Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred Recon Line-Approval

tag
HHH71
New Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred Recon Line-Approval

Hi, Wanted to add an experience with Chase Recon line. First, I'll list some DP for context. I realize without the DP's, the information isn't very useful.
Average Age: 3 yr 9 mo
Oldest Account: 13 years
# of Accounts: 10
Last 24 mo. Cards: 3/24, that includes approved for Chase FU October 15th with CL of $10,500.
Fico: Exp. 703, Trans. 701, Equi. 698
Annual Income: $275,000
Utlization; Was around 9%. I pay in full every month all cards, but I put about $10,000 a month on credit cards and some spend reported.
Credit History; One Late Payment 2016; was traveling and forgot a Wells Fargo Car paymment (30 day).
Sued by a Dentist in 2010 for $2,000. Ended up not taking seriously and didn't show up for court. Dumb; had to pay it anyway. I guess customer satisfaction doesn't play here. However, reports as public record.
So, I was interested in the Chase Travel Benefits, mostly primary rental car insurance. I earned over 400,000 Hilton Honor points this year with my American Express Hilton Surpass card and will continue to use that for hotels. I was also thinking flights. I had 190 flights this year (2019). That is segments.
So, I apped and got an instant decline. I was a littel puzzled and looked up the recon number. The next day I called the recon line and spoke with a rep. I asked him if he could give me some insight on why I was declined. He said sure, and that he would take a look and get back on the phone. When he came back he listed 4 things including too many credit inquiries, derogetory public record, and I can't remember the other two (this was December 22nd 2019). He asked me if that made sense. I said frankly no. Makes no sense. I have harldy any inquiries and the last one was your company about 67 days ago, which was approved. And the public record was a dentist who sued me in 2010. 
He then said that I would get a letter in the mail formally outlining this information. He then said can I help you in any other way. 
At this point, I was trying to figure out where the recon came in. He wasn't offering. So I said this.
"The reason I am looking into this is I have spent about $15,000 in the last 90 days with American Express and I heard that the Chase ecosystem is good for travelers. I was hoping to give it a try and move more spending towards chase." He said oh, and then nothing else.
So, I was still trying to figure out what was I missing. So I said this.
"Is is possible for you to take a closer look at my application?"
To this he quickly replied with this.
"Sure, so to be clear sir. You are asking me to take a closer look at your application to see if there is something I can do to reverse this decision?"
I said yes; and then he said.
"Ok, please verify income for me and housing payment." After that he said, "Ok Mr. xxxxxx, I will go ahead and take a closer look at your situation and come back every three minutes to report back to you. It make take a few times before I have an answer."
I thanked him for his time and help. He came back on in 3 min and asked if he could have 3 more? I again said of course, take your time and thank you for you help. He can back on 3 minutes later and said, "Congratualations, you have been approved and can expect your new card in the mail in 1-2 weeks." The CL was low, the minimum ($5,000), but I am glad to start using to see how I like it.
It was clear he was looking for something very specific from me to trigger the next step. I don't know if it's legal or company policy. I didn't research this and don't know how documented this is. But I thought I would tell my story if it helps someone else. 
I didn't use credit for 15 years (I thought credit cards were bad); actually me dumb. So I believe this was mostly just getting into the credit card game the last few years and having a new CFU. This year I believe my cash back, travel points, etc. will give me close to $5,000 of value on money I was spending anyway. 
Grateful for all the informed people on this site along with YouTube to help me re think I viewed credit cards.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Recon Line-Approval

Congrats on the approval!!

Message 2 of 13
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS @HHH71 on your Chase approvel, the AWESOME Recon, Thanks for the DPs, and Welcome to the FORUMS!!! 

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HHH71 Congrats, but you never mentioned what you were actually approved for.  Was it Chase Sapphire Preferred card?

Also, the credit bureaus stopped reporting civil judgements and tax liens in January 2018.  You should be able to file disputes with the credit bureaus to have that judgement removed although it should have been done by default.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your successful recon! Was this a CSP? I ask because that’s the minimum starting line $5000.

Sued by a dentist? That’s something I never heard of before. Get that sh*t off your report man. Congrats again on your approval
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HHH71 wrote:

Hi, Wanted to add an experience with Chase Recon line ... I realize without the DP's, the information isn't very useful ...

Your post is loaded with useful details -- thank you. Many members will surely benefit from your efforts in the months/years to come.

And Congrats! on your recon approval. Nicely done.

Message 6 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 7 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred Recon Line-Approval

Congrats on your CSP recon approval!

Message 8 of 13
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Quite the story! I've always been curious as to what happens in some recon calls. Congrats! 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations !
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.