Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE!!!, Merrill+, Citi Premier, Club Carlson Business

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

CHASE!!!, Merrill+, Citi Premier, Club Carlson Business

Fell off the wagon on Sunday, it's been almost 6 months since my last app.  Don't really need anything, but I have plenty of spend and no sign-on bonuses to work on currently.

1. Merrill+ approved for 10k - decided to get this before it closes for new apps (maybe next week).  I'm also hoping maybe BofA will allow me to use the same HP to get the new card they should be launching soon.  Interest in this card is for the $500-1k sign-on bonus value.

2. Citi Premier approved for $7.7k - this was pre-approved on the Citi site.  I have been thinking about the Citi Prestige for a while, but the $7.5k initial spend right now is a little high for me and my current travel doesn't really allow me to take advantage of the 4th night free very easily.  The 50k TY points are the reason for this card.

3. Club Carlson Business approved for $10k - For whatever reason, US Bank refuses to approve me for any personal cards, but they love me on the business side.  There's an 85k point sign-on bonus (they claim worth up to 9 nights, but I think more like 3) and 40k annual bonus for a $60 AF.  The annual bonus should be worth at least twice the AF so this is a no-brainer.  Also somewhat interested because the Citi Hhonors card is going away so another hotel card interests me.

4. Chase Amazon 7-10 days - APPROVED $5k on recon - just because I'm a glutton for punishment.  I'm on the Chase BL for a CO from 7 years ago.  Every 6 months or so I submit an application to Chase, they double pull EQ/EX then deny me.  I call in each time to recon and get to experience the joy of being denied by a live person (one time I thought I was in as the analyst said he'd submit my recon for approval, the automated message changed from 7-10 to 14 days, but ultimately denied again).  I was 100% expecting the denial, and I'll call in to recon once i get the letter.  I've seen several stories of peopel with Chase IIB and CO getting approved for the Amazon card and I'm a huge Amazon shopper, so I'm thinking there's a chance.  I already have an Amazon store card for 5%, but I'd prefer to use an external CC for the additional protections.

***Update***

Got my denial letter from Chase and called in to recon.  The analyst was cool and I pretty much had everything in the best possible shape.  In the denial letter my score was 800+ based on Chase internal scoring.  I have been maintaining a checking account with Chase.  My CO fell off my report earlier this year.  The credit analyst I spoke with was cool as he gathered some information.  He was interested in knowing why I had the CO originally (financial crisis, no job), what I've done since to correct the situation (PIF every month, huge limits but no debt) and after he put me on hold a while, he wanted to know why I opened so many cards recently (about 30 in the past 2 years, I told him it's very nice to be able to restablish relationships).  He was clearly happy with all the answers and told me he'd try to get an answer tonight, came back in about 5 more minutes and approved for $5k!  I do pretty much all my shopping on Amazon and I wanted the security of using an external card as opposed to the Amazon store card.  This was basically the last hurdle in my credit recovery journey.  4 for 4 on this little spree!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: Merrill+, Citi Premier, Club Carlson Business

Nice spread you snagged up there! 

I just got the Merrill+ myself about a month ago for the same reason as you - the signup. I also just got approved for the Prestige last week for that 4th night. I've got a few larger than normal purchases coming up so going to tackle that spend, and I agree, it's a little higher than I'd like but i'm going to spend that money anyway so at least I get a little back. 

I don't have any experience with Carlson but I do have the Chase Amazon Visa. It was my 'in' with Chase as well, as I'm sure othes on here can say the same, so keep chasing that one. Sounds like you might get an approval soon as your CO ages a bit. Congrats again and good luck!  

Message 2 of 8
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Merrill+, Citi Premier, Club Carlson Business

Yeah, I'm hoping Chase lets me back in at some point.  It has been over 7 years since my CO and it no longer shows on my reports.  There have been a lot of reports around here of people who were allowed back in 2-3 years after CO or IIB.

