Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex SPG Luxury Card offers - Update: Approved

tag
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Amex SPG Luxury Card offers - Update: Approved

I currently have a mix of Amex charge (Plat, PRG, Business Platinum, and Business Gold) and credit (Delta and Hilton Aspire) cards.

I’ve been waiting for the new SPG luxury card to become available to see whether it would be worth getting - specifically for the welcome bonus and points on spending with Marriott/SPG properties, since I already have most of the benefits on other Amex cards.

When I’m logged into my account online, Amex shows me as pre-approved for any card I click on, including the new SPG card, and shows the 100k points for $5k spend offer, valid until October. This morning, I received an e-mail from SPG to apply for the card, with a higher offer of 125k points for $5k spend, valid until December.

The higher offer probably makes applying for the card a no-brainer for me, but my dilemma is this: applying for another card as an existing Amex cardmember typically only requires a soft pull. If I click through to the SPG card while logged into my account, the site only shows the 100k point offer. Getting the 125k offer requires going to the application via the SPG e-mail and filling out a completely blank app, which makes me wonder if going that route to get the better offer would result in a HP from Amex.

Any ideas?

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex SPG Luxury Card offers

While this approach would vary by individual, if said offer was no brainer and I wasn't anticipating any major credit activity, one HP wouldn't hold me back. Especially with such a targeted offer.

It's likely it would end up SP but YEMV. When logged online, have you cleared cache/cookies or are you in an incognito window? Have you checked on your mobile app to see whether the offer is different than the 100K?
Message 2 of 10
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

I’ve checked on 2 different PCs and 2 different mobile devices. The offer is consistently 100k, and the only way to access the 125k offer is to follow the link from the e-mail to Marriott’s site, then type in my SPG number, then follow the link from there to the cold (?) app on Amex’ site.

1 HP wouldn’t be the end of the world, and I will definitely be staying at multiple Marriott/SPG properties over the next several months, so I’m awfully tempted Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 10
Gokuva
Regular Contributor

Most of the SP AMEX apporvals I've read have been from profiles that have a strong relationship with them. I would assume that if you're preapproved on their website & they're sending you a targetted 125k exclusive offer they like your profile. I haven't read any data points on email app vs website app... so if you do bite the bullet and take the 125k offer please report back! I think 25k points is well worth the risk.

It would make sense that all applications get processed the same way regardless of origin, but I have no clue. Good luck!  Cat Happy

Message 4 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Well, considering how many folks have been mentioning the possibility of a higher SUB and trying their hardest to trigger it (short of voodoo tricks), and you being one of those fortunate recipients with said offer, I'd pull the trigger. Then again, that's just me.

Lots of folks seem to be disappointed in the current 100K SUB, but I'd be happy even with the absence of the 125K one 😁
Message 5 of 10
bondsandloan
Regular Contributor

I got the 125k offer via email from spg/marriott too. My best guess is accessing that offer through the email link will trigger a hp.
While the 100k offer while logged into your Amex account will not.
Message 6 of 10
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of. Amex apps typically give you the opportunity to log in first before completing the application, after which you can see if you’re pre-approved, the application screen I get when I click on the special link from the Marriott site is missing that function.

After I was approved for the PRG and Delta cards early last year, I was approved for the subsequent 3 cards on soft pulls.  I’ve never been late with them, run about $2k in charges through them each month, and PIF, so I imagine by this point I’m good for whatever card I want with them...?

Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As long as your profile is clean and everything else checks out, I couldn't see why AmEx wouldn't approve you for another one - HP or SP (whichever outcome it yields). Well-worth it in the end IMO.
Message 8 of 10
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

After thinking it over a little longer, I decided to apply off the Marriott/SPG e-mail offer and was approved for the standard $3100 SL and there appears to be no HP on my Experian report. Yippie!

Now I have 3 months to spend the $5k and get my 125k points. Admins, feel free to move this thread over to credit card approvals 👍🏻
Message 9 of 10
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the new card and SUB 🙂

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.