cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congratulations and Repetitive Posts (Thread Bombing)

tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Congratulations and Thread Bombing

@pizza1 wrote:
Im not sure how I feel about this...

People are not gonna want to post now for fear they will be "bombing". I for one will sometimes get on a kick and throw out a ton of Congrats, good jobs, awesome, whatever...because Im just feeling overly excited at that time, and excited for posters approvals, but I also post all over the forums as well.

I in turn, whenever I post in the approval section, get equally excited seeing all my congrats in my threads. Makes me feel like people like what they are seeing, and like me as a poster as well.

Whats the point in posting a CLI, or new CC approval now if people can congratulate you!

now..the part I do agree with is the meaningless congrats 100x all the way down the approvals section. Ive seen a few posters do that, and have no other contribution other than that...Ive not see that poster in the CC section, or anywhere else either on the forums.

For the record...People...Its ok to post congrats on my threads! LOL Smiley Happy

No one has suggested that we stop saying "congrats".   No one is saying not to congratulate a lot of people.   But even a simple response like "Congrats on your 3X CLI" in a thread is more meaningful than "congrats thanks for sharing" across 60 threads.   It says that you've acknowledged a specific accomplishment.  We should truly support our fellow members, and being specific is a very easy way to do it.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 61 of 70
elim
Senior Contributor

Sometimes people... That's just the way life is (in other words "who really cares").  Moving on.

Message 62 of 70
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

I guess, by and large, I don't see why people have to post every single approval and/or CLI that  they recieve. Ok, if you're rebuilding and just got your first card or something, I get it.

But for people who already have 10 or 20+ cards, do you really need to create a new thread about your $500 CLI on one of them, or your approval for another card? I mean, what can anyone really say other than "congrats"? You aren't rebuilding, it's not as much of an "achievement" anymore. I don't say this to be rude; it's a reason I don't make threads for my CLIs or such. I just feel it's kind of pointless.

I just feel like the threads are kind of limited in the type of response you can get. I understand not wanting blanket congrats but for most cases, what is there to really say? If there are unusual circumstances surrounding the approval that might help others as a reference point, I get it, but making a new thread for every small increase or card just lends itself to spam congrats unfortunately.

I made a post about a $500 CLI on my Discover not all too long ago, but mainly as a data point (I had been carrying a balance on the card of ~30% UTIL).   I can't really say I was thrilled over it, but it is good to show how different factors can affect CLIs.  

Odd enough, a $500 CLI started my journey to myFICO.   Back in 2013, my JCP card went from $250 to $750 using the LUV button and I was thrilled about that!   I wanted to find out how to make that happen again, so I found this site.   And I took my scores from ~610 back then to ~780 today.   

BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 63 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Congratulations and Repetitive Posts (Thread Bombing)

Wonderful, hit post instead of the next page.....

Still reading and getting caught up!
Message 64 of 70
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Sorry Super Al, i understand your motives for how you post sometimes. I definitly do see how sometimes it seems that there are random congrats from many of us here whereas you dont want to leave anyone out. No skin off my back, i actually enjoy seeing your responses but also understand others feelings on what may look like a generic post. To each their own, but we should never feel as if we cant congratulate someone even if its only by saying congrats. Maybe just add a different word of encouragement. Ive enjoyed reading everyones take on this subject. As an aside, maybe is best to lock this thread or we may end up surpassing the CU's mega thread.Smiley Happy Hope no offense taken by my post just wanted to say i can view both sides of the fence. Great night everybodySmiley Happy

I will lock the thread from further comment tonight sometime after midnight Pacific time.   I wanted to keep this topic open briefly so that members could provide feedback, ask questions, and hopefully come away with good conclusions.   It's valuable to understand perspective and the members who've posted have overall done a great job of doing exactly that.  

Message 65 of 70
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I guess, by and large, I don't see why people have to post every single approval and/or CLI that  they recieve. Ok, if you're rebuilding and just got your first card or something, I get it.

