Established Contributor

Re: App Spree

Congrats!

Message 11 of 16
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats on your new home and cards

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 12 of 16
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

@bman86 wrote:

I applied for the Citi Costco card last week and was declined. Is that card harder to get? I wanted that card first but was trying to get in with Citibank either way. Should I try the Costco card again or let the Best Buy card grow a little bit and apply again later?

Although the Costco card looks as if its a Co-Branded third party card it is directly controlled by CITI and they will not look at you until 5 years past BK.  The CITI best buy card is a true 3rd party Co-Branded card.  One of the easiest ways to tell so you don't burn the inquiry is to go to the Issuing Banks Website select credit cards and see if the card is listed. If it is then it is not a true Third Party Co-branded card and the issuing Banks rules will apply regarding Bankruptcy. (Periodically, issuing banks may lower standards for a period of time on some co-branded cards if enrollment is down. One way of possibly determining this is if there is an influx in advertising for a particular card.) 

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its not the BK, its your scores with BK I think.

I got the Citi Costo at 2.5 years post discharge. Scores high 720s. I went through dozens of threads when I was planning my rebuild and made notes (specially about that card) and there were several good dp's suggesting that was the window. When Pizza1 put her Costco thread up, someone in the thread mentioned that they saw a 25 months post discharge get that card. Another poster popped up and said their husband also got in it around 25 months post. That pushed the number of dp's into the green for me so I pulled the trigger.

Message 14 of 16
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 15 of 16
bman86
Regular Contributor

Thanks, that's a good point. I think it's time to sit in the garden and let my account grow. Once my scores are back up over 700 and my accounts age a little bit I'll re apply for the Costco card. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.