Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CLI - Data points!

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

NFCU CLI - Data points!

Hello friends!

I've received a CLI on my NFCU Platinum MasterCard, and while that in itself isn't too extraordinary I do have a few data points that might be useful to some others in the community, so I'm sharing here.

I opened my NFCU Platinum MasterCard last November... at the time my EQ was 710-ish and I had an old paid CO, and they approved me for $15.3k at 10.99% (since changed to 11.24% due to the Fed increase).  My income is modest compared to many on here, so I felt this was extremely generous, and I never felt the need/desire to try for a CLI... until now.

When the latest AR hit I "got the bug" and wondered if I might get a little bit more... I was hoping for a nice, even $20k to match my Sam's Club MC and Lowe's, currently my two largest credit lines.  I waited until Sunday (9/11) to make sure the AR had actually taken place, and I decided to use the "Maximum Amount" button rather than request a specific amount... I've read of others having good luck with that.

My request immediately went to review.  Smiley Indifferent

I did some research on here, and since by Monday evening I didn't see any change I knew that likely meant I had been denied.  That wouldn't have been a total shock, since I've added a handful of accounts back in May (when my reports became 'clean') and I've not had too many swipes on my NFCU card... most of the usage it's seen has been from balance transfers.

I was pleasantly surprised Tuesday to log in and see that my credit line has been increased to $20k - exactly what I was hoping for!  Smiley Very Happy

I'm still not sure what prompted my request to go to manual review; at first I thought it might have been since I used the 'Maximum Amount' button, but others have reported immediate increases when using that so it's doubtful it made a difference.  When I got my card back in November it was instantly approved and my score was lower and utilization higher than it is now, so I'm at a loss. 

Even though I'm fairly sure it was a HP (edit:  it was a HP), to go from $15.3k to $20k was worth it to me.  I'm writing here as a reminder to everyone that even if an AR has just taken place and you've never requested a CLI before (or it's been a while since your last CLI) there's no guarantee they won't do a HP.  Also, while usually when a manual review is done they make a decision quickly, they can take a couple of days (at least they did for me).

(For the sake of completeness, my current EQ is 743 - the lowest of all the bureaus - and I have no baddies.)

Hopefully someone in the community will find this info useful!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFCU CLI - Data points!

Congrats on CLI...and thanks for the excellent information!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 25
Grafton88
Established Contributor

I find data points like this interesting.  Here is my case with NFCU.

March 2015 got Secured NRewards card.

April 2016 they unsecured it.  I asked for and received instant CLI to $5K with a SP.

June 2016 PC to GoRewards card.

July 2016 after AR got instant CLI to $15K.  Still had a Public Record on EQ.

Sep 2016 hit the Max button got instant CLI to $17.5.  Report was clean.  EQ score was 741.

I plan to let it sit at that CL for a year and then ask for an APR decrease.

Message 3 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your CLI approval UncleB!  Let us know if you get hit with a HP and if so what CR it is on... I like round numbers Smiley Happy. Mine at 23,700 is driving me bonkers the OCD in me..  Couldn't they done 20k or 25k.. When I request it will be for a modest 1300 to make it 25k to satisfy my OCD in me.

Message 4 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Congrats on CLI...and thanks for the excellent information!

Thanks SE!

I was afraid mentioning this would come across as 'obnoxious' since NFCU CLIs are pretty common here, but I felt the specifics of my CLI justified the thread.  I'm hoping somebody might find the details useful.

Thanks again!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Grafton88 wrote:

I find data points like this interesting.  Here is my case with NFCU.

March 2015 got Secured NRewards card.

April 2016 they unsecured it.  I asked for and received instant CLI to $5K with a SP.

June 2016 PC to GoRewards card.

July 2016 after AR got instant CLI to $15K.  Still had a Public Record on EQ.

Sep 2016 hit the Max button got instant CLI to $17.5.  Report was clean.  EQ score was 741.

I plan to let it sit at that CL for a year and then ask for an APR decrease.

Thanks for sharing, Grafton!  Smiley Very Happy

I'm planning on sending them a message in November for a APR reduction as well... fingers crossed!  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Congrats on your CLI approval UncleB!  Let us know if you get hit with a HP and if so what CR it is on... I like round numbers Smiley Happy. Mine at 23,700 is driving me bonkers the OCD in me..  Couldn't they done 20k or 25k.. When I request it will be for a modest 1300 to make it 25k to satisfy my OCD in me.

Thanks CC!  Smiley Very Happy

I feel the same way about nice round numbers... I guess I'm OCD as well!  LOL

I'll come back and share as soon as I find out if it's an HP, but I'll be surprised if it isn't.  I know some folks will call and try to cancel the request if it goes to review, but I didn't call... there's no mortgage or auto on the radar, so it's not the end of the world. 

Ironically had this request not gone to review (my first (likely) HP since May) I woudn't have bothered with the Chase IHG app, which turned out well.  (My attitude on Sunday night was, "In for a penny, in for a pound...")  I guess everything happens for a reason!

Good luck with your own increase to $25k... I don't think you'll have any problems at all!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

GREAT info Uncle B, thank you for sharing and congrats on your CLI Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 25
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Nice Congrats and thank for the info. 

IMG_1127.JPG

Message 9 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Well done UncleB!! Smiley Happy. Thats one Sunday for books huh?Smiley Happy. Thanks for taking the time to post your success story. Even if it wasnt successful, always good to feed the fico machine haha lolSmiley Happy . This one should really make you want to do your happy dance in that at least there shouldnt be too much peeking over ones shoulder like many are experiencing with Synchrony accounts.GO NAVY!!.

I teally am thinking of just joining now the Navy League of SanDiego so i can at least get my membership. Who knows how long that door may remain open. It would be interesting to say the least to see if they would give me a card worth more than $500 like Penfed did but alas thats another ballgameSmiley Wink

Im sure someone will read your story here and make a successful request as well. Thats one of the many things i love about this forum is that sometimes its that one post thats sparks ones courage just a little bit more to app for something you otherwise not felt you could get. ( of course it can be double edged sword tooSmiley Wink ). Congrats again, now go enjoy your garden some moreSmiley Happy.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.