Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$3k charge on my DCU

tag
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

$3k charge on my DCU

I’m so sad! I just dropped $3k on plane tickets and the only card with a high enough limit was my DCU (so no rewards ☹️). I was hoping I could do it on a new card to go towards a SUB when I apply in a few weeks, but the price for a direct flight was too good to pass up. Will DCU like seeing higher spend on my card, even if I PIF? What’s it take to get a CLI from them?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $3k charge on my DCU

Ask DCU  :Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Hex
Valued Contributor

I called DCU yesterday asking about upgrading to the Rewards version of their card and they said you need a EQ FICO 5 (mortgage) score of 675 or above to get upgraded. If you request it it’s a hard pull. Otherwise you can wait for a quarterly review. My EQ FICO 5 was 674 yesterday but it didn’t matter because I wouldn’t take a hard pull to upgrade that card because it only pays 1%. Maybe if your EQ 5 score is 675 it would be worth it to you to try to upgrade now. I would call and ask them if you could get the points if you did it before the transaction posted. I would get you $30. Just a thought.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hex wrote:
I called DCU yesterday asking about upgrading to the Rewards version of their card and they said you need a EQ FICO 5 (mortgage) score of 675 or above to get upgraded. If you request it it’s a hard pull. Otherwise you can wait for a quarterly review. My EQ FICO 5 was 674 yesterday but it didn’t matter because I wouldn’t take a hard pull to upgrade that card because it only pays 1%. Maybe if your EQ 5 score is 675 it would be worth it to you to try to upgrade now. I would call and ask them if you could get the points if you did it before the transaction posted. I would get you $30. Just a thought.

News to me that they would offer the upgrade automatically - I have a 696 EQ5 as of my April 26th update. I don’t really care though since I never use the card and it has the smallest limit of any of my cards at $1K, just an interesting bit of info I guess. 

@KLEXH25 You can check for pre-approved offers to increase your credit limit, open the app, go to Acct Manager, hit Apply for a Loan, and it will say accept offer if you have anything available. 

Message 4 of 11
Hex
Valued Contributor

Also since you already have a Cap1 Card if you’ve had it more than 6 months you could look to see if you have a Cap1 pre-approval for a better Cap1 Card. If you do -you have a pretty good chance of getting the new Cap1 Card. I have the Cap1 mobile app and when I got my 2nd and 3rd cards from them them all the data I needed to use the card online or over the phone was available in the app as soon as I was approved. Maybe then you could call the airline and swap out the card you used for a new Cap1 Card. If you end up having to have verification for the application it might take too long to work but it might be worth a try. Just a thought. If you could get the Venture Card you could pocket $500 for the SUB plus $60 for the $3K of spend. If I were you I’d take a look.
Message 5 of 11
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Saeren Yeah I check my offers everyday for any auto CLI but nothing yet. I’ve only had the card 7 months. EQ score was 715 on 4/26. I don’t care enough to apply with a HP, but I’ve read of people getting CLI offers and wondering what it takes.

@Hex I will have my Cap1 card for 1 year on 5/31. Haven’t seen any preapprovals yet, and I check often. Good thing SPs don’t count!! I will be checking my offers after the year mark and when my scores update (after AZEO). Unfortunately it will be too late for this purchase.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are definitely conservative but charging up $3K and paying it off could help a lot lol. 

Message 7 of 11
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Man, when I thought I had it bad lol... I just spent like almost $70 on food in a place that categorize it as groceries 😂 it's my 7th time being their too and crazy thing is I should have checked my statement and look at it more clearly smh. Yeah, that wasn't a smart move bro, I would have gotten a rewards card with a high sub like the cash Ink, it happens bro. Learn from this mistake. We will always continue to learn about the credit card game works.
Message 8 of 11
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Well this time last year, I had NO credit to my name, so I’ve come a long way (thanks to you guys). I have no idea where I’d be if I hadn’t found MyFico. Also grateful that DCU gave me a decent limit so early on. Just can’t wait until the point that I can pick the card of my choosing for a purchase without worrying about limits or utilization, AND get rewarded for it. Some day........

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

With your scores, it won’t be long. I’m at that point now with multiple cards and my credit file is tarnished with a BK until next August.

I have 2y9m to 3y10m AAoA depending on the bureau though so that helps.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.