cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Authorized User but No Additional Card Issued?

tag
creativeZero7
New Contributor

AMEX Authorized User but No Additional Card Issued?

Hello all, I have a question about being added as an authorized user to my wife's Amex card.

I was added over the phone, gave my ssn number, and there were no problems. What I am confused on is this, they are not issuing me a card under the account. Instead, they are simply authorizing me to use her current physical card. When asked when my card would arrive they said it would not. If I wanted my own card under her account, they would need to hard pull my credit. I'm ok with that but wanted to educate myself on the process first.

I'd love to ask more knowledgable members about this. I was under the impression that any authorized user receives a card to make charging to the account convenient. Especially as a spouse, the whole point of adding me to her account was to have that convenience. They simply told us that I can take her card and sign on it. That is strange as my name is not on the card and as a merchant myself, these things are not looked upon well in person in most cases...someone presenting a card that does not dawn their name.

Is this common practice for Amex? As of right now being an authorized user without a card is not very helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Authorized User but No Additional Card Issued?

She can go online and add you as a AU, try that.

The only reason that they wouldn't give you a card as an AU would be that you burned them in the past, that's the only reason I can think of.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creativeZero7 wrote:

Hello all, I have a question about being added as an authorized user to my wife's Amex card.

I was added over the phone, gave my ssn number, and there were no problems. What I am confused on is this, they are not issuing me a card under the account. Instead, they are simply authorizing me to use her current physical card. When asked when my card would arrive they said it would not. If I wanted my own card under her account, they would need to hard pull my credit. I'm ok with that but wanted to educate myself on the process first.

I'd love to ask more knowledgable members about this. I was under the impression that any authorized user receives a card to make charging to the account convenient. Especially as a spouse, the whole point of adding me to her account was to have that convenience. They simply told us that I can take her card and sign on it. That is strange as my name is not on the card and as a merchant myself, these things are not looked upon well in person in most cases...someone presenting a card that does not dawn their name.

Is this common practice for Amex? As of right now being an authorized user without a card is not very helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to MyFico

The CSR gave you erroneous information.  For AUs they don't do a HP but they will do a SP to check your credit because if you have burned them in the past they won't allow you to be an AU.  Just have your wife go online and add you as AU that way and they'll send you a card.

Message 3 of 13
creativeZero7
New Contributor

Thanks for the welcome and responses!

I'm utterly confused and will take a look with her. I have never had an Amex card so there shouldn't be any negatives there.

I'm going to assume a novice customer service rep. My wife has never carried a balance on any card, has excellent credit and income is in the six figure range. My income is lower but I am responsible with credit. Maybe since I am new to Amex they are cautious but it seems very odd to approve as user but not issue a card. It's almost comical that I was told to take my wife's card and use it.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creativeZero7 wrote:

Thanks for the welcome and responses!

I'm utterly confused and will take a look with her. I have never had an Amex card so there shouldn't be any negatives there.

I'm going to assume a novice customer service rep. My wife has never carried a balance on any card, has excellent credit and income is in the six figure range. My income is lower but I am responsible with credit. Maybe since I am new to Amex they are cautious but it seems very odd to approve as user but not issue a card. It's almost comical that I was told to take my wife's card and use it.

Thanks again.

Sadly Amex CSRs are notorious for giving out incorrect information so it's not surprising at all that you were told that a HP was required to be added as an AU.  More often than not you're far better to deal with the tools available on the online account and adding an AU is one of the features available.

Message 5 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@creativeZero7 wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to MyFico

The CSR gave you erroneous information.  For AUs they don't do a HP but they will do a SP to check your credit because if you have burned them in the past they won't allow you to be an AU.  Just have your wife go online and add you as AU that way and they'll send you a card.

+1  ^^^  All of the above is spot-on.  Smiley Wink

If you're a true AU you'll definitely get a card with your own name on it... honestly I've never heard of any issuer (especially Amex) making somebody an AU then telling them it's OK to use a spouse's card.  I'm no longer a merchant, but like you I can see all kinds of issues with that, and back when I was the one swiping the card (before self-swipe) if there was an issue and I noticed something 'weird' like multiple signatures on a personal card I would have definitely "run it through the wringer" to make sure it was OK.

I'm sorry you got bad info from Amex, but like Irish mentioned your wife can do this herself using the website and it will only take a few keystrokes.  Also, there will be no HP as you aren't seeking credit... that part from the CSR was wrong too.  The only time I've ever heard of somebody having a problem is if they burned Amex in the past, but since you didn't there's nothing to be concerned with. 

Another 'plus' is that your card will have a slightly different card number, so you'll get to basically 'double dip' on Amex Offers with that account.  Smiley Happy

Enjoy your new Amex! 

Message 6 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@creativeZero7 wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to MyFico

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This all day long^^^^^^^^^^^^

My niece just graduated from High School 2 weeks ago and is on her way to college.....Yay 

So I wanted her to start building credit now for the future. I also warned her the CCC's would be trying to give her cards at school but don't take the bait.

I contacted Amex to add her as an AU on a high limit card by adding her SS# because if I didn't it may have not shown up on her CR's because we are in different states and she has no file .....Possibly no way to link via address 

In Amex case of using SS#'s AU's are issued their own card with a different number 

The only thing that I knew which is Amex policy the card wouldn't be shipped to her but to the primary's address so when the card arrived I activated it

Set a spending limit and sent it FED-EX it to her

I did ask anyway could it be shipped to her but comfirmed NO

She has a monthly allowance as long as her grades are maintained she wants to be a doctor 

Unc is down with that!!!!!!!!Heart

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 13
creativeZero7
New Contributor

That's very kind of you to introduce your niece to responsible credit usage! Thanks everyone for the insight as well.

Despite the bad info from the customer service rep, they did take all my info without issue when we called previously so I'm sure a card will be on the way. If not, we'll go ahead and do it online as recommended here.

The BCE card is what my wife has and it just makes sense to have one in my pocket as well. I guess I could have applied for a separate card myself but as a household sometimes it just makes sense to have your spouse authorized. We keep our cards separate otherwise, but are dilligent to run everyday errands on that particular card since its got a great benefit. The rep just wasn't making that connection for some reason. Maybe he thought I wanted to be a joint account holder. Nonetheless, onward we go.

Message 8 of 13
creativeZero7
New Contributor

Here's an update, after checking the account online, the rep added me as an "account manager" with "full access" but not as an authorized user under the account. I honestly have no clue where he interepretted requesting to be an authorized user as anything else, but it looks like he just set me up to basically be able to manage the account but not use it. So we'll go ahead and request an additional card online.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creativeZero7 wrote:

Here's an update, after checking the account online, the rep added me as an "account manager" with "full access" but not as an authorized user under the account. I honestly have no clue where he interepretted requesting to be an authorized user as anything else, but it looks like he just set me up to basically be able to manage the account but not use it. So we'll go ahead and request an additional card online.

Wow..... that's really strange.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.