Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved - United Mileage Plus Club Card

tag
TM82
Regular Contributor

Approved - United Mileage Plus Club Card

I received a targeted offer a few weeks go after getting the Mileage Plus Explorer card for the 55k bonus miles to get the Club card with the annual fee waived. I was holding off on applying since I just got the Explorer in late March and I already have 5 Chase cards (Freedom, CSP, Amazon, Palladium, and Explorer).

But my targeted offer expired on the 31st and I have an upcoming trip to Newport that I wanted to break the card in on. So unfroze Experian since that's the only CRA Chase seems to pull, and bam, approval for $20,000. That surprised me since most of the Chase cards I got seemed to have smaller lines (CSP @5k, even though that card gets about 3.5k a month through it and 2k for the MPE, which I got just for the bonus, and 1.5k for the Amazon which I let my cousin use). But maybe they were just making it up to me.

Some data points

myFico has Equifax at 749, reported utilization at 6%, income at 95k. 5 existing Chase cards, last one in March. 5 inquiries on EX, only 1 in the past 6 months.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Approved - United Mileage Plus Club Card

grats!!!
very nice limit. I hope Chase can give me such a high limit Smiley Tongue

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 15
rkinnahan
New Contributor

55,000 bonus miles?  that's almost double the current broad market offer.  Did you get that through a mailer?  Congrats and nice limit!

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 3 of 15
CreditHammer

I've been dying to App for this card.. But my scores just arent high enough yet.. and my util is at about 62% Smiley Sad  I'm paying it off so my scores keep jumping every month... getting their slowly but surely

Message 4 of 15
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

55k! nice targeted bonus you got there. quite jealous although I'm in no position to app for at least 9 months.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 5 of 15
CS800
Super Contributor

Congrats !!

I see that you have a good lineup of Chase cards in your siggy

Message 6 of 15
TM82
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I did get targeted for the 55k points but I've heard that anyone can really app for the MPE and SM Chase asking them to match it.

I've literally acquired all the cards that I really want now, so anything else from now will be for just bonus points and meeting minimum spend.

For me right now it's

Freedom - 5% categories plus wife's daily spend.
Amazon - AU card for my cousin who doesn't have a SSN and pays me in full every month.
CSP - Daily spend for my parents who pay me in full every month.
Palladium - Don't use it much if at all lately, so I reserve it for my UR bonus points mall spend since they're less likely to protest the bonus point claim. I got this for the United Club status which I now have, so when the AF waiver comes due I may close to consolidate into my new Club card.
MPE - Bonus points only, will sock drawer it now.

And whatever Amex I carry is exclusively for Costco purchases. Though I may now just start buying Costco Cash cards online at Costco.com and start getting 1.5 miles instead of a crappy 1 MR point.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 7 of 15
blk8
Regular Contributor

@TM82 wrote:
I received a targeted offer a few weeks go after getting the Mileage Plus Explorer card for the 55k bonus miles to get the Club card with the annual fee waived. I was holding off on applying since I just got the Explorer in late March and I already have 5 Chase cards (Freedom, CSP, Amazon, Palladium, and Explorer).

@But my targeted offer expired on the 31st and I have an upcoming trip to Newport that I wanted to break the card in on. So unfroze Experian since that's the only CRA Chase seems to pull, and bam, approval for $20,000. That surprised me since most of the Chase cards I got seemed to have smaller lines (CSP @5k, even though that card gets about 3.5k a month through it and 2k for the MPE, which I got just for the bonus, and 1.5k for the Amazon which I let my cousin use). But maybe they were just making it up to me.

Some data points

myFico has Equifax at 749, reported utilization at 6%, income at 95k. 5 existing Chase cards, last one in March. 5 inquiries on EX, only 1 in the past 6 months.

Just so I understand this right, you have the Palladium card but your other cards with Chase have a 5k and below limit?

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 8 of 15
TM82
Regular Contributor

Yes that is correct. Palladium is set at 15k so this is my highest Chase line to date.

That's one of my concerns I had because if it went to recon there wouldn't be much that I could ask them to take a line from.
My Cards

Message 9 of 15
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Other than the sign up bonus, is there any other reason to have both the explorer and the club card?

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.