Barclay Rewards • Chase World of Hyatt • Chase FU • Capital One Quicksilver • Discover it • PENFED Platinum Rewards • Marvel MC • Amazon Store • Kohls Store • CL $109,330 • Car Loan (PENFED) 1.99% PAID

FICO® 8 Scores 805-812 FICO® 9 Equifax 822
Message 18 of 32
MEKWT
Frequent Contributor

@CAPTOOL wrote:

PenFed sucks. You should shred the mailer.

This is unacceptable behaviorSmiley Very Happy. I choked on my Gatorade reading this post. Great laugh. Def did not expect to read those words. lol

Staring Score: EQ 597 TU 617 EX 566 (01/22/2016)Current Score: EQ 667 TU 701 EX 744 (05/26/2016)
Message 19 of 32
Musiclover
Super Contributor

@davis968 wrote:

I applied last night. Instant approval for $50k credit limit. 689 credit score with 21 inquiries. Yay...I can't believe it either. 

Well, that is amazing! Congratulations!

Daily Drivers: Penfed Platinum Rewards; NFCU GoRewards; Discover..
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.