Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Credit Steps Program

Message 41 of 44
dk2003
Regular Contributor

@cracksmeup wrote:

I received my Capital One card and was enrolled in the Credit Steps program last October.  As I understood it, as long as the account was kept in good standing, with no lates or anything, I would receive a CLI every 6 months.  I did get one 6 months later, in April.   I just did the online chat thing with a rep from Capital One to find out when they would be putting in the CLI.  He told me that the Credit Steps Program was a one time promotion and that my account was already increased under the promotion in April.  WTH?  Anybody else in this program and received more than one increase?  I'm almost positive that when I received the info about the program in the mail it said every 6 months, not just one.  If it really is only a one time thing then the name needs to be changed to Credit Step, not StepS!

I'm not sure if someone else posted it or not becasue I didn't go through all 5 pages Smiley Happy, However, I'll tell you my experience. I started out with a single card in the credit steps program. It was a 300 limit. About 3 or so months later after trying to get an increas that was denied I applied for a second one (as I read on here) and it was approved for 500, also in the credit steps program! I made payments regularly and the 300 was increased to I think 800. The 500 one was constantly denied because of a gliche with my auto pay (on my banks side) and it paid it a day or so late. In the mean time, I acquired other cards, a Barclay that started with a 1k limit, later increased to 2.7, discover, target, citi, walmart (initial 500 that same day increased to 5k) and JCP (initial 1000 that same day increased to 5k). I always paid regularly still no increases.

I ended up writing an email to the EO. There was a review and one was increased to 1500 and the other to 2000. If you do your research, Credit Step cards are not designed to grow with you. They are "starter" cards. You may get lucky and get multiple increases but its not the norm. I later applied for a Venture and was approved for 10k (mind you, neither of the limits on the other cards ever increased). I applied for Venture One and got 3k. I used the prequal tool both times and in my experience its been pretty accurate!

I say all of that to say this. Those STARTER cards really helped me and I went from not being able to get a card at all to having some 50k in available credit! And Again, I can't stress it enough! Credit steps cards are not designed to grow with you as other cards are!

Message 42 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

After 6 months, mine increased from 300 to 3300 automatically. After 12 months, I did not see an increase so I pressed the love button and it gave me 2000 more so now it is 5300 after a year. Not bad.

Message 43 of 44
p-
Valued Contributor

skum1 wrote: After 6 months, mine increased from 300 to 3300 automatically. After 12 months, I did not see an increase so I pressed the love button and it gave me 2000 more so now it is 5300 after a year. Not bad.

Kepp hitting the button every six months.  And once you are over ten k, ask to be converted to a World card or Sig card.  My 16.5 WMC was a rebuilder.

Message 44 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.