Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCP CLI in the mail

tag
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

AMEX BCP CLI in the mail

Something curious arrived in the mail for my wife today.  An offer from AMEX for a CLI for her BCP card.  The proposed move was from $12,900 to $19,300, a CLI of $6400.  I'd never seen it done this way...usually a CLI is just done and they might notify you later.  But we entered the information and presto, instant CLI!

Now her BCP is almost the same as mine at $20k.  Not that we're competing. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ironchef
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI in the mail

Congrats on the Nice CLI!

Message 2 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on The BCP

Message 3 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

Nice!  Congrats to your wife!!  

I haven't seen a post about an Amex mail CLI in about 2 years -- it's certainly not a common thing for folks on the forums so I thought perhaps it's offered to folks that rarely or never request CLIs online  (like 'normal' consumers that don't frequent credit forums and have no clue about the 3X Amex CLI thing)  -  has your wife requested a CLI in the last 6 months, or ever? 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 10
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Nice increase!

Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200

Message 5 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats!
Message 6 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on your increase

Message 7 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Congrats on a surprisingly great CLI! 

Hurry—try to wreck her credit so her limit doesn’t catch yours! Lol kidding, kidding.

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 10
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Nice!  Congrats to your wife!!  

I haven't seen a post about an Amex mail CLI in about 2 years -- it's certainly not a common thing for folks on the forums so I thought perhaps it's offered to folks that rarely or never request CLIs online  (like 'normal' consumers that don't frequent credit forums and have no clue about the 3X Amex CLI thing)  -  has your wife requested a CLI in the last 6 months, or ever? 

I'm pretty sure that I did the Amex triple-CLI move when we first got the cards about eight years ago. (We have seperate cards in this single case to take advantage of the grocery cash back benefit so they are frequently used).  After doing the CLI, I think she was at $12,900 and I decided not to ask for the full triple and just went for an even $20k.  And if I remember, she actually had a CLD on this card for awhile, back to $7500 when things were tighter and she was at 90%+ utilization.  I was a little surprised to find out that it was back at $12,900 before we did this CLI but we did completely pay off the balance earlier in the year.  

I've never done another CLI on my card but I figure I don't have much to lose at this point.  I'm going to wait a couple of months while we pay off a couple of credit cards (including the balance of our shared Amex Platinum) before asking for a CLI.  That should bump up the scores a bit (current FICO 8 scores are about 740).  I'd like to ask for $5k-$10k more....not sure what Amex generally does after the 3X CLI, even if it has been several years...anyone have experience in this?

Message 9 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Sevenfeet wrote:

I'd like to ask for $5k-$10k more....not sure what Amex generally does after the 3X CLI, even if it has been several years...anyone have experience in this?

There's a very long thread on the topic of Amex 3x CLIs (you can read the first post then skip to the last few pages for most recent posts) --  and I would guess every amex (revolving) card holder in this forum has experience with it  >>Link>> The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

You can request an increase up to 3 times your current limit every 181 days -- it is a soft pull on Experian.   Amex will counter with a lower amount if they are not willing to increase to the total 3x amount.   If denied outright, you have to wait 91 days to try again -- unless you were denied simply because you requested before the 181 day mark -- and if that's the case, you can request again as soon as you reach 181 days.   The only thing to keep in mind is that once your request reaches, I believe, the $34K+  mark, amex may request an IRS form 4506T to verify income (not mandatory to comply) -- read through the thread for more info on that.  Enjoy!

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.