Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First CC post CH7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First CC post CH7

Last night after being denied for a DiscoverIt card, I ended up doing some digging around and applied for a First Premier Bank Credit Card. I was approved with a $500 limit.

I know the fees are a bit high but I burned Cap1 in my BK and Credit One's pre-qualify tool isnt pulling any offers for me. Figured I could use the first premier card for a few months and keep it under 30% and in good standing and it should help my credit grow so that I can grow into some better cards....I hope this works!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Maxi11510
Contributor

Re: First CC post CH7

Welcome,

I too had a horrible credit profile due to an automobile accident and lost everything. I cound not get a credit card whether it was secured or not so I too went with the only company that would extend me any form of credit. I kept my balance low and paid on time. Then after getting a few store cards via the shopping cart trick my credit profile improved slowly. 14 months later I have a Discover Card, Chase Freedom and a Barclaycard with apple rewards. Although First Premier is one of the worst cards out there it's a start and in time with patience you too will graduate to the cards you want. Hand in there.

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Maxi11510 wrote:

Welcome,

I too had a horrible credit profile due to an automobile accident and lost everything. I cound not get a credit card whether it was secured or not so I too went with the only company that would extend me any form of credit. I kept my balance low and paid on time. Then after getting a few store cards via the shopping cart trick my credit profile improved slowly. 14 months later I have a Discover Card, Chase Freedom and a Barclaycard with apple rewards. Although First Premier is one of the worst cards out there it's a start and in time with patience you too will graduate to the cards you want. Hand in there.

thank you very much!

I did read its a pretty bad card to have but it seems like nobody else would budge for me, so I had to get in the game somehow.

I know 30% of 500 is $150 but I plan to keep it at about 60 bucks per month and pay it as soon as the statement comes in the mail if not before. Once I can get better cards I plan to cancel that one (unless that will hurt me, im not sure)

Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Maxi11510 wrote:

Welcome,

Then after getting a few store cards via the shopping cart trick my credit profile improved slowly.

which store cards were you able to get? IDK what I'm doing wrong but I cant seem to get anything other than what I have already

Message 4 of 27
Maxi11510
Contributor

After about 6 months I was able to get a Victoria Secrets card, An Express store card and an Ann Taylor card as I shop with them maybe twice a year just to keep the cards from closing. Once your score goes up canceling your First Premier card will damage your score as it will reduce your available credit line. 

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok guess i'm stuck with it then....I wish I could get a VS card to shop for the wife or an express card but I can never get the SCT to work with those

Message 6 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Just as soon as you see your scores come even close to 600, Barclay will give you a card and Cap1 will let you back in and you can cancel this First Premier.

Message 7 of 27
Maxi11510
Contributor

I didn't either the first few times, however I kept trying every few months until they approved me. It s a slow process, but I bet within the next 8 months you will get approved. Have you thought about also getting a secured card? Open Sky from Capital Bank is a easy approval and their rate is about 17% a far cry from First Premier and they do not report as a secured card. I have one because Capital One would not approve me for even a secured card either. 

Message 8 of 27
Maxi11510
Contributor

Also try Credit One Bank. Their website allows you to see if youncheck and see if you pre-qualify without affecting your credit score. 

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

Just as soon as you see your scores come even close to 600, Barclay will give you a card and Cap1 will let you back in and you can cancel this First Premier.

without hurting my score?

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.