Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU shock and awe

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU shock and awe

May 1st of this year I really started to care and grow my credit profile. A thin profile and some careless mistakes made me a subprime borrower. I wouldn't call it a rebuild since I don't know of a time were I had great credit. If I did, I never took notice. My loan rates were okay and my one emergency credit card was all I needed. 

Flash forward to yesterday. I have my local FCU card ($2,000), Discover secured ($1000), Cap 1 QS1 ($800), Cap 1 QS (Platinum converted $800). Last three cards were all opened in May of this year. 

Like many hear, I had decided to join NFCU as part of my build plan. Joined with them a month or so ago. Tossed some money in both the checking and savings and let the account sit while I raised scores a little higher - I had some active disputes. A week after opening the account, I received an email invite code for cashRewards card. I ignored it because I wasn't ready. I did the same with the postcard they sent me a week later.

Yesterday my disputes were complete so I went to the local branch and asked if my invite code was still good and they said it should be. I said alright and asked if I get approved and the card is under $5000 if I get a CLI later will it convert to a VISA signature and they said it would. That was all I needed to know so I said okay lets move forward with the application.

Instant approval!! I was kind of shocked. Sure I had an invite code, but I still thought I might be denied. Then came more shock when she told me the APR 9.9% which is the lowest! but.... she couldn't tell me the SL. She said I would get a message from them online later. I was kind of bummed but thought oh well. With that APR maybe I'll get lucky and it will be $5000 and I could get the VISA signature. 

Well I had to go to work, but when I got home I checked my email from them and had a message. Logged in and confirmed the APR was 9.9%!! Then came the awe... my starting limit.... $23,700.00... I had to pick my jaw up on that once. 

I wanted to share this long story to give hope to those in similar situations... and maybe gloat a little but cmon that is insane compared to the rest of my revolving accounts. 

I'll look towards Chase next. My profile isn't ready now. I need to get in with them next though since I'm at 4/24.

Just some other notes when I apped, they pulled TU which my fico is 640 or 650 something like that. Utilization is 0%. Yes I do have negatives on my account (some 30 day lates and a join owner foreclosure).

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU shock and awe

Congtats

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow I'm super jealous Smiley Happy I couldn't get a mere $500 from them. Congratulations! can you share if you keep high balance in your checking/savings with them? I'm not sure of the best course of action since my cc apps are denied and recon denied as well Smiley Sad

How many inquiries too? I have 32 inquries on my TU YIKES!!! I need to hide in a closet!

Message 3 of 20
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 Logged in and confirmed the APR was 9.9%!! Then came the awe... my starting limit.... $23,700.00... I had to pick my jaw up on that once. 

I wanted to share this long story to give hope to those in similar situations... and maybe gloat a little but cmon that is insane compared to the rest of my revolving accounts. 

I'll look towards Chase next. My profile isn't ready now. I need to get in with them next though since I'm at 4/24.

Just some other notes when I apped, they pulled TU which my fico is 640 or 650 something like that. Utilization is 0%. Yes I do have negatives on my account (some 30 day lates and a join owner foreclosure).

And this is precisely why I always recommend NFCU to those with less than stellar scores. Fantastic!! Congratulations.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freaking awesome! Congrats!  

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Big Congratulations!

Message 6 of 20
nrm
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

May 1st of this year I really started to care and grow my credit profile. A thin profile and some careless mistakes made me a subprime borrower. I wouldn't call it a rebuild since I don't know of a time were I had great credit. If I did, I never took notice. My loan rates were okay and my one emergency credit card was all I needed. 

Flash forward to yesterday. I have my local FCU card ($2,000), Discover secured ($1000), Cap 1 QS1 ($800), Cap 1 QS (Platinum converted $800). Last three cards were all opened in May of this year. 

Like many hear, I had decided to join NFCU as part of my build plan. Joined with them a month or so ago. Tossed some money in both the checking and savings and let the account sit while I raised scores a little higher - I had some active disputes. A week after opening the account, I received an email invite code for cashRewards card. I ignored it because I wasn't ready. I did the same with the postcard they sent me a week later.

Yesterday my disputes were complete so I went to the local branch and asked if my invite code was still good and they said it should be. I said alright and asked if I get approved and the card is under $5000 if I get a CLI later will it convert to a VISA signature and they said it would. That was all I needed to know so I said okay lets move forward with the application.

Instant approval!! I was kind of shocked. Sure I had an invite code, but I still thought I might be denied. Then came more shock when she told me the APR 9.9% which is the lowest! but.... she couldn't tell me the SL. She said I would get a message from them online later. I was kind of bummed but thought oh well. With that APR maybe I'll get lucky and it will be $5000 and I could get the VISA signature. 

Well I had to go to work, but when I got home I checked my email from them and had a message. Logged in and confirmed the APR was 9.9%!! Then came the awe... my starting limit.... $23,700.00... I had to pick my jaw up on that once. 

I was not exgarating when I said Navy FCU is really a joke to me.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/NFCU-is-really-a-joke-to-me/m-p/4703358#M443656

Message 7 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

That is a fantastic approval... huge congrats!   NFCU rocksheadbanger.gif

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Toast-Fireworks-Gif.gif

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats masseffect!

"Shock and awe..." How appropriate! I have similar stats to you and was equally stunned when NFCU gave me a SL of $17,900. What a relief after 10 years of toy limit cards.
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Super NFCU rocks!!
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.