Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building credit with Capital One!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building credit with Capital One!

I am happy to say I am in the road to building credit! I am 19 years old (20th birthday is in 3 months) and I finally got my first secured credit card. I was approved for the Capital One Secured MasterCard. I have no credit score or any previous credit history (although I do have quite a few inquiries being an anxious teen previously). My deposit was $49 and my credit line is $200. Here's the timeline:

Got approved on 10/8/16
Sent deposit 10/8/16
Deposit taken out of account 10/11/16
Received materials in the mail (I don't remember probably a week before I received the card)
Received email cc was on the way 10/18/16
Received credit card 10/20/16

I will make any updates as soon as possible!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Building credit with Capital One!

Congrats. Slow and steady. Eventually you can probably get a Quicksilver. Capital One was very good to me when I started rebuilding.

Message 2 of 11
dallascowboyfan
Contributor

Congratulations on building your credit 😊

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new card
Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great! Take your time learn the dos and donts and youll set yourself up nicely for the future!!Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I pretty much have everything down pact, the only thing I'm confused about is the ulitlization percetage. I am planning to keep it BELOW 30% at all times, but I've heard the lower the better.. so can I use that 30% then make a payment before the statement posts to bring it down to around 5% or would it not make a difference?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can max your card out multiple times a month and pay in full as long as you only have less than 10% on your card when the statement date hits.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job youngster enjoy that card and always think about your future.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you! I pretty much have everything down pact, the only thing I'm confused about is the ulitlization percetage. I am planning to keep it BELOW 30% at all times, but I've heard the lower the better.. so can I use that 30% then make a payment before the statement posts to bring it down to around 5% or would it not make a difference?

Utilization - 101: This is based off of your credit report and the most recent information received by each credit bureau. FICO Scoring Models "Score" Utilization in two (2) ways.

#1 Overall Revolving Utilization - this is the total balance on all your "revolving accounts" i.e credit cards & store cards divided by the total credit lines on all your revolving accounts. General guidance is to keep this number below 30% at any time. If you are planning to apply for new credit (new loan, credit card, etc) you should get this below 10% with 5%-6% generally being ideal and maximizing your credit score.

#2 Per Account Utilization - very similar to overall utilization, but on a per account basis. Again under 30% as a general rule, once an account reports with over 30% utilization you typically see dip in your FICO scores. How much really depends on each individuals credit profile, the longer / older the profile the lower the impact. You see much greater negative impacts and dips when you have an account report 50% , 70%, 90% utilization.  

Lenders like Capital One all have their own formulas and risk models they use internally. Capital One generally wants you to use the card (a lot) but not carry a balance. Best practice is to use the card for everything, making multiple payments every month to keep available credit open and to make sure that when the statement cuts the balance is below 10% utilized. For a $200 credit line that means $20.  Play by their rules and, use the card, make lots of payments, and keep the statement balance under $20 and they will reward you with a credit line increase on the secured card and in 6 moths you'll probably be preapproved for a QuickSilver One MC or QuickSilver Visa with a much higher unsecured credit line.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you, I have a secured card with them also, and after 5 on time payments they increase my CL from $200 to $500, on the 7th month I applied for an unsecured card with them and got approved Smiley Happy I also had a secured card with my credit union and after 10 months got approved for an unsecured card with large credit limit. Follow the advice on this site and others like Nerdwallet etc and you'll be good to go.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.