Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express approval 30k

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express approval 30k

So I called Amex application over the phone, was approved for blue cash everyday card. 30k, 21.39 apr, which really sucks. So I set up Amex app. It says I have 10k limit. Call customer service, they say you get the 30k after 2 weeks. Weird. Anyone ever hear of this. I did a text chat through the app and was told credit limit 30k, available credit 10k. Another question, can I ask 3x after 61 days, that would be 90k. 😊  first American Express card ever, fico 8 ex. 754. Income 110,000. Been told don't use at Walmart, just high-end stores. Any truth to that?? Thanks 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Re: American Express approval 30k

Congrats on the approval!

Message 2 of 26
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Congrats on the card! I've got a bunch of Amex cards and never heard of staged SLs or different SLs from different sources. I have had them move some CL from an existing card when I app'ed for a new one, but it was never unambiguous. You can certainly try for 3x, but it is not a slam dunk that you'll get it. I haven't heard of Amex getting tighter, but a lot of lenders have over the past year and aren't as generous with CLs as they were.

I don't know why you wouldn't use the card at Walmart, I don't have the BCE but have used my Amex cards there for years.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya I can't find anything that talks about the staggered starting credit limit. Nothing. How long before I can apply for another card. 61days?? I still haven't received the card yet, applied on March 25. I have nothing in writing about the 10,000, then 2 weeks later 30k. Just the text message from customer service.

Message 4 of 26
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 26
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new Amex and the great SL.  My Amex also had a temporary 10k limit before I got the physical card.  My full SL became available after I activated it.  You can 3x CLI after 61 days, but I wouldn't expect a full 3x on a 30k SL.  Also be aware that Amex will usually (but doesn't always) ask for IV for CLI requests of >$5k that take the limit above ~$25k-$30k.  As far as just using the card at "high-end stores", I don't know why someone would say that.  It swipes the same anywhere Amex is accepted.  The 3% cb on groceries doesn't include big box stores like Target and Walmart, so that may have been what they were referring to.

Message 6 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use your card at whatever stores you want to use it at. I'm an AMEX fan, but I'll say it's not nearly as "elite" as youre envisioning it. It swipes everywhere just fine. 

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

well I was reading this guys online commentaries, and it was about tricks and hacks for American Express. Not to use at Walmart, high end stores, he mentioned first swipe should be Starbucks. He mentioned how he would use a different vpn, when he went on the American Express app, or website or email from and too American Express, so it looked like he was traveling the globe. He made it look like he was a high roller, said he got a bunch of free Stuff and offers, better cli's too better cards. It was a little interesting. 

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

well I was reading this guys online commentaries, and it was about tricks and hacks for American Express. Not to use at Walmart, high end stores, he mentioned first swipe should be Starbucks. He mentioned how he would use a different vpn, when he went on the American Express app, or website or email from and too American Express, so it looked like he was traveling the globe. He made it look like he was a high roller, said he got a bunch of free Stuff and offers, better cli's too better cards. It was a little interesting. 

If I had to work that hard at having a card, I wouldn't have the card. You're overthinking this. 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.