Did you mean: 

833 FICO and getting Turned down on Cash Back Cards

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: 833 FICO and getting Turned down on Cash Back Cards

@Horseshoez wrote:

Sorry @Anonymous, you totally lost me.  Personally I'm advocate of simply having a few "Rewards" cards, using them and paying them off.  Playing games with applying, opening, and then closing card after card after card is just way too much work and equally too time consuming for me to bother with. 

For a while it was a very lucrative venture when combined with MS.  To a large part the top card issuers have managed over the last 3 years or so to make it a lot more difficult.

(7/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 21 of 24
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

Sorry @Anonymous, you totally lost me.  Personally I'm advocate of simply having a few "Rewards" cards, using them and paying them off.  Playing games with applying, opening, and then closing card after card after card is just way too much work and equally too time consuming for me to bother with. 

For a while it was a very lucrative venture when combined with MS.  To a large part the top card issuers have managed over the last 3 years or so to make it a lot more difficult.

I guess "lucrative" is a relative term.  My time is valuable, and screwing around for a few hundred dollars here and there is not worth my time.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 22 of 24
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Greetings johnnytuinals ~ Welcome to the forum . . . No, I'm not doing what you are doing . . . I'm building a credit history with the 8 cards that I have.Smiley Wink

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 23 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

I guess "lucrative" is a relative term.  My time is valuable, and screwing around for a few hundred dollars here and there is not worth my time.

Well, for those getting in heavy in MS in the good old days. it could be well over $100K a year (and you could persuade yourself it wasn't THAT much work!)   That's much more MS than sign up bonus, which I agree isn't going to be game changing.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.