I'm speculating that Chase hates me because they want to hide their own shame.  I had a relatively small CO of under $5k - had similar amounts with Citi & Bofa at the same time and they have both let me back in.  Shortly after CO, Chase served me with a lawsuit complaint and got a judgment (around the 2010 timeframe).  Some years after that in 2013, I settled with them and decided to forget about them until some more time passed.  Then, a few years later in 2015, Chase was busted for illegal collection practices (robo signing affidavits for lawsuits and such, link below) and was fined and ordered to stop collection activities.  They actually sent me a check in conjunction with this settlement.

So, it's my theory that they just want to stick me in a tower with an iron mask bolted to my face for the rest of eternity.  Only thing I can do is to keep trying I guess.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-chase-kamala-settlement-20151102-story.html

Message 3 of 8
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: CHASE!!!, Merrill+, Citi Premier, Club Carlson Business

Chase, approved on recon (update in first post)!

Message 4 of 8
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Nice Job on the recon!!! Feels good to check another one off your list! Congrats!
Message 5 of 8
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congrats! on a good mini spree and the successful chase recon Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I wanna take a happypill tooSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 8
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@happypill wrote:

Fell off the wagon on Sunday, it's been almost 6 months since my last app.  Don't really need anything, but I have plenty of spend and no sign-on bonuses to work on currently.

1. Merrill+ approved for 10k - decided to get this before it closes for new apps (maybe next week).  I'm also hoping maybe BofA will allow me to use the same HP to get the new card they should be launching soon.  Interest in this card is for the $500-1k sign-on bonus value.

2. Citi Premier approved for $7.7k - this was pre-approved on the Citi site.  I have been thinking about the Citi Prestige for a while, but the $7.5k initial spend right now is a little high for me and my current travel doesn't really allow me to take advantage of the 4th night free very easily.  The 50k TY points are the reason for this card.

3. Club Carlson Business approved for $10k - For whatever reason, US Bank refuses to approve me for any personal cards, but they love me on the business side.  There's an 85k point sign-on bonus (they claim worth up to 9 nights, but I think more like 3) and 40k annual bonus for a $60 AF.  The annual bonus should be worth at least twice the AF so this is a no-brainer.  Also somewhat interested because the Citi Hhonors card is going away so another hotel card interests me.

4. Chase Amazon 7-10 days - APPROVED $5k on recon - just because I'm a glutton for punishment.  I'm on the Chase BL for a CO from 7 years ago.  Every 6 months or so I submit an application to Chase, they double pull EQ/EX then deny me.  I call in each time to recon and get to experience the joy of being denied by a live person (one time I thought I was in as the analyst said he'd submit my recon for approval, the automated message changed from 7-10 to 14 days, but ultimately denied again).  I was 100% expecting the denial, and I'll call in to recon once i get the letter.  I've seen several stories of peopel with Chase IIB and CO getting approved for the Amazon card and I'm a huge Amazon shopper, so I'm thinking there's a chance.  I already have an Amazon store card for 5%, but I'd prefer to use an external CC for the additional protections.

***Update***

Got my denial letter from Chase and called in to recon.  The analyst was cool and I pretty much had everything in the best possible shape.  In the denial letter my score was 800+ based on Chase internal scoring.  I have been maintaining a checking account with Chase.  My CO fell off my report earlier this year.  The credit analyst I spoke with was cool as he gathered some information.  He was interested in knowing why I had the CO originally (financial crisis, no job), what I've done since to correct the situation (PIF every month, huge limits but no debt) and after he put me on hold a while, he wanted to know why I opened so many cards recently (about 30 in the past 2 years, I told him it's very nice to be able to restablish relationships).  He was clearly happy with all the answers and told me he'd try to get an answer tonight, came back in about 5 more minutes and approved for $5k!  I do pretty much all my shopping on Amazon and I wanted the security of using an external card as opposed to the Amazon store card.  This was basically the last hurdle in my credit recovery journey.  4 for 4 on this little spree!

This is a lot of $$$ to add....

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.