Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apply for american express

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

apply for american express

1.  I opened my american express blue cash every day last year March, and currently have 35,000 limit.  But this month, I received the same bonus offer for the same card for the same amount offer.  I already learned here that american express bonus is one time only, and if I apply again, american express will close my account.  But why I received the same bonus offer again if I already got one?  Is it because american express intentionally trying to make me fall into this trap and close my account?  I called the number on the offer, the lady told me the code is valid and I will get this bonus if I get approved.  She said she is not sure about the one time bonus policy.  I do not believe her. 

2.  My limit is 35,000, but my monthly spend is really low, because coctso and my other go to food places do not accept american express.  Am I in danger of losing my credit limit due to my small spending?  After I got my bonus, average about 100 dollars a month.  If I got my credit limit decrease, does that mean I will have to build up again every 6 months?  Or a phone call may get my credit limit back?

Thank you for sharing in advance, and sorry my English. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: apply for american express

Why do you need a 35k limit? If you pay it all off each month.

AMEX does this all the time they will send you other card offers as well or try and migrate you to other cards that make them more money. I basically feel that amex kind of abuses the system a little by offering people the blue card to get them in and then dangling the preferred or even the black card in order to get you to pay them larger and larger fees 

Message 2 of 10
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do you need a 35k limit? If you pay it all off each month.

AMEX does this all the time they will send you other card offers as well or try and migrate you to other cards that make them more money. I basically feel that amex kind of abuses the system a little by offering people the blue card to get them in and then dangling the preferred or even the black card in order to get you to pay them larger and larger fees 

Wow, wish they would dangle the black card offer in front of me! Too bad the AF is like a full month's salary for me LOL! OP, those mailers are marketing, and they are actually processed by a third party company on behalf of different banks. They most certainly do not always line up with knowing what your current cards are through the lender they are advertising for. AMEX is absolutely not trying to get you to fall for a trap. What point would that serve to a lender to purposely trick a customer into violating one of their policies? The simple answer to the original question is no, you may not hold 2 of the exact same AMEX card. As far as the low spend, AMEX can be known for issuing high limits even with low spend sometimes. There is the possibility of a CLD, but a lot of DPs suggest your limit could likely be restored with a simple phone call.

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 10
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1.  I opened my american express blue cash every day last year March, and currently have 35,000 limit.  But this month, I received the same bonus offer for the same card for the same amount offer.  I already learned here that american express bonus is one time only, and if I apply again, american express will close my account.  But why I received the same bonus offer again if I already got one?  Is it because american express intentionally trying to make me fall into this trap and close my account?  I called the number on the offer, the lady told me the code is valid and I will get this bonus if I get approved.  She said she is not sure about the one time bonus policy.  I do not believe her. 

Where did you recieve this offer? On the website? Snail mail? Why would AMEX intentionally make you close an account? They would lose revenue. Front line CSR's often do not know the full story when it comes to SUB's or account eligibilities.

2.  My limit is 35,000, but my monthly spend is really low, because coctso and my other go to food places do not accept american express.  Am I in danger of losing my credit limit due to my small spending?  After I got my bonus, average about 100 dollars a month.  If I got my credit limit decrease, does that mean I will have to build up again every 6 months?  Or a phone call may get my credit limit back?

No, you won't see a CLD with good credit behavior. Now, if you start to pursue credit hunting behaviors or start increasing your debts any creditor could choose to limit their liabilities & reduce credit. Again, if you're responsible you'll be fine.

Message 4 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Physh1 wrote:

No, you won't see a CLD with good credit behavior. Now, if you start to pursue credit hunting behaviors or start increasing your debts any creditor could choose to limit their liabilities & reduce credit. Again, if you're responsible you'll be fine.

This is a pretty big YMMV. 

AMEX has been known to sporadically CLD accounts particularly with the no-AF revolvers that while in continued good standing consistently had a low percentage of their credit limit used even if the card was used regularly.   Their last wholesale sweep was done maybe 18+/- months ago and a number of accounts had their CLs slashed by 30-50%, however you're correct that in many cases a phone call was sufficient to restore the CL. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion 

Thank you for your information.    

You are already in the one million plus credit, that is amazing.  I want to try that in 10 years.  What is your single largest credit limit exclude charge card?  Which brand and which card?  

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Physh1 

Thank you.    

I received the same bonus offer in mail.  

What I mean is american express should not send me the same bonus that I already got, if I apply and approve, they will close my account.  Why not just stop send me the same bonus that I already got?  

Mu utilization is always small, if I can keep my credit limit, that will be great.  I just hard to believe they will keep my limit while I only spend less than 1% in long term.  

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 

Thank you for sharing.

Message 8 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Physh1 

Thank you.    

What I mean is american express should not send me the same bonus that I already got, if I apply and approve, they will close my account.  Why not just stop send me the same bonus that I already got?  

Mu utilization is always small, if I can keep my credit limit, that will be great.  I just hard to believe they will keep my limit while I only spend less than 1% in long term.  

Often times, the marketing department isn't synchronized with the credit department.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Physh1 

Thank you.    

Did something change with Amex? I thought if you applied for a card you already had it resulted in a denial not closure of your current card...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.