cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will asking for a CLI make AA more likely in the current economic situation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will asking for a CLI make AA more likely in the current economic situation?

(On a card that I would normally get one on, no question.)

I know I'm unlikely -- at very least "unlikely", maybe near impossible -- to get a CLI right now, but my question is, if I ask for one with a company that I've had a long and always positive relationship with, that approved me for a 2nd card with them last year and gave a good CL (for me), am I risking them taking AA? Does the act of my asking for a CLI make it more likely that they would CLD me?

The account that I would ask on is a smaller limit for me (3700.) It was over 10k (the CL was, not the balance), but when I got the second card I reallocated all but 500 to the new card. I did a CLI on it a few months back and they raised it from 500 to 3700. The balance now is about 380 as the statement is about to cut. Normally I'd paid it off, in this case I'll probably make a small payment to get under 9% util on this card. I want to maintain as much liquidity as I can for the moment, not knowing when I'll have a steady paycheck again. FWIW, I'll get through this time, I have ways I can fall back if I need more cash, I just don't know if I'll need to use one of them and would prefer not to if possible.

If I ask for a CLI, I expect to get denied, and that's fine honestly, as long as that's all that happens. If I did get one, a little extra room to operate without raising my overall util would be nice. My scores would support it under normal circumstances, they are better than when they gave me the recent one. Obviously these are not normal circumstances.

If you all that follow this stuff way more closely than I do think that asking for one poses much risk of AA, then it's obviously not worth doing.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BTW it would be a SP CLI with BoA.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Will asking for a CLI make AA more likely in the current economic situation?

If your credit profile is strong, there should be no risk of AA.

If card is BoA, ask away. If it's been 91 days from last approval per card. Smash that CLI button for 3x current limit. If you feeling frisky, ask for more. Computer will counter if you don't get full ask.
Message 2 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Will asking for a CLI make AA more likely in the current economic situation?

@Anonymous  ETA If you get full ask, it means you left $$$ on the table. So don't short change yourself.

Message 3 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If its sp, go for it. Lenders will take AA  nowadays if they want to anyway so no use fretting itSmiley Wink

Heck im still smashing Disco everyday , Corona be damnedSmiley Wink

Message 4 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

(On a card that I would normally get one on, no question.)

I know I'm unlikely -- at very least "unlikely", maybe near impossible -- to get a CLI right now, but my question is, if I ask for one with a company that I've had a long and always positive relationship with, that approved me for a 2nd card with them last year and gave a good CL (for me), am I risking them taking AA? Does the act of my asking for a CLI make it more likely that they would CLD me?

The account that I would ask on is a smaller limit for me (3700.) It was over 10k (the CL was, not the balance), but when I got the second card I reallocated all but 500 to the new card. I did a CLI on it a few months back and they raised it from 500 to 3700. The balance now is about 380 as the statement is about to cut. Normally I'd paid it off, in this case I'll probably make a small payment to get under 9% util on this card. I want to maintain as much liquidity as I can for the moment, not knowing when I'll have a steady paycheck again. FWIW, I'll get through this time, I have ways I can fall back if I need more cash, I just don't know if I'll need to use one of them and would prefer not to if possible.

If I ask for a CLI, I expect to get denied, and that's fine honestly, as long as that's all that happens. If I did get one, a little extra room to operate without raising my overall util would be nice. My scores would support it under normal circumstances, they are better than when they gave me the recent one. Obviously these are not normal circumstances.

If you all that follow this stuff way more closely than I do think that asking for one poses much risk of AA, then it's obviously not worth doing.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BTW it would be a SP CLI with BoA.

BOA gave me CLI's whenever I asked. Then one day they closed all 5 of my accounts.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 11
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Go for it.  

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 6 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I strongly doubt it. I got a CLI in the last week or so. As long as your credit stays fairly consistent (and it's good to begin with) I don't think people need to worry that banks will start turning on them. If lenders take AA against someone, the action probably isn't solely due to the current situation. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

... BOA gave me CLI's whenever I asked. Then one day they closed all 5 of my accounts.

Sorry, SJ -- might you add some context? 

Message 8 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

... BOA gave me CLI's whenever I asked. Then one day they closed all 5 of my accounts.

Sorry, SJ -- might you add some context? 

BOA granted all my card requests and all my CLI requests. I had 3 business cards and 2 personal cards. Total credit limits were 105k.

I always paid everything promptly, with them and all my other lenders, and had a completely clean record.

Then one day they closed my 2 personal cards, saying it was due to changing economic conditions and that I had enough credit available.  Then a few days later they closed 2 of my 3 business cards, and a few weeks later they closed the last of my business cards.

I finally called up to ask why. The business department said it was because my personal cards had been closed.

I know you're hoping to find something I did wrong, but I didn't do anything wrong. I paid in full on all the cards, except those with 0% APR promos, and on those I always paid at least twice the minimum payment, and never had more than 25% utilization.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:
... I know you're hoping to find something I did wrong ...

I don't know why you would think that -- I hope no such thing. 

I asked because I doubt closing all 5 cards was just a random thing & I had hoped to gleam, through a recounting of your experience, some steps to avoid in my own (newly restarted) BoA journey. 

But in no way do I wish to point a finger at you.

I thank you for sharing. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.