Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Approval for DBF and other questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It Approval for DBF and other questions

@HeavenOhio wrote:

The Snap-On loan worked at the time because your guy had no credit, and it's likely helped him get the nice cards that he's getting now. But if I remember correctly, the terms weren't that great. A BT at this time makes perfect sense as it'll save him a significant chunk of change.

Even when closed, the loan will still help thicken his history, but it'll no longer help his score. That's why I suggested the SSL if he has no other loans. That'll keep his points intact.

yes it was at 21% and of course the discover is 0%.. i dont know anything about the SSL thing ill have to read up on it.. i dont want to get into something we cant pay

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

just to follow up.. had him check with chat.. after his 0% intro period his apr will be 17.99!! im pretty sure mine will be way higher than that.. just sayin 😂
Message 12 of 18
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Congrats to your DBF! Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just saw this Sasha. Congrats to your DBF. Seems like your doing a great job getting him on track. Keep up the good work. Keep the Cap1 card.
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just saw this Sasha. Congrats to your DBF. Seems like your doing a great job getting him on track. Keep up the good work. Keep the Cap1 card.

thank you so much donny!  yes we def will!

Message 15 of 18
fdrfan54
Frequent Contributor

Congrats Sasha. Happy for you.

Newegg Card $1200| Amazon Card $1000| Walmart Card $1100| Discover IT Card $1500 Current Fico score is 672 currently Gardening for the time being. Been a member of the Garden since 11-21-17 Planning to stay until Mid-2019.
Message 16 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i dont know anything about the SSL thing ill have to read up on it.. i dont want to get into something we cant pay

The first three posts of the SSL thread contain the important details. After that, I'd read the last few pages to see what's going on currently, and use that topic to ask any questions that you might have.

The summarized version is that you pay $10 to join Alliant Credit Union, open a $500 savings account, and use the savings account to back a five-year $500 loan. At that point, Alliant lends you $500, and you can put the money back where it came from. Then you use the savings account to make two payments to bring your balance down to $44. The thread will tell you how and when to make those payments. Part of it involves canceling auto-pay between those payments. After that, you spend the rest of the five years paying off the $44. I think the suggestion is to make a small payment every six months to keep the savings account and loan active, but I can't be sure of that.

The part that you'd have to "afford" is to be able part with $500 for maybe a couple of weeks while everything's being set up. Otherwise, you're permanently parting with $10 to join the credit union and about $9 in interest. You'd be paying off $44 over the course of five years.

As a bonus, I hear that this is a very nice savings account with decent interest. You might want to use it for that purpose in addition to using it to fund your BF's loan.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
i dont know anything about the SSL thing ill have to read up on it.. i dont want to get into something we cant pay

The first three posts of the SSL thread contain the important details. After that, I'd read the last few pages to see what's going on currently, and use that topic to ask any questions that you might have.

The summarized version is that you pay $10 to join Alliant Credit Union, open a $500 savings account, and use the savings account to back a five-year $500 loan. At that point, Alliant lends you $500, and you can put the money back where it came from. Then you use the savings account to make two payments to bring your balance down to $44. The thread will tell you how and when to make those payments. Part of it involves canceling auto-pay between those payments. After that, you spend the rest of the five years paying off the $44. I think the suggestion is to make a small payment every six months to keep the savings account and loan active, but I can't be sure of that.

The part that you'd have to "afford" is to be able part with $500 for maybe a couple of weeks while everything's being set up. Otherwise, you're permanently parting with $10 to join the credit union and about $9 in interest. You'd be paying off $44 over the course of five years.

As a bonus, I hear that this is a very nice savings account with decent interest. You might want to use it for that purpose in addition to using it to fund your BF's loan.

thank you for the info ! 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.