Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the Navy! (NFCU Flagship that is.)

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

In the Navy! (NFCU Flagship that is.)

The 32-hour wait after applying was a little longer than I am usually comfortable with, but it was worth it!

Congratulations! Based on your creditworthiness, you have been approved for a Signature Flagship Visa credit card. Your new credit line will be $24,000.00. Your APR will be 10.49%. Expect your credit card within 5-7 business days for regular mail delivery; expedited shipping times vary based on location.

I am so happy and very thankful to the community here, otherwise I would not even be a member of NFCU (or honestly ever considered them).  Sure, I would have been happier with an even larger starting line but I know that in time it will get there as I pay off my balances, and at least Navy is starting off on the right foot by giving me their lowest APR for this card.  I see a lifelong relationship with both Navy and PenFed, both of whom I discovered from the myFICO community - thanks to all of you again.

Data points and application process are in this thread.  Now I can start further planning of the great credit card merging and closure of 2017/18!

15 REPLIES 15
peghede
Valued Contributor

Re: In the Navy! (NFCU Flagship that is.)

Nice approval m8 ,good sl and sexy apr,wish they will give fixed apr like few other cu.but hey they have the cash and they like to give it out right now ,unlike banks....

Message 2 of 16
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Congrats! I've been following your app process and wondered if you would get an answer before Monday.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 16
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the Flagship approval
Message 4 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

K, this is amazingSmiley Happy. Im super happy for you. At least we know they started you off right and im sure in no time they will become your bread and butterSmiley Happy. Dont know why but when i first read your post, the Village People singin came to mind lolSmiley Wink. Smooth sailingSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 16
iowe
Regular Contributor

i'll be doing the same thing this year closing some cards. Gonna be tough to take that temporary score dip, but I think in the long run it's better to have 2-3 useful high limit cards rather than 7 lower-mid limit cards where half don't see any use

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations, K! I'm so happy you got approved for a nice SL! And just want to thank you for detailing your application process on here, and for cross-linking your threads. It is very helpful to us future NFCU card applicants. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@peghede wrote:

...good sl and sexy apr,wish they will give fixed apr like few other cu....

That would indeed be great, but at least with 10.x% I'd be paying less than 1% interest if I needed to float a balance for a month. I assume if I had taken the Platinum card, it would have been 8.49%, which is now actually lower than my wife's Barclay Ring with all of the increases in the Prime Rate. (A card I would have considered for myself, but I never got a prequalified notice for it until after they changed it to 13.x% with the 0% intro.)

@medicgrrl wrote:
Congrats! I've been following your app process and wondered if you would get an answer before Monday.

I was wondering that myself. Great to know that they do really work around the clock. After the talk with the CSR I was not expecting an approval that quickly.

@Aduke1122 wrote:

Thanks!

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
...At least we know they started you off right and im sure in no time they will become your bread and butterSmiley Happy. Dont know why but when i first read your post, the Village People singin came to mind lolSmiley Wink...

That was intentional, as it was stuck in my head for some reason when I got the approval. Guess I can't petition them to change names to Army FCU? With the CC being my priority, I forgot to even mention with my impatience that since the EveryDay checking is free, I took them up on it along with the $15,000 NavCheck CLOC - may as well pad the util another 0.375% or so and it didn't actually result in a 3rd pull. I love the fact that it's a quick click of a button to change that to Flagship Checking, so I can earn if I decide to move some or all of my checking away from BOA. Crazy that their dividends are 0.35-0.45% with no fee (min. $1500 avg daily) compared to BOA's $25/mo fee for 0.01% haha.

@iowe wrote:
i'll be doing the same thing this year closing some cards. Gonna be tough to take that temporary score dip, but I think in the long run it's better to have 2-3 useful high limit cards rather than 7 lower-mid limit cards where half don't see any use

Agreed. The extra $39k total they gave me does help pad things a bit but with my balances and total credit lines, some people may be amazed at how little that actually affects utilization. I have everything I want/need at the moment, so no huge rush to hit that magic 9% util. It's going to be a slow continuous paydown ($20k or so a year), over the next few years.

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations, K! I'm so happy you got approved for a nice SL! And just want to thank you for detailing your application process on here, and for cross-linking your threads. It is very helpful to us future NFCU card applicants. Smiley Happy

Thank you. This forum has been such a help to me, I'm trying to give as much information as possible to help others when I can. I hope to see your approval post soon!

Message 8 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nice going on getting the cloc and checking too. I too got the free checking even though im not using it yet. Job well done!!

I wonder if it was Army FCU would we be humming Green AcresSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@peghede wrote:

...good sl and sexy apr,wish they will give fixed apr like few other cu....

That would indeed be great, but at least with 10.x% I'd be paying less than 1% interest if I needed to float a balance for a month. I assume if I had taken the Platinum card, it would have been 8.49%, which is now actually lower than my wife's Barclay Ring with all of the increases in the Prime Rate. (A card I would have considered for myself, but I never got a prequalified notice for it until after they changed it to 13.x% with the 0% intro.)

@medicgrrl wrote:

I was wondering that myself. Great to know that they do really work around the clock. After the talk with the CSR I was not expecting an approval that quickly.

@Aduke1122 wrote:

Thanks!

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
...At least we know they started you off right and im sure in no time they will become your bread and butterSmiley Happy. Dont know why but when i first read your post, the Village People singin came to mind lolSmiley Wink...

That was intentional, as it was stuck in my head for some reason when I got the approval. Guess I can't petition them to change names to Army FCU? With the CC being my priority, I forgot to even mention with my impatience that since the EveryDay checking is free, I took them up on it along with the $15,000 NavCheck CLOC - may as well pad the util another 0.375% or so and it didn't actually result in a 3rd pull. I love the fact that it's a quick click of a button to change that to Flagship Checking, so I can earn if I decide to move some or all of my checking away from BOA. Crazy that their dividends are 0.35-0.45% with no fee (min. $1500 avg daily) compared to BOA's $25/mo fee for 0.01% haha.

@iowe wrote:

Agreed. The extra $39k total they gave me does help pad things a bit but with my balances and total credit lines, some people may be amazed at how little that actually affects utilization. I have everything I want/need at the moment, so no huge rush to hit that magic 9% util. It's going to be a slow continuous paydown ($20k or so a year), over the next few years.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you. This forum has been such a help to me, I'm trying to give as much information as possible to help others when I can. I hope to see your approval post soon!

That's awesome, and it is definitely appreciated! It will be quite a while before I app. I joined NFCU last month just to get my foot in the door, but I am firmly planted in the garden right now. I need to let my tradelines age a little and hopefully get my scores up in the 700's! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.