Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Years with AMEX

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: 2 Years with AMEX

@wasCB14 wrote:

When did you take out the car loan? 75 months is a reasonably long term for a car loan and might not have helped.

I think it's pretty rare for Amex to recon a denial if the original application was complete (and you didn't fail to mention some other source of income). They stick by the computer's decision.

I'm not sure about any particular "leash timeline". $500 and $1000 SLs are "squeak in" ones (assuming no income constraint), but it may really depend on how long it takes for a profile to improve.

641+~150=~791...but a high score may not be enough with at least one collection and at least one chargeoff still remaining. I didn't realize a score could be that high with those baddies. I think your Cap1 cards are fairly old, though?

They've not given a CLI to the $1k, but you have sort of gotten a CLI with the $1400 and the charge card.

*And I'd cool it with the apps and CLI requests if you're uneasy about possibly going through an FR (or just don't want to share that info with Amex).

Car loan was on 7/12/20, so installment loan balance has been impacting other cards, but almost no denials for apps or CLI.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, 641 was at the time of my first amex approval. I was talking about since I started the rebuild. I apped with them to see if I was still blacklisted and they were SPing me frequently after the first one, so while they didn't see they entire jump in the score, they could see it trending upwards of they were keeping track.

Currently have 3 collections that are workers comp and shouldn't be on there. With those gone, I'd probably be in the 700s. Unfortunately, until I can get those removed, they're hindering me and Amex doesn't care that they shouldn't be on there. AAoA on EX is 5 yrs 5 mos. AoOA, depending on bureau is 18-19 years.

The Gold charge is really the only reason I'm not seriously ticked off. My internal limit with them is about $3400 before I have to pay something though.

Message 21 of 51
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Perhaps it's just the timing of it all, with you being marginally approved, and then now 2 years in, we're in the middle of a pandemic/economic recession, so it's throwing everything off.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 22 of 51
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner  I see you are a NFCU member have you thought about their Flagship Card?

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 23 of 51
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

COngrats on being with AMEX for going on over 2 years, they are believe it or not a relationship based, in my humble opinion and my opinion alone. The only thing I would have suggested would of been to wait about 13 months after your last approval and you probably would have had a better outcome. - Again, just my humble opinion. 

Message 24 of 51
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner  I see you are a NFCU member have you thought about their Flagship Card?

They've told me I was pre-approved twice and both times I was denied because they wouldn't give me the minimum starting line. Currently, I'm waiting for the SUB before I attempt again.

Message 25 of 51
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Harvey26 wrote:

They've told me I was pre-approved twice and both times I was denied because they wouldn't give me the minimum starting line. Currently, I'm waiting for the SUB before I attempt again.

If you can transfer some of your Delta Gold CL to your Delta Platinum, and show a few months of history with that, you may find it easier to reach the $5k minimum. Otherwise, your highest existing CL would be $1500.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 26 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Harvey26 wrote:

If you can transfer some of your Delta Gold CL to your Delta Platinum, and show a few months of history with that, you may find it easier to reach the $5k minimum. Otherwise, your highest existing CL would be $1500.

He could only move $500 due to the minimum CL, any benefit may be debatable since that'd still only be $1900

Having SSL and/or direct deposits do influence Navy, however

Message 27 of 51
ccquest
Established Contributor

I think it's all tied to those collections you've got. Whether you like it or not, an active collection on your report is one of the biggest hindrances. There's people approved 5 years post BK and don't get anything other than the initial approval until it falls off completely.

Just continue to work diligently to get those removed, and you should be golden to get some nice increases across the board.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 28 of 51
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Harvey26 wrote:

I'm gonna assume you meant More Rewards and Platinum. The Platinum is at 6400 already.

Message 29 of 51
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Harvey26 wrote:

He could only move $500 due to the minimum CL, any benefit may be debatable since that'd still only be $1900

Having SSL and/or direct deposits do influence Navy, however

The minimum line for the Delta Gold is now $1000, which is why we don't see $500 approvals anymore.

Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.