But for people who already have 10 or 20+ cards, do you really need to create a new thread about your $500 CLI on one of them, or your approval for another card? I mean, what can anyone really say other than "congrats"? You aren't rebuilding, it's not as much of an "achievement" anymore. I don't say this to be rude; it's a reason I don't make threads for my CLIs or such. I just feel it's kind of pointless.

I just feel like the threads are kind of limited in the type of response you can get. I understand not wanting blanket congrats but for most cases, what is there to really say? If there are unusual circumstances surrounding the approval that might help others as a reference point, I get it, but making a new thread for every small increase or card just lends itself to spam congrats unfortunately.

I made a post about a $500 CLI on my Discover not all too long ago, but mainly as a data point (I had been carrying a balance on the card of ~30% UTIL).   I can't really say I was thrilled over it, but it is good to show how different factors can affect CLIs.  

Odd enough, a $500 CLI started my journey to myFICO.   Back in 2013, my JCP card went from $250 to $750 using the LUV button and I was thrilled about that!   I wanted to find out how to make that happen again, so I found this site.   And I took my scores from ~610 back then to ~780 today.   

And I think that's fine -- threads about CLIs that have some sort of data point attached (carrying a balance etc).

It's when we see threads that seem like the OP just wants an ego boost that it becomes repetitive.

Message 66 of 70
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Finally a thread where someone says enough is enough with generic comments. I always wondered why people say that and move on. If I find that I can't contribute I try not to say anything in the thread, if we don't get congrats on approval on every single "I got CLI, I got approved" it may stop polluting actual data.

May be if this forums supports all the approvals should actually be a part of data mining section so people can search and see what happened when someone tried a CLI or applied for a card when their score was such and such.

Message 67 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wasn't just saying congrats. That picture a couple pages ago featuring the same user all the way down, that said it all for me.

pizza, you have shown us all kinds of info for others on your struggles, your wins and your losses. if you just sit back on autopilot and do congrats to everyone nothing else from now on, you still have been an asset. As one of the most hardcore cynics out there, I'm actually enjoying these whiny threads.
Message 68 of 70
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ddemari wrote:

I spend a lot of time in the credit approval sections, I usually say a bit more than congrats if I want to commend a poster. Although, I do throw out some congrats here and there, usually I like to give a little more to the poster than just a high five but it happens from time to time. 

I don't think anyone should be afraid to post a congrats in moderation in line with the terms and conditions of the site. It’s more so saying congrats to every single poster over and over again, without any other kind of substance to your post. I think that if members new and old use their better judgment, you should have nothing to worry about with thread bombing. But if your comments are posted with the intention of destroying/killing the thread for everyone and the original poster along with unrelated comments, media etc. then you are thread bombing. 

Sorry to be redundant, but I wouldn't be afraid to post on here in the approvals section... just use your judgment and you will be fine. 

+1   I agree completely... just use common sense!  Smiley Happy

I tend to limit the approval threads that I post on to people I have had conversation with before or people who give a bit of information in their OP, in either case the post is truly appreciated by me and giving a 'kudos' or a quick 'Awesome CLI!' is usually my style. 

As much as I would like to read each and every one, I honestly don't have the time and I routinely miss even the threads of people I chat with (sorry about that!) but I do the best I can.  Sometimes if I'm in a hurry, this might be a simple one-word 'Congrats!' and that's OK too. (Again, common sense...)

I'll also add when it comes to my own threads in 'Approvals' I try to give as much information as possible (sometimes too much?) but I want to include all the details I can, since historically my specifics haven't been the 'norm'. 

That being said, I put thought into the threads I start, and if somebody posts a comment in my thread, I'm probably going to reply to them (thanks, etc.).  I understand that's not for everybody - and that's OK - but it's easy-peasy to unsubscribe to a thread if the updates become too much.  (If you don't know how, feel free to PM me.)

Message 69 of 70
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is now closed from further comment,  Please feel free to PM me or any other Mod if you have questions or concerns.   Thank you very much for respectful feedback from diverse points of view.   This is what makes this a great Forum!

Message 70 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.