cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Platinum.

tcbofade
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Navy Platinum.

I've got mixed feelings about this one...

 

Drove to my local NFCU to join and apply for a loan...got approved for membership, denied for the loan.  Denied for the CLOC.

 

Drove home, applied for the Platinum card online...approved for $3.5k.

 

 

09/01/21 Fico 8: EX 736, EQ 750, TU 746.
09/04/21 Fico 9: EX 741, EQ 757, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Navy Platinum.


@tcbofade wrote:

I've got mixed feelings about this one...

 

Drove to my local NFCU to join and apply for a loan...got approved for membership, denied for the loan.  Denied for the CLOC.

 

Drove home, applied for the Platinum card online...approved for $3.5k.

 


Hey, nothing to have mixed feeling about... it's an approval!  Good job!  screamer.gif

 

Message 2 of 22
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Platinum.

Great approval. Does that help you somewhat with APR for a BT? Since I know what you were orginally trying to accomplish. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ611 TU637 EX 599


in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 3 of 22
tcbofade
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Platinum.


@Sandman771 wrote:

Great approval. Does that help you somewhat with APR for a BT? Since I know what you were orginally trying to accomplish. 


I suppose it COULD.  I did not do any BTs without knowing what the credit limit would be...now that I know the credit line, I have to wait for the card to get here to do any transfers...and certainly have CCs at higher interest rates that I can use the zero percent transfer fee on and be saving dollars on interest...

 

..the goal, however, was to reduce my monthly obligations.

 

I MAY be able to put three or four small balance, high interest rate cards onto the new card, lowering the interest that I'm paying AND reduce the monthly payment...  we shall see. 

09/01/21 Fico 8: EX 736, EQ 750, TU 746.
09/04/21 Fico 9: EX 741, EQ 757, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 22
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Navy Platinum.

I know it might not seem like it, but not getting the CLOC could be a blessing in disguise.  Smiley Wink

 

It's likely if approved it would have been at the 17.9% APR, and they would have never adjusted it - you would have been stuck with that rate for life (unless you decided to close it and re-apply, of course).  In any case, it would have been a 'ding' to your AAoA for no reason.

 

With the platinum, even if the limit is less than you were hoping for you know it will grow quickly, and the rate will get lower with time as well. Smiley Happy

 

I know it's hard to see now, from from my viewpoint things actually turned out quite well!  Smiley Very Happy

 

Side note:  If you want the CLOC for overdraft protection there's an excellent chance you can reapply in a few months and get approved... that's actually quite common as well (especially if you went for the full $15k today).  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 22
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Navy Platinum.

Smiley Happy Congrats TC on getting in with NFCU good for you!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 22
sleeplessinsf
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Platinum.

Congratulations on the PLAT! What @UncleB said about blessing in disguise. That’s how I feel now about my denied HELOC.




Message 7 of 22
tcbofade
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Platinum.


@UncleB wrote:

I know it might not seem like it, but not getting the CLOC could be a blessing in disguise.  Smiley Wink

 

It's likely if approved it would have been at the 17.9% APR, and they would have never adjusted it - you would have been stuck with that rate for life (unless you decided to close it and re-apply, of course).  In any case, it would have been a 'ding' to your AAoA for no reason.

 

With the platinum, even if the limit is less than you were hoping for you know it will grow quickly, and the rate will get lower with time as well. Smiley Happy

How quickly? 

 

I know it's hard to see now, from from my viewpoint things actually turned out quite well!  Smiley Very Happy

 

Side note:  If you want the CLOC for overdraft protection there's an excellent chance you can reapply in a few months and get approved... that's actually quite common as well (especially if you went for the full $15k today).  Smiley Happy  Asked for $12k.  No counter offer, straight denial. 


Thanks UncleB. 

 

Honestly, I was more interested in the installment loan, but the rate wasn't terrific either.  You've mentioned a possible rate reduction in 12 months, and that IS something to look forward to.  How long do I need to wait before requesting a CLI?

 

May or may not reapply for the CLOC next year...  we shall see.

09/01/21 Fico 8: EX 736, EQ 750, TU 746.
09/04/21 Fico 9: EX 741, EQ 757, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 8 of 22
Disabled-Vet
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Platinum.

Well at least you got in with them. Congrats on getting the card. Dv


     $500         $1,000        $1,300        $1,500        $1,850         $3,400        $3,500                            $9,500        $1,000
Message 9 of 22
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Navy Platinum.


@tcbofade wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I know it might not seem like it, but not getting the CLOC could be a blessing in disguise.  Smiley Wink

 

It's likely if approved it would have been at the 17.9% APR, and they would have never adjusted it - you would have been stuck with that rate for life (unless you decided to close it and re-apply, of course).  In any case, it would have been a 'ding' to your AAoA for no reason.

 

With the platinum, even if the limit is less than you were hoping for you know it will grow quickly, and the rate will get lower with time as well. Smiley Happy

How quickly? 

 

I know it's hard to see now, from from my viewpoint things actually turned out quite well!  Smiley Very Happy

 

Side note:  If you want the CLOC for overdraft protection there's an excellent chance you can reapply in a few months and get approved... that's actually quite common as well (especially if you went for the full $15k today).  Smiley Happy  Asked for $12k.  No counter offer, straight denial. 


Thanks UncleB. 

 

Honestly, I was more interested in the installment loan, but the rate wasn't terrific either.  You've mentioned a possible rate reduction in 12 months, and that IS something to look forward to.  How long do I need to wait before requesting a CLI?

 

May or may not reapply for the CLOC next year...  we shall see.


For the CLI you'll want to wait until 91 days and the third statement... if it were me I would wait until the AR following both of these for the best shot at a SP, but of course a HP is always possible (my one and only CLI with them was after an AR and was a HP so YMMV).  There's some talk of six months, but that seems to be between CLIs (at least for most).

 

If you plan to do a significant BT before then the results might be a bit more unpredictable, but many have received CLIs while carrying a balance so YMMV there as well... for the nuts-and-bolts check out the mega thread... you'll also be able to get a feel for the latest 'trends'.  Smiley Wink

 

As for the CLOC, at one time the 'rule' was aim high and let them counter, but that seems to be hit-and-miss these days.  There's multiple reports of people getting a decline with no counter and reapplying for a lower amount and being approved, and there's also more than a couple of reports of just waiting a few months and reapplying for the full $15k and getting it.

 

In any case you have your foot in the door now, so it's only up from here!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.