Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 200%CL ALGORITHM???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX 200%CL ALGORITHM???

Hey everyone...

My skymiles platinum has a training wheel Cl of $1700..and max APR..

I was chatting with a CSR one night and they mentioned something about a 200%CL ALGORITHM that their system has for CLI.

ANYONE know anything about it and how it works??

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX 200%CL ALGORITHM???

Browse through this thread for info on how Amex CLIs work: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide.  Basically, after your card has been open for 61 days Amex will entertain CLI requests of up to 3x your current limit.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, yes i have read it..but i have seen people say it is hard to get out of the training wheel Cl's like 1k-2k..mine is $1700..should i build more of a history before trying.. Because if denied don't i have to wait like 91 to181 days to try again?

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

And the 200% of current Cl use algorithm. Is without any request by me.. From what i understood.

Message 4 of 16
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you, yes i have read it..but i have seen people say it is hard to get out of the training wheel Cl's like 1k-2k..mine is $1700..should i build more of a history before trying.. Because if denied don't i have to wait like 91 to181 days to try again?

With a $1,700 SL out of the gate, I doubt you would get an increase on day 61. People talk about it like it's common, but it actually ends up being a "no" far more often than a "yes." There is nothing wrong with asking at that point however, and it's always possible they give you an increase, just not likely. The dates you mention are accurate. If you ask them for a CLI and are denied, then you must wait 91 days until they will entertain another request. If you ask them for a CLI and are approved, you may request another increase after 181 days. How do your reports look? Do you have any COs/BK on them? AMEX can be skittish about certain things that are on your profile. A few late payments will probably not be the end of the world to them, but COs or a BK will likely put you on a short leash with them all the way until they fall off of your reports. They would probably even approve you for more cards with them, but they would all stay at low limits until your reports get cleaned up. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 5 of 16
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As said above, you would need to wait 91 days if denied, but if your $1.7k SL indicates a marginal approval you will probably have to wait more than 61+91 days for an increase anyway.  Imo, there'd be no real risk in asking, and if denied the denial reasons will give you an idea of what in your profile you can work on to help them warm up to you.

@Anonymous wrote:

And the 200% of current Cl use algorithm. Is without any request by me.. From what i understood

I can't speak to what an Amex CSR may or may not have meant, but Amex does do auto-CLI's.  It's just that their cardholder-initiated CLI's are SP and can be extremely generous, so most ppl here don't wait for an auto-increase w/ them.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX SKYMILES PLATINUM

Well i got my skymiles opened 2/17/21..and just received my 70k miles today and have it pif at 200% of my $1700 cl. Let's see how many miles i have when my statement end on the 19th...# rackingupmiles

Message 7 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX SKYMILES PLATINUM

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 8 of 16
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Congratulations 

Message 9 of 16
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.