Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover approval and the tax return request

tag
CaptinVantage
Established Member

Discover approval and the tax return request

Long time lurker but wanted to share an experience for others . 

I recently applied for a discover it miles card and was approved for 6k . 2 days later I got the request to pull my taxes . I find this to be a ridiculous request from a credit card company but I knew it was a possibility because of others experiences. So I chalked my losses and said whatever close the card . But I sent the executive customer service an email explaining I would not be consenting to them accessing my taxes but I would like the HP removed because as far as I could find when I applied nothing said they could request that access and stated that if they were uncomfortable approving me they should have denied me based on the credit report the pulled that had a score of 734 and all the info they needed . I also stated that I understood not complying with this request means discover and I can't do business based on the request. Which is fine I have plenty of other cards . So a gentleman then emailed me back said he would investigate and get back to me . Well no ever did get back to me but it had been a couple weeks well past the 5 days to consent to the tax request , but no closure . So last night an email comes that discover had finished their review and my account was no longer being blocked and my card was ready to use . I don't know if this is typical or I was just something that made it through the cracks but if you refuse to allow a bank to have access to your taxes for a trivial reason I guess it is at least possible to not and still come out a head . Just sharing for anyone who might have the same issue . Ymmv

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Janneman
Established Contributor

Re: Discover approval and the tax return request

@CaptinVantage 

Many people chose not to allow Discover their tax returns, and everyone's account got closed down...so, ur case is an exception. As for hp on credit report den credit report is not the only reason to get approved or denied, rather its a combination of many factors. Lenders reserves the right to ask verification of any info provided on the application, not only at the time of applying for the credit, rather at any time. If u did apply for the credit den credit inquiry was legal and valid. However, there are other fancy ways to remove them though ...

Message 2 of 17
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Glad it worked out...WooHoo!! Congratulations on your Discover Approval!!👏🏼🍾🥂

Message 3 of 17
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Discover approval

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

CaptinVantage

Like your style!

Good to hear people speak out on issues they feel need further consideration!

Grat's! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 17
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your DiscoverIt Miles card approval.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 6 of 17
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

👌 Congrats to you!
Message 7 of 17
NalekSok
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! 🎉

Message 8 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Discover approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 9 of 17
arifjk
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on standing up to them. Cheers to your bravery!

AVEN Visa $80k; BCU LOC $50k; PSECU LOC: $20K; Langley FCU LOC $10K; CuSoCal LOC $25k; BECU LOC: 15k; Apple FCU LOC $20k

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.