Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi approval.. mystery?

tag
Arcreactors
Valued Member

Citi approval.. mystery?

So, quick backstory. I wanted in with Citi but have never been able to get any pre approved offers. On a whim 8 days ago I applied for the simplicity card thinking it would be easier to get and to my surprise was approved with a $500 SL. Low SL but I thought nice, I'm in..!  I'll take it. Once I got the card and had it setup in the app I hit the request increase button with no luck. 

Fast forward to today. I figured what the heck and applied for the custom cash card. app went under review, they called me within the hour and another approval. This time for $4300. Nothing has changed on my report between now and 8 days ago.

Mystery Question- why only the $500 on simplicity and no CLI.. but they give another approval for $4300 on custom cash. Also, does citi allow product changes if I wanted to do so later on?

Credit Cards

Store Cards

Last App: May 9, 2022 | Last HP: May 9, 2022 | Gardening since: May 9, 2022 | Last updated: May 15, 2022
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DakotaM
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi approval.. mystery?

I can only assume they like you more now than 8 days ago 😊.  Really most issuers are mysteries with how they decide on their starting limits.  Citi does allow product changes and I think you can change among all their cards pretty easily.  I only have one card with them though, so I don't have any personal experience doing so.

Workers-Credit-UnionWorkers-Credit-Union

Message 2 of 14
Elpadrino1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on both of your Citi approvals!!

Message 3 of 14
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!!  Congratulations on your Citi Approvals!! 🎉🥂👏

Message 4 of 14
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

That was a quick turnaround. With the exception of Chase, with their whole 5/24 thing, I've found that once a bank feels like they "know" you, they're more likely to approve additional cards. I have had that experience that with Discover, WF, BofA and Amex. However, in those cases, I did have months or a year or more of history with them before shooting for other cards. It is a mystery. Congratulations, by all means!

AU

Message 5 of 14
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approvals!

Message 6 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on the approvals. 

Depending upon the card you want to change from, he card you want to change to, and in some cases how long you have held the current card Citi will permit a product change.   The Custom Cash for example has been a popular card to convert to. 

However, Citi has traditionally not allowed any product changes from a Simplicity to any other card.   I'm not aware of any recent changes to that specific policy, but hopefully someone can chime in if they have in fact relaxed that rule. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Each card has different underwriting requirements, I think on the second approval the requirements for that card were not as stringent. Grats on both Citi approvals Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
Danmae777
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on your new approval, nice. 

starting fico 8 score 04/2021-EX-618
current fico 8 score 04/2022 -EX 657
Message 9 of 14
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Citi Simplicity Card and your Citi Custom Cash Card approvals . . . It's a good mystery with two approvals!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.