Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Approval Scores

tag
FicoTron
Established Contributor

AMEX Approval Scores

I have been rebuilding for 2 years now and really want an AMEX.  After checking periodically for the past year, I finally have pre-selected offers on their website for ZYNC, Green, and Blue.  I know it would be smart getting in the door with ZYNC or Green, but I would like a revolver.  I had a chargeoff from 2006 that I tried getting taken off until about December 2011, which is when I broke down and promptly paid.  This chargeoff is not from a CC or loan, it was a rapid refund ($443) from H&R Block that wasn't paid back from the government and I didn't know until I began monitoring my scores in 2010.  So that, and a 2 30day lates, both of which over 6 years old are on my report.  EX fako is between 685-710.  I am asking everyone who has been  approved for an AMEX with similar, or worse scores, especially with a baddie or two, to post their app process and say what their score was AT THE TIME, and describe the baddies they had at that time as well.  I look forward to some feedback.

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 1 of 300
299 REPLIES 299
dharalex
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Approval Scores

I received an Amex PRG and Blue in 9/2011. I applied online for both and got instant approvals with 1 EX pull. My EQ was in high 680s and TU was 704, but I didnt know and still don't know my EX FICO score. I had about 6 30 day lates from 2007-8 and 1 in 4/2011. No CO or judgments. I was a past AU in 2004. The acct was closed by Amex with a balance, but has since been PIF. They did backdate me to 2004 without asking. I never expected to get this, but since I received pre approvals for both, I bit the bullet.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 2 of 300
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a few cases of people getting in with a collection or other type of baddie. Fako scores dont really help as they casn be 100 points off. The only way to know fore sure would be to apply. 

Message 3 of 300
Anonymous
Not applicable

The scores listed in my siggy were the scores I had when I was recently approved for the zync card.

Also I have read that if you are a card member and apply for a new card it will only be a soft inquiry if you are denied. It will only be  a hard pull if you are approved. 

So you could app for one of the charge cards which are easier to get, and then if approved you could app for the revolver. 

Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Message 4 of 300
Anonymous
Not applicable

No baddies, minimal AAoA, only 2 cards and I applied to Amex for a BCE.. got apporved, but then again my EX was 748.

I say go for a charge and revolver at the same time, and hopefully you just get 1 INQ.

Message 5 of 300
nomoore
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No baddies, minimal AAoA, only 2 cards and I applied to Amex for a BCE.. got apporved, but then again my EX was 748.

I say go for a charge and revolver at the same time, and hopefully you just get 1 INQ.

And make sure you go for the charge card first since it is easier, otherwise if you get denied on the revolver you have to wait a while before apping for the charge card.

Open Credit Cards:   Target Visa/5900CL    |    AMEX BCP/6000CL
Latest Credit Scores:   780 TU (2011-08-01)
Credit Score History:   708 EQ (2011-07-01)    |    682 TU (2011-06-30)    |    693 EQ (2010-05-21)
Message 6 of 300
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I have a few late payments from 2005. Utilization is kinda high.

Aproved for BCP Jan 27th.

Ex Plus Score, 720

FICO Ex Score, 741

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 7 of 300
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'm sure that you know this, but AMEX is very quirky when it comes to approvals;  some people with 700+ scores have been rejected, others with 600ish scores approved.

I was counter~offerer approved last fall for ZYNC with $200 limit, with a sub 650 EX FICO.   They never told me what it was, but I know it was low.   

I had probably around 60% overall utilization;   3 paid CO accounts from 4 years ago, and lots of 7 year old late payments.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 300
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

I was approved for Zync in Dec. 2011 when my scores were 660-680ish, and when I had recent inquiries (2 less than 6 months old, and another 2 between 6-12 months old) and a really high utilization (due to low credit limit). Late payments (120) from Nov. 2008. When I applied, I was preapproved for Zync, Green, and Gold. I also reported some assets, if that mattered. Credit history beginning 2002, average age of accounts at the time > 1 year, but I'm not sure exactly what it was.

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 9 of 300
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EX score in my sig is from BofA and is fico. It was within a day or two or when I was approved for my AMEX PRG card. I have 2 COs, one from 2006 and 1 from 2007. Then I have 1 30 day late in 2009. I am probably going to wait until a year on my PRG before I test the waters with them on their revolver.

Good luck with you apps.

Message 10 of 300
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.