Which is better?

'splain...Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE vs Costco?

Do you have a Costco membership?  I like the Costco because it looks cooler :-P

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 2 of 25
electra
Established Contributor

I do have a Costco membership.  In fact, they just talked me into upgrading it the other day to "executive"....oooh!  (We'll see if I keep it.)

Funny,  I actually like the look of the BCE better but, looks are only skin (or plastic) deep.  Smiley Happy   Which is a "better" card and why?

Message 3 of 25
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Kinda off topic but does anyone know if you use a BCP at Costco do you get the 60% percent.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 4 of 25
ElCamino
Contributor

Which is better depends on your situation.

If you have a Costco membership, then you don't need to worry about the True Earnings Card's AF, so that's a bonus.

In order to determine which is best, we'd need to know how much money you figure you spend at Costco, how much you spend at grocery stores, and how much you spend on gas.

The Costco True Earnings card will be worth more if you do most of your shopping at Costco and also get most of your gas there. If you go to other stores more often, the BCE may be best.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 5 of 25
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

You could just get both.
Costco offers more cashback on gas!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 25
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Costco code as wholesale so u only can get 1%
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 25
rex_03
Contributor

I wouldn't mind a Costco card, but I don't have one in my area. So the choice was BCE... They both seem pretty comparable card wise too, so the one that suits you best.
Message 8 of 25
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Also I believe your TrueEarnings "cash back" is a check cut to you for use at Costco whereas the BCE is Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as statement credit.

TE is 3% on Costco and standalone gas up to $4000 annually / BCE is 2%

BCE is 3% on groceries up to $6000 annually / TE is standard 1%

BCP is 6% on groceries...

And from what I hear the BCE/BCP/Blue cards are all pretty elementary looking.  I'm weird like that, I like the look of my cards as much as I do their rewards and credit limits Smiley Happy

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 9 of 25
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

And I obviously meant 6%.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.