Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal (NFCU) CashRewards $25,000 @9.9% + $200 Bonus Instant Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal (NFCU) CashRewards $25,000 @9.9% + $200 Bonus Instant Approval

The credit story rebirth began...

Two years ago exactly today (30 minutes ago to be exact) I stumbled onto two different credit forums MyFico.com and CB.com that forever changed all my businesses and my life.

When I first joined the word on the credit forum street was all about how amazing the three credit union horsemen who were known as...

- Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU)

- Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed)

- NASA Federal Credit Union 

I knew I would never be able to get into NFCU since I'm not related to anyone in the military, which is heralded as the Mount Olympus of credit unions. I thought maybe I could get into PenFed and NASA. Skip forward two years later and after pulling my TU FICO 08 from MyFico I was poised to apply online for an NFCU Flagship Signature Visa.

777 myfico.jpg*Another additional data point = UTI was 7% and 3 total TU inquiries at time of application.

As the credit gods would have it I tried to apply online, but the submit button for the disclosures had a glitch and after trying two different browsers and computers I decided to apply online on my S7 phone. Not a good omen I thought. Smiley Sad

Another curveball was thrown at me when I saw this pop up below on the Navy website. Mama didn't raise a CreditLuv dummy, so I decided to apply for the CashRewards for my first card rather than the Flagship.

As the timeless Ferris Buehler once said, "Life (credit life) moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

$200 cashback + 1.5%.jpg

Then in a matter of seconds, I was instantly approved for this amount and interest with no POI. 

NFCU $25K 9.90% Sept 1, 2016.jpg

To top things off I will get the shiny new card by noon tomorrow via FedEx. Smiley Surprised

I could ask and get a bigger credit line if I would be willing to show POI or get the $15K NavCheck. But my plan has always been to wait three months after I get approved for an NFCU CC and then show one of my businesses bank statements for the NavCheck approval and then ask for a CLI at that time. I'll also pick @creditaddict brain and hopefully some of his NFCU credit voodoo tricks and strategies still work. Smiley Very Happy

For all of the newbies on here or people with several years left before baddies fall off and you see the good to great credit light. Two years flys by in a flash but someday's and even months feel like you're trying to crawl through a puddle of credit sewage (think the iconic Andy Dufresne crawling through sewage scene in The Shawshank Redemption).

andy.jpg

One of the best quotes from Bill Gates is, "Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years."

Credit prison only lasts a maximum of 7 years, so don't look at one year look at what you can do within 2-3 years.

May The Credit Force Be With You Always.

CreditLuv

P.S. NASA blows super huge chunks (that intel and tragic story will be told this weekend so stay tuned). @Captool was right about them. 

P.P.S Thanks, Senorita Baller for the one post I saw from you that led me to learn how to get into NFCU easily and properly. 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
NYFan63
Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal (NFCU) CashRewards $25,000 @9.9% + $200 Bonus Instant Approval

Congrats CreditLuv. Awesome SL and GREAT rate! Thanks for sharing.
Penfed Platinum Sig Visa $33k, PenFed PLOC $25k, NFCU Cash VISA Sig 22k, NFCU Visa Flagship 22k, CAP1 Venture $23k, CAP1 Venture One $15k, NFCU NAV Check $15k, Barclays Arrival $13,2k, DCU VISA 5k, Cap1 QS 7.5k, WF Finance 3.5k, Merrick 2.2k, Barclays Apple Financing 6.1k BestBuy 5k >Ch7 BK filed 8/09; DC 01/10 EQ 636 Nov 13;
EQ08 718 | TU 731 | EXP 728
Inqs: EQ 11, TU 8, EXP 11(last 2 yrs)
Goal 750+ In the Garden til

Message 2 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Huge congrats on an awesome approval!

I can't say I'm surprised, though... I had a feeling things would go well for you!  Smiley Very Happy

P.S.  Thanks for the data points! 

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Toast-Fireworks-Gif.gif

Message 3 of 28
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats CreditLuv this is amazing ! I'm glad you got what you.wanted and hoped for.
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I wanted and hoped for was a Playboy Playmate from Santa Claus, but I'll take high credit limits with low-interest rates as modest consolation prizes. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB

From our talks when NFCU asked on the application about employment I put down private employer full-time instead of choosing self-employed. Those were the only two options that applied to me.

Hopefully, when I app PenFed in December they will be at least 80% as kind on my credit card application.
Message 6 of 28
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

I love reading your approval threads lol....congrats!!
TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 28
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

You're a good story teller 😃
TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

Awesome sauce!! I knew you would do very well with Navy Fed!! I also told you to be leary of NASA. They are the worse CU I have dealt with. Can't wait to read about your experience. 😩

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just love your approval stories Smiley LOL Congrats! 

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.