cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$13.00 late payment dropped CL from 11K to 500 - Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $13.00 late payment dropped CL from 11K to 500 - Advice?

@CreditPreditor wrote:

Yah, I don't know... The website is pretty bad though. Any time I click on transaction details, it says "this information is unavailable right now". Regardless or browser, clearing cache, etc. If I try to pay in full ahead of time it tells me there is no balance and wont let me (even though there is one). I can only call and do it over the phone. This alone dropped my score temporarily by 18 points because the card is at 80% utilization until the measily $400 payment goes through.

Sounds like you need to get rid of that card if it's more than a new low limit that's causing a problem. 

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Three words,

Never Trust Autopay.

I always make my payments manually a good 2 to 3 weeks before they're due. That way if something happens I still have plenty of time to re-pay it.

Try calling them and explaining what happend. If that fails dump the card and move on. You were most likely to good for that card anyway... with your 20k limits and all.

Agreed. The downside of paying on due date. Pay way early, and you have plenty of time to recover from issues. 

Message 12 of 21
CreditPreditor
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditPreditor wrote:

For those telling me how to use autopay.. That's not what I am here for. I couldnt set up autopay online since its co branded or whatever. I called and the associate told me that it was set up. Sure, I made a mistake and trusted that. Not really interested in any more opinions about how to use auto pay or whatever. My CURRENT scores are 700-750 regardless of this.

My QUESTION is what advice so you have as far as contacting US Bank and negotiating my limit back? Thanks

Well, then. 

It seems that you've gotten lots of suggestions for your QUESTION. - to recap: call them, explain, request goodwill, ask for limit to be restored....

Short of someone calling for you, I think you've got all you can out of this since you don't want any other suggestions or conversation about your predicament. 

Thanks for your valuable contribution

Message 13 of 21
NRB525
Super Contributor

Sorry if the comments come across as too harsh. I was relating my experience with autopay. In the original post, it was not clear how the autopay was set up. Many of the comments provided here are based on people’s direct experience and while it may not exactly match your situation there may be parts that relate.

It is common here to not get the entire story in the first post, so clarification is often requested by me.

Thus the question to clarify what sort of late was involved. If it is a few days, that means it is internal to US Bank, and probably more negotiable. But you said it was a couple months, so if that means a 30 day late, could be a score impact.

As far as the REI card, I don’t have that but I have three US Bank cards, and had the Fred Meyer card, which is a sort of co-brand card. So my experience with setting up auto pay with US Bank I presumed may apply here. But it sounds like maybe not.

Have you called or visited a US Bank branch? They are very relationship oriented, so if you have had the card a while and this is the one blemish, maybe they can take steps to increase the CL.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 21
CreditPreditor
Established Member

So for anyone having a similar issue to this, I figured it out.

The trick is DO NOT call the number on the back of the US Bank/REI Card. Google "US Bank Contact" and use THAT number (it's not on their actual website). I called this number and they have better account access. They were able to get in contact with underwriting and run the inquiry as soft pull.

Message 15 of 21
CreditPreditor
Established Member

Actually, the number is on the site, but I could not find it while logged into the platform on my account. Im just used to always calling the number on the back of my cards to get service. The number on the back of this card is very limited in terms of what they can actually help you with and I assume this goes for other banks/cards too, so this may be of some value for anyone else experiencing similar problems.

Message 16 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@CreditPreditor wrote:

The trick is DO NOT call the number on the back of the US Bank/REI Card. Google "US Bank Contact" and use THAT number (it's not on their actual website). I called this number and they have better account access. They were able to get in contact with underwriting and run the inquiry as soft pull.

For future referrence, we have a thread with backdoor numbers, including u.s. bank underwriting.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066#M5530

Message 17 of 21
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

This might have been said already but, log into each credit card at least once per month to check on things. 

1. if the payment made was processed

2. if there are unknown charges make with the card

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 18 of 21
CreditPreditor
Established Member

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@CreditPreditor wrote:

For future referrence, we have a thread with backdoor numbers, including u.s. bank underwriting.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066#M5530

Thanks, that's all I needed!

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

11,000 to 500 for a $13.00 late payment seems pretty ridiculous.  I'd drop them if that happened to me.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.